USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

adobe flash dies after compleat update!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larry815

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject: adobe flash dies after compleat update! Reply with quote

i updated 157 files, sorted of stumbled on 7 files..

now no way to get adobe flash working in Firefox or Konqeror.

it had vs. 10 in it,,tried to revert to vs 7.. no help..

this is Mepis vs. 6.5.

any ideas???

thanks

Larry

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2024 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I tried to get Flash 10 on my Arch (didn't look to see if it was in the repos) it messed up my browser, so I switched to FireFox ....... Then I installed "flashplugin" from the Arch repos and it is working fine ...... is your Flash 10 from the Mepis or Debian repos? If you got it from the Adobe site, you might check and see if the Debian or Mepis repos have a Flash in the repos, if they do, try removing the Flash (all of them) that you have now, and then install the one from the repos via apt or synaptic, and see if that works for you Very Happy

Idea BTW, isn't Mepis 6.5 kinda dated? You might need to dist upgrade or upgrade to a newer kernel to accomodate Flash 10 .... I think I read somewhere that you can use a vanilla Debian kernel in Mepis now, I'm not sure about that tho .......... I haven't used Mepis in a while, so I haven't kept up with it ........ masinick or anticapitalista would probably know, they both keep pretty close to what's happening in the Mepis community Wink
HtH's

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2024 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happened? Did that help? I had hopes that masinick or anticapitalista would have been along by now to give you some more/better advice than I could give. Remember, if you don't come back with a comment or two, we have no idea of whether my comments were helpful or not Wink

larry815

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havn't had time to do what was needed...but will first of the
week..sometimes it's hard to tell were something is downloading from.

have used mepis 7.0 some..it's a bit hard to read external hard disk with it..

thanks so for the info..

will try when i have to time do it right

larry

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2024 1:12 am    Post subject: Some things that you can do Reply with quote

MEPIS 6.5 was based on Ubuntu repositories. In terms of kernels, MEPIS always has its own kernel. The SimplyMEPIS 7.0 and forward releases have returned to using primarily Debian repositories for their code. When MEPIS packages its own applications, they are either taken from the Debian binaries or they are built and modified from the Debian sources. In the case of the kernel, Warren Woodford creates his own kernels. He certainly uses features and patches that come from the Debian kernels, but make no mistake about it, a MEPIS kernel is neither a Debian nor a Ubuntu kernel, it is a MEPIS kernel. It is the apps that were Ubuntu based in the 6.0 and 6.5 releases and Debian based both before and after that. SimplyMEPIS 7.0 apps were based on Debian Etch. The soon to be released SimplyMEPIS 8.0 is based on Debian Lenny, also soon to be released.

Regarding Flash, this has been a pretty big problem. The MEPIS Lovers forum has had several discussions on it. Some people have just grabbed the latest binary from the Adobe site and used that. Others have found packages updates that worked. I am afraid that MEPIS 6.5 is no longer officially supported because the Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06 Long Term Support (LTS) repositories are not supported either.

If you are experienced with Debian, you could probably point the repositories to Debian Lenny and update and get away with it, but you would have to know what to do if certain LIKELY scenarios were to come up. If you are not a tweaker, that is not the right answer for you.

A better answer would be to do two things:

1. Grab a copy of SimplyMEPIS 8.0 Beta 5. It is close enough to final that it works REALLY well on my systems.
2. Go over to the MEPIS Lovers Forums and monitor activities about the 8.0 release - right now the Beta 5 build. Also examine the discussions about Flash. I have not had an issue myself because I am constantly updating my systems, but I recall seeing discussions there. I am sure that someone will be glad to help you further. It is as helpful of a group as we are here. Oh yes, both anti and I can be seen over there from time to time too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: