USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

LCA 2024: Making Linux more secure

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » System Administration and Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject: LCA 2024: Making Linux more secure Reply with quote

I attended the Debconf 2 at York University in suburban Toronto, which was held the week after the 2024 Linux symposium in Ottawa, not too far away from Toronto. I believe that the Linux symposium is held annually in Toronto, but Debconf (yearly Debian conferences) are held all over the world. As far as I know, the one in Toronto was the last one in North America that I am aware of. Russell had a talk at Debconf 2 about a year after he got involved with SELinux. He is still one of the foremost experts on the topic, and it was his talk that introduced me to the technology.

Quote:
Russell Coker is not a man who sleeps with his computers. But he does come pretty close - two servers are positioned in a little cabinet in his bedroom, one being his server and the other his Security Enhanced Linux "play machine."

The play machine is open to anyone to log in and try to break the security. The root password is out in public - this is one of the many ways in which he engages with the wider FOSS community and a way by which he tried to improve what has become the project to which he devotes a considerable amount of time.

Security Enhanced Linux is a project begun by America's National Security Agency; it comprises a kernel patch to add security features, and patches to applications to allow them to determine the security domain in which to run processes.

Read the article about Russell Coker and his work with
Security Enhanced Linux (SELinux) at IT Wire.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » System Administration and Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: