USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Is it Windows 7 or KDE 4?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cope57

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2024 1:57 am    Post subject: Is it Windows 7 or KDE 4? Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it Windows 7 or KDE 4? In this video, we take to Sydney's streets to find out what people think of what they think is a Windows 7 demonstration.

Video here

Quote:
The net result? Mainly, people just didn't like Vista.

What do you think? Do Windows 7 and KDE 4 just look way too alike to tell the difference? Which one looks better? Post your comments below.

This basically shows that people like Linux, and do not even know it.
It also confirms my Windows 7 screenshot comment, that it does does look like KDE.

lberg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2024 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good video! Smile Really interesting.

I was kind of expecting for them to reveal that it was Linux, though, and get the people's reactions on tape. Kind of disappointing that they didn't show that at the end of the video.

jester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2024 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was fun - I noticed in the comments section a dispute about what people's reaction might have been if they had been told it was linux and it went something like:

A: oh well it won't run any of my stuff
B: actually many people use (F)OSS

When you actually think about the majority of people they interviewed (I know this is really judgemental but...), I didn't see too many potential hardcore gamer types in their cross-section.

Therefore I think stance B holds quite well: surfing, mail, word processing, music (OK there is a codecs issue with some countries/dsitros), videos/DVDs (same as music), photo processing (picasa in linux is fine btw) - linux does these pretty well I think and if the interface to achieve these is accessible enough, who cares whether the guts of the OS are MS/Apple/Linux?

Probably only people who (like us) enjoy posting on OS-specific boards promoting/defending the virtues of their preferred platform.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2024 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just goes to show that for routine stuff just about any point and click interface will work. Notice that a few people were actually confused by the changes made between XP and Vista, and a few were concerned about bugs and problems. Others were concerned about performance. That tells you a lot; for a new interface to work, it still either has to be familiar or very easy to learn, otherwise people are going to be resistant to change, which many tend to be anyway.

The KDE 4 project showed that people even in the Linux space were also resistant to change and they wanted 100% of their functionality or they didn't want it at all. Even Torvalds, a long time KDE user, reluctantly moved to GNOME because early versions of KDE had too many bugs and not enough functionality to meet his needs, despite the fact that he was, and still is, a critic of GNOME. So there you have it, you need functionality, simplicity, stability, and performance in a desktop system, otherwise it will be a big failure - unless it's Windows, then people will give it a chance!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: