USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Choosing a Distro before installing help...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Installation and Bootloaders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadow Puppet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2024 4:19 am    Post subject: Choosing a Distro before installing help... Reply with quote

Hi, I am new to USA LUG and hope I can get some help here. I've read a few forums and I have seen it posted on different ones that Linux is better for programming then Windows is, or well Linux is more preferred. So i was wandering is there anyway that I can run a live CD(I need suggestions for one by the way) and also run a program off my hard drive.(I lost my USB flash drive and cant afford another one right now) So if you could help me out with this I would highly appreciate all the help and responses. Smile Also if there are any spelling errors in this can you please leave a post so i can fix them. Thanks again.

pbharris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2024 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello shadow,
Welcome to USA LUG!
Well I am fedora fan and like Fedora Live -> http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
You can download the CD/DVD, boot it and it will run quite nicely without actually installing it to your hard drive. It has worked very nicely for me. If you like I am sure someone could mail you a CD/DVD free of charge. It is as simple as popping the CD in, rebooting the the box making sure you are booting from the CD drive and the selecting the live option.

Ubuntu is also popular and has this option:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

for spelling - try using firefox 3 - it has built in spell checker when you are filling out forms.

mushroom
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Choosing a Distro before installing help... Reply with quote

Shadow Puppet wrote:
and also run a program off my hard drive.

That could be a hard one Confused

I will be watching this thread to see if you get it working.

Welcome Shadow Puppet to usalug.org Smile Smile Smile

eriefisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on what the program calls I suppose it's possible. If your are in a live environment and call a python script on the hard drive that contains windows it might run. Never tried.

I have done similar requests with wine. I moved to a XP partition and clicked on a "windows app" and wine would run some but not all. I have also run bash scripts from a hard drive while running a live cd.

lberg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eriefisher wrote:
I have done similar requests with wine. I moved to a XP partition and clicked on a "windows app" and wine would run some but not all.

Just to point it out, SLAX KillBill is a live CD that includes wine and other Windows-related tools/programs. I've used it quite a few times, it comes in really handy. And, Shadow Puppet, if you're looking for JUST a Live CD, SLAX KillBill (OR the "standard" SLAX) is a very good choice, because it isn't meant to be installed to a HD.

It looks like the KillBill version of SLAX isn't current, though. I don't think it's an official version of SLAX...that would explain why... But it's not too out-of-date, so it should be fine.

You can download/read more about SLAX KillBill HERE.

Welcome to USALUG, Shadow Puppet!

Edit: I think SLAX can read and write to a NTFS drive. The KillBill version should definitely be able to.

Last edited by lberg on Wed Jan 07, 2024 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Choosing a Distro before installing help... Reply with quote

Shadow Puppet wrote:
Hi, I am new to USA LUG and hope I can get some help here. I've read a few forums and I have seen it posted on different ones that Linux is better for programming then Windows is, or well Linux is more preferred. So i was wandering is there anyway that I can run a live CD(I need suggestions for one by the way) and also run a program off my hard drive.(I lost my USB flash drive and cant afford another one right now) So if you could help me out with this I would highly appreciate all the help and responses. Smile Also if there are any spelling errors in this can you please leave a post so i can fix them. Thanks again.

Greetings and welcome to the USALUG. My own experiences are similar to those of eriefisher. I have been able to create files on another disk partition, even from a live CD. I remember running Puppy one day, finding some stuff about Puppy that I wanted to save, so I opened Geany or another Puppy text editor, pasted the stuff I was interested in, saved the file to the Puppy file system, then looked for a way to mount one of my main partitions, mounted it, then copied the newly created file to an existing file system, no problem at all.

Running an application may not be quite as straightforward, but it may still be possible. You would have to create any appropriate environment variables, links, ensure that system libraries and such did not conflict, then you may get at least some things to work, but I would also anticipate many problems because of these same issues.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a Ton of live Linux versions, or versions of Linux with a live CD or DVD. Many will allow you to read the NTFS partitions. Very few if any will allow you to write to the NTFS partition from a live. More of the linux have a live version that do not.... from Mini's to full DVD's. Knoppix is the granddaddy. Antix, Blag, Mandriva has one, Mint, Slax, Sabayon, that come off the top of may head, and about a hundred mini's, some with programming capability.
Other than programming what would you want to do from the live?

I know of none that will allow you to run a live CD or DVD Linux and operate a windows program from your hard drive from within the Live, with or without a virtual program.
What program are you wanting to run? The better solution might be to find Linux or FOSS program that will do the same job. There are an amazing number of Linux or GBU/GPL programs now to do most any function. As good as most proprietary software.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Installation and Bootloaders All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: