USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Hacking a Symbol SPT1800 Scanner

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logiczero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2024 8:04 pm    Post subject: Hacking a Symbol SPT1800 Scanner Reply with quote

I work for a small business that has some Symbol SPT1800 PalmOS-based hand-held scanners -- originally purchased for a different purpose -- that are sitting around in box. I wanted to write a scanner-capable database app for them based on Pilot-DB.

Symbol offers an SDK for free download that includes libraries for the SPT1800, but the included libraries are only meant to be used in applications that are built using CodeWarrior. The tools and code I want to use are all based on Cygwin and gcc. I found a gcc-compatible library for the SPT1500, got my application compiled with it, installed and running, but alas, a critical call in the code (retrieving the data from the scan) crashes the app. I assume it is due to slight variations in the hardware between the two models.

I contacted Symbol asking if there was a way to get a .a or .o gcc-compatible file from them (there were claims on the net that one existed at some point), but got a response saying that such a file did not exist.

In my limited knowledge of reverse engineering, I figure there are two options:
1) (easiest): Figure out a way to convert the provided CodeWarrior library into a library than can be understood and linked in with gcc.

2) (harder): Figure out how to move some nearly-useless sample scanner apps on the Symbol SPT1800 itself (which are locked to prevent them from being downloaded during HotSync) onto a machine where there are apparently some tools to decompile the .prc apps. Perhaps from that a library could be built.

I spent two weeks pouring over the net looking for something that would work. Somebody at some point was reverse-engineering the SPT1500 and I have a zip file of the code they were piecing together (there are lots of stubs in it of functions they hadn't yet fleshed out). Even though I got it to compile into my project, it too has some shortcomings that cause my app to crash. But the fact that someone was putting code together seems to indicate that it can be done...

I would love to be able to post a .o gcc library file on the web to a) stick it Symbol, and b) keep a bunch of fairly useful hardware out of the landfill awhile longer. Any assistance or ideas would be appreciated.

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you you using gcc 4.3.1?

Maybe you can provide us with a little more Information.

several problems can be solve by using gcc 3 or the latest gcc 4.3.2.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
logiczero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jada wrote:
Are you you using gcc 4.3.1?

The output from gcc --version is as follows:
Code:
gcc (GCC) 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)

I'm not sure what else is pertinent (please advise). I can't tell what version of CodeWarrior was used to create the library, other than the fact that is was their IDE for developing apps on the 68K architecture.

The page that I found mentioning the attempt to use gcc to write software for the SPT1500 can be found here:
http://www.acaciacons.com.au/scanmgr/

The source code contained in the available zip file seems to have everything I need, with the exception of the ScanSetTriggeringModes function (it is a commented-out stub in scanmgr.c).

It's not clear whether a library is meant to be built from this code, or if the code is merely a wrapper to go around the library provided in the Symbol SDK.

If generating a .o library file is the code's purpose, one thing I was not able to do was to get gcc to generate a scanmgr.o file using the -Os optimization flag as suggested on the page mentioned above. My gcc skills are pretty rudimentary, and I've just been relying on Make files to get things to compile.

Thank you for your response and any further ideas.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2024 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logiczero Welcome to USALUG Wink I'm not a programmer, so can't help you there, but we do have several here who are programmers, so stay tuned and don't give up Very Happy. Once again, welcome to the LUG.

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ logiczero

I am going to look in to it in the next days. Wink

But maybe this help you.

Google Search "Reseach Computer Sience" there are several projects.

Quote:
The TigerEYES Fixed Asset Manager(C) software application developed by Data ID Systems improves data record accuracy, reduces staff time and streamlines verification. Santa Clara County is implementing electronic touch screen voting systems for the November 2024 election, and will now have a complete "chain-of-custody" record of voting results and equipment from each polling location. By using the Symbol SPT 1800 with a trigger handle, election staff and drivers who prepare, deploy and retrieve voting supplies and equipment can ensure that the right materials are delivered to the right polling location at the right time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: