USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Test Release Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 1:50 am    Post subject: Test Release Thread Reply with quote

Hey Melloe, I know that over at Newbies Linux you have both a test release thread and a mini distro release thread. Here, you have a mini distro release thread.

Perhaps instead of putting the Alpha, Beta, and Release Candidate notes all over the Distribution section, we could maintain at least most of them in this thread, then produce separate threads for the final released distro versions.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 2:03 am    Post subject: Kubuntu 9.04 Alpha 6 Reply with quote

The final Alpha test of the April release of Kubuntu (as well as the other Buntu derivatives), has come out. I've been following Kubuntu with interest because I have wanted to see how well KDE 4 is coming along. Mandriva and Kubuntu (along with openSUSE and recently Fedora 11) have been among the leaders in making KDE available, though you can certainly get it elsewhere - Arch is a big one I can think of, and also Debian Experimental - Danum, a community member at MEPIS Lovers Forum, made a really nice KDE 4.2 implementation from SimplyMEPIS RC 3 and KDE 4.2 back in January.

Anyway, I digress. The Kubuntu updates have been a pretty good barometer of changes with KDE. When Kubuntu's current test release is erratic, it shows a lot of KDE activity.

Kubuntu 8.10, which I have on my Lenovo Y410 laptop, and which I updated earlier today, contains a maintenance version of KDE 4.1 - I believe it is KDE 4.1.3. That version, whether it is truly "complete" or not, at least has been quite stable and has worked pretty well for me.

The other instance I've been maintaining is Kubuntu 9.04. Early Alpha 1 was OK because not much changed from 8.10, but as soon as the changes really began in earnest, the Alpha cycle was pretty unstable. Alpha 2 was not that good, Alpha 3 was only a little better. Alpha 4 started to clean up, and I caught Alpha 5 when there were quite a few changes, and I have had more problems keeping the knetworkmanager running wirelessly, and I am now going into Alpha 6 running wired, but hoping that I can get wireless working again.

KDE itself is looking a lot better, and this spring may actually represent a decent release. Hard to tell though, the repos have been more volatile in this release than I've seen in many other releases. I think that the 8.04 release was one of the finest six Alpha releases that I'd seen - makes sense, since it was lining up as a Long Term Support (LTS) release. I still think it is THE release to use if you are a Ubuntu fan but you prefer stability to new fangled features. The 9.04 release, however, is the one to fiddle with for those with itchy hands that like the latest stuff - even with a few bugs. People that love to find and report bugs should definitely get the 9.04 stuff soon and help squelch bugs, because they can impact the dozens of derivative Ubuntu projects as well.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 2:11 am    Post subject: Mandriva 2024.1 Spring Cooker Reply with quote

I have been running the Mandriva Cooker on my Lenovo test system and I have well over 1100 updated packages to update, so it has been a while since I last ran the Cooker on the Lenovo Y410 laptop!

I keep oscillating which window or desktop manager I use, because I break them at times when updating with the Cooker. I use IceWM most of the time while updating, then I try KDE 3 and KDE 4 once updated. The Cooker also has the new XFCE 4.6, so I want to try that out as well.

Mandriva, for the most part, has seemed to do a somewhat better job with KDE 4 than Kubuntu has in recent months. I've had good success with KDE 4, though one round of updates did break it pretty badly (they were probably in the middle of updating the entire KDE 4 tree at the time that I did that particular update).

Anyway, overall it looks like the Mandriva Spring release in April will be a very visually appealing distribution once again - they always have some creative art work. It also appears that it will remain a leader in hardware support - all of my systems can handle it; very good at wireless - the Lenovo rarely gets attached to my wired network unless something breaks. Mandriva is consistently one of the distros that I enjoy testing. This upcoming version is no exception.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 2:15 am    Post subject: PCLinuxOS in third Beta test Reply with quote

PCLinuxOS continues to crawl along at a conservative pace, which has, in the past, led to a very good end result. I've done some testing of a couple of the test releases, and I am not quite as impressed with them as I have been with PCLinuxOS in the past, but they ARE, after all, test releases and they are NOT the final versions. The most recent release is quite a bit better than the bust I tried in November, which really disappointed me. Hopefully they are on track to release before the end of this spring, if not sooner.

I would be interested in anyone who has played with this test cycle of releases and the impressions you have.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 3:28 am    Post subject: Completed Mandriva Cooker updates! Reply with quote

Wow, LOTS of updates, took quite a while. Did have to repeat the updates once because a few did not download the first time. IceWM is still functional after the updates; will have to check the other window and desktop managers to see how well they fare with the latest changes.

I will say one thing; Mandriva is one of a couple of distributions that puts their unique theme on just about all of the window managers and desktop managers, including IceWM. This is one of the reasons that Mandrake was long one of my favorite desktop systems, and it continues to be a reason that I test Mandriva often today.

I will also say that assuming that Mandriva continues to stabilize their KDE packages, the Spring release ought to be an excellent example of what KDE 4 can be, so any of you who want to try out KDE 4 this spring may find Mandriva to be a good distribution to use with KDE, and the fact that you can also use GNOME, XFCE, IceWM, and other window managers as additional options makes Mandriva a good platform for desktop and window manager testing.

Though I am a strong Debian advocate, Mandriva is probably my favorite non Debian based distro, and the fact that the Cooker gives me a rolling release setup, albeit a very bleeding version, it makes for an excellent testing platform. Any of you who test and like Mandriva will find the Cooker a good way to test - and potentially a way to "give back", by testing and reporting defects. I am pleased with the progress that I have seen with this release, well over 1100 updates, which appear, for the most part, to have worked.

urpmi --clean --auto-update
is a quick way to update Mandriva Cooker from a console terminal. That's what I did and it worked well.

Checking back in, KDE 4 seemed to survive the updates well and it is starting to look pretty solid.

inactive

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to add to /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg (at the top of the file):
Code:
{
  post-clean: 0
}

The reason being, that if you have an update of something come in and break, then you still have the rpms to roll back with. Also, for bug testing, you can analyze the bad rpm that comes in.

It's easy afterwards just to move or delete the files in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms so they don't take up space in / :
To delete:
Code:
su
enter your root password
rm -f /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/*

To move:
Code:
mv /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/* /folder/you/want/rpms/to/go/to

su - (with the space and dash) are not necessary to do so.

Cookers also see How to Participate in the Mandriva Cooker Project

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good tips.

I was successful updating Mandriva Cooker last night - have KDE 3, KDE 4, Fluxbox, IceWM, XFCE, and LXDE environments working.

inactive

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2024 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I gave it up a while back. The later distro releases, it turns out, don't work well with my audio hardware. I had a too-long-standing bug on sound in Cooker that is still unresolved, and needed it back, so for Mandriva distros, I'm using 2024.1, and will stop there. Fedora doesn't work well with it either, so am not sure what to do there. ArtistX is the only one left that works with it, unfortunately, and that's because they're still on KDE3 and are multimedia-centric.

I don't know what I'm going to do in general. I do a lot of sound work. I guess buy yet *another* sound card, and hope and pray it works with the later distros.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2024 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boxes tend to be old and I also buy very mainstream stuff. Much of it either works immediately or is very easy to set up. Brands I use: Dell - Dimension 4100 desktop (ancient) and Latitude D600 laptop, (getting old), Compaq/HP D530 desktop - ironically enough, could not get either my graphics card or my network working on the D530 when I went to install XP on it, so I ditched XP, but it runs Debian variations and Arch really well, so it is my desktop test box. Then I have a Gateway PA6A 17" laptop that I really use more as a desktop, replacing both the 4100 and the D530, and I have an excellent Lenovo 3000 Y410 laptop as well. All have superb Linux device support. The Gateway and the Lenovo are my two newest systems; I am unlikely to be getting anything else soon.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject: Parsix GNU/Linux 2.0 Test 3 Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps instead of putting the Alpha, Beta, and Release Candidate notes all over the Distribution section, we could maintain at least most of them in this thread, then produce separate threads for the final released distro versions.

Good idea

Development Release: Parsix GNU/Linux 2.0 Test 3
parsix Alan Baghumian has announced the availability of the third test release of Parsix GNU/Linux 2.0, a desktop distribution and live CD based on Debian's testing branch: "The third and final testing release of Parsix GNU/Linux, code name 'Boss Skua', is out. Parsix Boss ships a brand new kernel based on Linux 2.6.26.8, with extra patches and drivers. The live CD compression system has been upgraded to version 3.4, which brings higher compression rate. Unionfs is default for live CD mode. Several bugs have been fixed and several packages updated. Highlights: GNOME 2.24.3, GNU Iceweasel 3.0.6, GParted 0.4.3, Pidgin 2.4.3 and OpenOffice.org 2.4.1, Compiz-Fusion 0.7.8, VirtualBox 2.1.4 and GNU Flash Player 0.8.4. We still have a couple of things to accomplish, including a kernel update for the latest TuxOnIce, so expect the final release within a week." Read the release announcement and release notes for more information.
http://www.parsix.org/html/Article100.html

or at www,distrowatch.com
Download (MD5): parsix_2.0r0-test-3-i386.iso (669MB, MD5), parsix_2.0r0-test-3-amd64.iso (677MB, MD5).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Ubuntu 9.04 RC Apr 16 2024 Reply with quote

Development Release: Ubuntu 9.04 RC
ubuntu Steve Langasek has announced the availability of the release candidate for Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope": "The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce the Release Candidate for Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop and Server editions and Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop edition brings faster boot speeds and a new notification system to your everyday computing experience. Ubuntu 9.04 Server edition makes it easy to experiment with cloud computing using Eucalyptus on your own servers, and sports an improved mail server integration stack based on Postfix and Dovecot. Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix brings a new, easy-to-use interface that is designed to be used on the smaller screens of netbook devices." Read the release announcement and release notes for a detailed list of changes and new features.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2009-April/000121.html

Download on page and also at www.distrowatch.com
The Ubuntu 9.04 family of variants, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, and
Mythbuntu, also reach RC status today.

also
http://www.kubuntu.org/
http://www.edubuntu.org/
http://www.xubuntu.org/
http://ubuntustudio.org/
http://www.mythbuntu.org/hardyrc

NOTE: http://mythbuntu.org is temporarily down due to a problem with the hosting provider. RC images will still be available at
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/mythbuntu/releases/jaunty

Kubuntu discussion at http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.html?t=14295

Last edited by melloe on Fri Apr 17, 2024 5:12 am; edited 4 times in total
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 6 Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
Development Release: Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 6
ubuntu Steve Langasek has announced the availability of the sixth and final alpha release of Ubuntu 9.04: "Welcome to Jaunty Jackalope Alpha 6, which will in time become Ubuntu 9.04." Not much information is available on this release; in fact, both the release announcement and release notes are almost exactly the same as for alpha 5. The only difference is the number of known issues - with alpha 6, two of the seven known issues have been resolved, including the bug where the installer fails to tell the kernel to reload the partition table during partitioning and the OEM configuration failure. But the "encrypted home directory" feature in the installer is still disabled and the new X.Org Server 1.6 still doesn't support the proprietary ATI driver. Download here
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2009-March/000551.html

or at www.distrowatch.com
If you are still interested in testing the new release, download (MD5) the live CD images from here: jaunty-desktop-i386.iso (698MB, torrent), jaunty-desktop-amd64.iso (693MB, torrent). The other members of the Ubuntu family have also entered alpha 6: Kubuntu (release notes, download), Xubuntu (download), Ubuntu Studio (download) and Mythbuntu (download).

I give the project good points for the progress that has been made through the six Alpha development cycles. The Ubuntu development cycle is more volatile than the Debian or MEPIS cycles. Because of this, it is possible to run into more issues. The trade off is the possibility to obtain the very latest software, even to help test it, versus the Debian Testing model, where even test application software is generally stable, and the issues most likely to encounter are packaging subtleties and hardware support for the latest hardware.

I think that the Ubuntu project has done a credible job with this release, and I have tested most of the Alpha releases. Only the early ones were really "questionable", though even they worked to some extent. This Alpha version is shaping up very nicely. The only caveat is to realize that it still is "Alpha" software, not even "Beta test" or "Release Candidate" yet. For those who don't like to test much, if at all, I recommend the Release Candidate. These are generally stable enough and they generally upgrade easily to "final release", if there are any changes between candidate and final. I do recommend people who will test to run the Alpha tests. Providing feedback is a great way to improve software quality and contribute to "free software". I do it as often as I can.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Development Release: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.8 Beta Reply with quote

Note that this is a beta test of the legacy line of products. Red Hat is also well along in their Version 5 series - at LEAST 5.3. This shows that Red Hat continues to support their older legacy enterprise server releases. I endorse Red Hat Enterprise Linux products; I have personally used RHEL 2.1 and 3.0 on the job - these were already quite old, yet Red Hat has continued to support them as well.

For those who cannot afford Red Hat Enterprise products, but want something with similar capabilities (but are capable of supporting it themselves or through a less expensive alternative) will do well to examine CentOS.

Quote:
Red Hat, Inc. has released a beta build of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 4.8, the fully-supported legacy line of the company's enterprise-class Linux distribution: "Red Hat is pleased to announce the availability of the beta release of 4.8 (Linux kernel 2.6.9-82.EL) for the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 family of products. This release includes the following improvements: Kerberos 5 utilities are now PAM enabled; updated IPMItool to v1.8.10, Device-mapper to 1.02.28; added router solicitation support; added virtio drivers to support KVM hypervisor environments; added new AMD HDMI audio support to ATI HDMI; updated ALSA hda driver update from upstream; fixed and properly detect pmtimer on ASUS a8v motherboard; improved reliability of Autofs; fixed various short packet handling for NFSv4 readdir and sunrpc issues...."

Link

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Development Release: Wolvix GNU/Linux 2.0.0 Beta 1 Reply with quote

Quote:
Kenneth Granerud has announced the availability of the first beta release of Wolvix GNU/Linux 2.0.0, a user-friendly Slackware-based distribution and live CD: "I'm happy to announce that the first beta release of Wolvix GNU/Linux 2.0.0 is ready for download. Wolvix 2.0.0 is based on Slackware Linux 12.2 and Linux-Live 6.2.9. It features Linux kernel 2.6.27.9, Xfce 4.6.0 and a lot of up-to-date software: Firefox 3.0.7, Thunderbird 2.0.0.19, GIMP 2.6.5, Pidgin 2.5.5. New in 2.0.0 is that nothing has been stripped out (translations, headers and documents) and that everything you need to compile from source has been included. This makes the ISO image larger than previous releases and it will no longer fit on a 512 MB USB flash drive. Another change is that there are no 'Hunter' and 'Cub' editions, just one release."

DistroWatch
Wolfix release announcement
ISO image

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Development Release: Mandriva Linux 2024.1 RC1 Reply with quote

I've been mentioning the Mandriva Cooker, but notice that Mandriva is closing in on their release. Their use of Alpha, Beta, and Release Candidates differ somewhat from the Ubuntu project, but also note that Mandriva is closer to their final Spring release, Mandriva Linux 2024.1 than Ubuntu is with theirs - I believe that both are scheduled for April; the Ubuntu release is the END of April. Haven't double checked the date, but Mandriva is probably mid April. DistroWatch has a section that covers published release plans; you can find the exact dates there if you are interested.
DistroWatch Link
Quote:
Anne Nicolas has announced the availability of the first release candidate for Mandriva Linux 2024.1: "The RC1 release of Mandriva Linux 2024.1 (code name 'pomerol') is now available. This RC1 version provides some updates on major desktop components of the distribution, including KDE 4.2.1, GNOME 2.25.92, Xfce 4.6, X.Org server 1.6, OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 and Qt 4.5.0. It delivers a first glance at 2024.1 design with free wallpapers and provides a way to create a 'One' GNOME hybrid ISO image on a USB key. You will be able to use some very useful tools: HDT (Hardware Detection Tool) - get a complete description of your hardware without booting; Draksnapshot restore tools - restore your full system from a date you choose."

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: