USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Learning C/C++ Step-By-Step

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Shell Scripting and Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Learning C/C++ Step-By-Step Reply with quote

The HOWTO Forge has a really nice, step by step series on learning C and C++. It begins with a bit of history and even outlines what a few alternative languages could do, what some of their limitations were, and what C and C++ did to overcome those limitations. It also describes where C and C++ fit in the programming language hierarchy. Frankly, while C is a general purpose programming language, it really is at its best as a systems programming language, capable of meeting even some pretty low level requirements. It is not best suited to jobs that you want to be able to create very quickly with the fewest possible lines of code (unless you can call an existing library that someone has written to perform a specific task for you - that is quite common and possible).

In any case, if you have interests in the C family of programming languages, this is a good read. Check it out at HOWTO Forge.

Jeff K USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to deviate from your post.
I found a website a while back for C++ I started, but got lost in school work.
I am going to again attempt learning C++, but this time I will stick to it.
The website I found is: http://www.cplusplus.com and the direct link to the tuts is http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial.
Hope you enjoy the site and its tutorials.
I know I will in my journey to becoming a programmer.

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the "how stuff works" C tutorials were actually impressively good with some simple pictures to explain everything.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/c.htm

I used to check them occasionally when I used to want to check the syntax for some of the tricker data structures, like dynamically allocated arrays of structures of pointers to arrays.

For anyone new to programming though I still feel the best way to start out is with a higher level language. I guess there's two schools of thought on that, one being that its better to learn the lower level stuff first so you have a deeper understanding and appreciation for what the higher level languages are doing for you. However I think its better to just learn programming concepts and be able to easily create programs without having to deal with all of the boilerplate stuff. After all, if its fun you're more likely to stick with it. Then you can learn the lower level systems stuff after you've got the basics down if you so desire.

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
exiled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2024 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all good...
oop, procedural, scripting, native, web based, high level, low level, easy, hard...
The key is to... just do it and do it often Very Happy
Good tutorials, anything to help one understand!!

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2024 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Shell Scripting and Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: