USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

[solved] Grub triple-boot issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Installation and Bootloaders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inactive

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2024 1:59 am    Post subject: [solved] Grub triple-boot issue Reply with quote

Hey, folks, I am having an issue getting Fedora 10 to triple-boot (well, dual-boot actually for now) with grub from Mandriva 2024.1. I'm not sure if it's even worth 2024.1 holding the whole ball of wax, but I'm willing to try with F10 if need be.

I can't get Fedora 10 added to grub - the graphical utility in MCC just flat won't do it - it doesn't even give me the options to do it. I've tried several ways through editing grub.

The boot device priority is the Mandriva 2024.1 drive first, then the Fedora 10 drive second in BIOS.

Mount (when the Fedora 10 root partition is mounted in Mandriva) shows like this:

Code:
[dedanna@dedanna ~]$ mount
(Mandriva 2024.1 root partition)-->/dev/hda1 on / type reiserfs (rw,relatime,notail,user_xattr)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
(Mandriva 2024.1 home partition)-->/dev/hda6 on /home type reiserfs (rw,relatime,notail,user_xattr)
none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
(data only - music library)-->/dev/sda1 on /media/FreeAgent_Drive type reiserfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal)
(Fedora 10 root partition)-->/dev/hdc1 on /media/_ type reiserfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal)

/boot/grub/menu.lst in Mandriva 2024.1 I have set like so right now:
Code:
[dedanna@dedanna ~]$ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenu
default 0

title Mandriva Linux 2024.1 desktop 2.6.24.7-2mnb
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb BOOT_IMAGE=Mandriva_Linux_20081_desktop_26 root=/dev/hda1 nopinit resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb.img

title Microsoft Windows XP
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

title Fedora 10
root (hd0,1)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hda1 failsafe
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hda1 resume=/dev/hda5

title desktop 2.6.24.7-2mnb
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb BOOT_IMAGE=desktop_2.6.24.7-2mnb root=/dev/hda1 failsafe
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.24.7-desktop-2mnb.img

title linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hda1 nopinit resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent vga=791

The Windows drive isn't hooked up right now, but I may have to add it back (with another distro) later on, so I'm leaving the entry there for right now. When I had Windows on it, it dual-booted with it fine with the entry you see above, and that's the only way it would do it. Fedora 10 however, will not boot with that entry.

What I've tried for the Fedora 10 entry thus far:
What you see above in /boot/grub/menu.lst,,,, plus:
Code:
title Fedora 10
root (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

And a couple others that I can't remember off the top of my head right now.

With each one, I get an error when I try to boot Fedora 10 off of Mandriva's grub menu (right off the bat):
Code:
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x5
chainloader +1

Then it just hangs there and won't boot.

How do I add this to Mandriva's grub? Or, would it be better to modify Fedora 10's menu.lst and let it handle the triple-boot after switching the boot device priority for it in BIOS?

For now, what I've been doing to switch between the two is just reboot, go into BIOS, change the boot device priority order, then boot whichever I've made #1 there (which is a pain).

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by inactive on Thu Feb 12, 2024 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
platinummonkey
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2024 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off, it seems you installed fedora 10 on /dev/hdc (which is probably (hd2,0) for the entry) try that first Wink
if you still get issues about uknown filesystem - make sure reiserfs is compiled in the initrd (but in all cases it probably is Wink)

so something like:
Code:
title Fedora 10
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hdc1 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img

# but if you have grub installed on hdc and want to chainload as you seem to imply...
title Fedora 10
root (hd2,0)
chainloader +1

good luck Wink

USB Boot - Archlinux i686 kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 USB boot
jester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
partition type 0x5

(hd01)=/dev/hda2 is an extended partition - looks like it's where you have your swap and mandriva /home (/dev/hda5 and /dev/hda6 respectively?)
DedannaRocks! wrote:
The boot device priority is the Mandriva 2024.1 drive first, then the Fedora 10 drive second in BIOS.

This means that Fedora is now on /dev/hdb1 not /dev/hdc1 so in grub-speak that'll be (hd1,0)

If I were you I'd copy the Fedora kernel and initrd to the Mandriva /boot and then
Code:
title Fedora 10
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/name-of-Fedora-kernel-here root=/dev/hdb1 options-here
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/Fedora's-initrd.img-here

I'd also comment out all lines pertaining to the Windows drive which is currently not connected just to be on the safe side

It's another linux so I don't see any need to be chainloading

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
inactive

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the hard drive #s starting at 0, then the Fedora drive would actually be 1. I've tried also (root hd1,0), with the same results.

Could this have to do with the fact that the Fedora bootloader is installed to its MBR?

Mandriva thread here.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: Try these things Reply with quote

In the Mandriva mount table, can Fedora files be seen and accessed on /dev/hdc1? If so, then manually adding a chainloader entry:

title Fedora 10
root (hd2,0)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

should work. Try that. If it does not work, then use GRUB interactively to probe where GRUB actually sees the device. Try both root (hd2,0) and root (hd1,0). If Fedora 10 is on the first partition, it should be seen as the first partition on either the second or the third drive, depending on how it "sees" things.

You can run GRUB interactively from the non-graphical GRUB menu by pressing "e". If you have a splash GUI, press Esc to revert to the non-graphical menu. If you want to use the splash GUI version of GRUB, you can temporarily erase the entry you are pointing to and type something in, but in my opinion, when you are experimenting and editing, that is where the non GUI version works better.

Is my explanation clear? With GRUB, you can definitely poke around to see where IT thinks the images are located. Once you know the answers, you can edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst entries accordingly and you will have your answer.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Check out the GRUB menu editor Reply with quote

DedannaRocks! wrote:
With the hard drive #s starting at 0, then the Fedora drive would actually be 1. I've tried also (root hd1,0), with the same results.

Could this have to do with the fact that the Fedora bootloader is installed to its MBR?

Mandriva thread here.

I think that the Fedora GRUB entries may look wrong to Mandriva, since Fedora sets up to run from (hd0,0). When you installed Fedora, by any chance, was it the FIRST disk at the time of the Fedora installation? If so, then accessing the configfile is not going to work unless the configfile is changed first. Accessing the actual Fedora kernel, as Mandriva sees it is more likely to yield a positive result.

I posted a comment in the Mandriva forum, too, so others in the Mandriva community can benefit from this discussion. I think that picking up some information using the GRUB menu editor is going to yield the solution.

GRUB menu editor

Finally, if I was doing this, I would install each disk as they are actually seen on the bus, set up every entry correctly, and go from there. To me, there are as many as three or four variables here, and at a distance, it is very difficult to figure out what is actually going on right now. To me, it looks like each system "thought" it was on the first disk at the time in which it was installed, and in reality, that is no longer the case, and that is where the problems are coming from.

inactive

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Thanks so much for your help on this masinick. It turned out I had to put the full entry for Fedora into Mandriva's grub. You can check back at the thread as to why - it's a bug.

So, in order to get it to work, I took a question that I *had* asked in that thread, and it was never answered:
teknokraft wrote:
Here's F10's menu.lst entry:
Code:
title Fedora (2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686)
   root (hd0,0)
   kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686 ro root=UUID=d49e6f7c-e6c5-4bf0-94fd-16c18ae37270 rhgb quiet
   initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.img

Could I not edit this to work?

So, I did just that. I figured it would need the full entry, because of what you were saying. I edited the entry for Mandriva by just one character, and it worked like a charm. What I ended up with is this:
Code:
title Fedora (2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686)
-->root (hd1,0)
   kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686 ro root=UUID=d49e6f7c-e6c5-4bf0-94fd-16c18ae37270 rhgb quiet
   initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.img

I'm now in Fedora 10, via Mandriva's grub menu. Very Happy

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Glad you solved it! Reply with quote

Excellent! It makes sense that (hd1,0) works, since the (original) second disk is not in there. This may need to be changed again if you insert the Windows disk, but now you know how to do it.

Good work!

inactive

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2024 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

For now, I've just commented out the Windows entry.

I'm thinking more and more though, of letting F10 carry the bootloader/grub. I'm still learning my way around in it though, and need to get it to where it will mount the Mandriva drive without being root (not sure if this can even be done in F10 though - one can do this in Mandriva).

I really really like Fedora more and more (moreso than Mandriva even), but miss a few features in it like changing gdm theme, etc.

For now though - time to go see da daughter and grandson. Very Happy

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2024 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DedannaRocks! wrote:
Thanks!

For now, I've just commented out the Windows entry.

I'm thinking more and more though, of letting F10 carry the bootloader/grub. I'm still learning my way around in it though, and need to get it to where it will mount the Mandriva drive without being root (not sure if this can even be done in F10 though - one can do this in Mandriva).

I really really like Fedora more and more (moreso than Mandriva even), but miss a few features in it like changing gdm theme, etc.

For now though - time to go see da daughter and grandson. Very Happy

Fedora can do everything that Mandriva can do, and arguably more, particularly in security and virtualization areas. Fedora can most certainly handle the booting needs.

inactive

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2024 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right but it's not obvious how with Fedora. The guys in the F10 channel yesterday told me that it can't be done (of which I know better because I've found more gdm themes). Also, the login manager right now appears to be kdm (I'm a gdm user) - I am not sure where to change these things. Can't find them. I know it can be done CLI, but I'd like to find whatever nifty GUI features F10 has, then will go from there. I don't like KDE or KDE stuff, with the exception now of two programs, and those I think twice on before installing.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want kdm and gdm, no problem. With Debian systems, you say apt-get install kdm gdm. You do a similar thing with yum when you are using Fedora. No reason you can't have both on your system - or REPLACE what comes with it with what you want to use.

Look into the way that Fedora handles package management and you may find that it is not all that difficult to get what you want. Just like with the GRUB exercise, if you fool around with it a bit, you may end up becoming an expert at yet another skill - never hurts to gain more expertise.

If you have questions about it, I'd be glad to answer them - either here or in some Mandriva or Fedora forum, doesn't matter to me. I do like to share stuff with my friends here, though, so I often bring stuff in here, even from other places.

jester

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DedannaRocks! wrote:
With the hard drive #s starting at 0, then the Fedora drive would actually be 1.

First I'll say I'm happy you're up an running
Second, if the quoted was in response to my post, then look again Wink

I have 5 distros across 2 harddrives (let's leave FreeBSD out of this); the other 4 use the same /boot - to my mind /boot is no different to swap - common to all distros so why duplicate either?

After booting, when does an app use /boot? Rarely ever one would hope - actually in most distros it's unmounted by default; swap? - very very few people on reasonably recent hardware and average habits will touch swap (down hobby horse!)

Read the code I posted - I understood where your Fedora was; I was giving you a quick fix (and flexible too) to getting that install up and running by throwing the Fedora kernel in a working /boot (on your Mandriva) with instructions in grub.config/menu.lst for grub to find your Fedora.

Recycling's fun Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
inactive

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2024 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@masinick: Sorry, I meant I have them installed, but it's switching between them, changing the themes of them, etc. that I'm not finding graphically.

In Mandriva there's the "Login Window" function (it's under System-->Administration menu in Gnome) to configure gdm with (or kdm if one so chooses it). Right there on the gdm login, one can configure it, too.

Features:
1) Choose theme
2) Choose default session
3) Choose the theme & option to include XMDCP menu item
4) Enable/disable remote login
5) Enable accessible and timed login
6) Which users to display

In MCC (Configure your computer)-->Boot-->Set up your display manager is where to choose which login manager to display; KDM, XDM, or GDM.

...etc.

These are the things I'm not finding, even after searching out package manager. I have fusion repos enabled.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2024 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason I do not use distro specific tools that often is that the technology rarely transfers to other distributions, unless they are derived distributions. That does not mean that I won't use the tools at all, I will and I do, I just don't like to rely solely on them because they tend to obscure the details. Some of the tools that I use are actually scripts. If I need to know something about how they work I can read the code - and maybe even copy it.

That's one reason why in years past Libranet was one of my favorites and why sidux is a favorite now. I could and can use their tools, but I can always resort to only standard Debian tools and they will not conflict in any way.

Mandriva is not too bad in that respect; you can still use underlying commands without messing things up. However, if you get used to the drak* tools too much, learning other things becomes difficult.

When it comes to boot managers, I always deal with them myself and set them up the way that I want them to be. I make plenty of extra copies, so if one gets messed up, I can fix it quickly and easily.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Installation and Bootloaders All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: