USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

wicd arch won't see networks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2024 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did i just invoke a WM/DE war back there?

s***. I think I did...

-hides-

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
lberg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2024 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion, which I'm sure you have already tried (and probably exhausted), tlmiller. I have this problem sometimes with wicd and Arch, where it will see a few surrounding AP's, but not mine. If I hit the "refresh" button a few times (3 or 4 in most cases... sometimes more), usually my AP will show up. However, if that doesn't work, there have been rare instances where I've had to remove my dongle's kernel module and re-insert it. Usually that fixes it. I don't know whether you're dealing with a laptop (card inside the computer) or a removable card, but I have a USB dongle. So I am able to put down the interface, remove the module, remove the card, insert the card, and then Arch automatically loads the module again, and then bring the interface back up. Then everything works for me, and if it doesn't then something's really messed up Rolling Eyes.

HTH.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2024 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't try removing the module...I'll try that. While it's not a removable card, if I remove the module then reload it, it SHOULD have the same effect, correct?

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2024 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn wrote:

s***. I think I did...

-hides-

Nah, just me flippin platinummonkey flack Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
he takes it in stride Smile Besides, he knows I'm right Laughing

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
lberg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2024 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
I didn't try removing the module...I'll try that. While it's not a removable card, if I remove the module then reload it, it SHOULD have the same effect, correct?

Yeah, I think so.

I have an rt73 card, which loads both rt2x00 and rt73usb, so I rmmod both of them.

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2024 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn wrote:

s***. I think I did...

-hides-

Nah, just me flippin platinummonkey flack Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
he takes it in stride Smile Besides, he knows I'm right Laughing

oh. well thats okay then. I've probably started more flame wars by accident than you have done on purpose. it is a talent of mine i guess.

root said to me "son, what shall be your talent?" and i said "to always say the worst possible thing in any situation, even if i try not to"...

-sigh-

platinummonkey
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
TBH, I gave up on Arch on the laptop simply because it was kind of a pain.
While I was successful in getting things working fine, it just felt really "hackish".

However, I have zero problems using KDE 4 on the desktops.... using anything less than KDE is just not in the cards for me unless I have too. I like the fact Arch can install what I want it to... and doesn't start 400 dameons because it thinks I "might" need them.

Having KDE on Arch does NOT defeat the KISS principle at ALL..... not in the least, KISS does NOT mean minimal, or no gui. This refers to the OVERALL design of Arch, not a WM or DE. But you already knew that didn't you platinummonkey Razz Smile
KDE may be bloat, but it's actually the most advanced DE running. Personally, I love using it. There are many many many KDE apps that are such timesavers that once you start using them, it's not fun to do without them...... even though I can, but why ? I'm pretty sure my 3.6 ghz machines with 4 gigs of ram and terrabyte drives aren't gonna come to a complete slowdown running KDE. kgpg, konqueror, konsole, kate, ktorrent, k3b, kaffiene, k9copy -- just to name a few of the kde apps i use everyday. Konqueror and Konsole alone make it worth keeping KDE on mydesktop. Konsole allows mutliple tabbed terminal sessions and konqueror allows multiple tabbed sftp windows to drag and drop files from multiple machines(if you've never did this, it RULES). I don't use KDE because it's easy, I use it because it's extremely flexible and functional for what i do every day. I'll be keeping my kde thank you very much Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing

When you explain to me why it's worth learning a whole new programming language just to make my desktop work.... and why it's so much better than what I have now, and I mean better, not the same as, then you can diss my kde Razz Wink

i whole heartedly disagree.. but you already know that. The minimalist in me just through the monitor through the window shouting obsceneties. Razz

I wish i could explain, but let me put it this way. The same guy who made this wonderful OS, dislikes kde. Maybe that should knock a few screws back into place Wink Razz Come see me in person and I'll talk you to death on the subject .. i'm serious Razz kde is bloat, it always has been, bloat belongs on winders imho. i dont want kapple or kwinders or kidontknowhowtodoanything or kthisisjustlikewinders!pointnclick!omfg!Very Happy! or kletsseehowmuchwecanfattenthisthingup! or knewbsauce
</rant></rant></rant></rant>

no.. wait... i still hate kde Wink give me a choice between winders and kde, and Ill ask you this: what's the difference? I'll stick to my "text configs" and "required programming"... heh. so uninformed the masses. x.x
</drunken_rant>

yes i might be a tad less sober Razz

USB Boot - Archlinux i686 kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 USB boot
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Arch Linux defines simplicity as a lightweight base structure without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications, that allows an individual user to shape the system according to their own needs.

By keeping the system simple, Arch Linux provides the freedom to make any choice about the system.

A freshly installed Arch Linux system contains only basic core components with no automatic configuration performed. Users are able to configure the system as they wish, from the shell. From the start of the installation procedure, every component of the system is 100% transparent and accessible for instant access, removal, or replacement by alternative components.

The large number of packages and build scripts in the various Arch Linux repositories also support freedom of choice, offering free and open source software for those who prefer it, as well as proprietary software packages, for those who embrace 'functionality over ideology'. It is the user who chooses.

As Judd Vinet, the founder of the Arch Linux project said: "[Arch Linux] is what you make it."
-- From "The Arch Way"

So I stand behind the fact that the wm/de does NOT go astray of the original design intents at all.

As for me, with over a decade of using Linux exclusively for all my computing needs, I feel pretty safe in saying I KNOW how to do alot more from the command line than most people, but that doesn't mean that command line simplicity can't exist in harmony with the most advanced desktop user environment, it can and does on my machines. I use the tools that perform the task I want the best. So, for moving the same files to 4 different machines, that means opening up a kde app that I can open mult windows in and sftp to those machines and drag and drop those files all at once or individually, and do it in seconds. YES, i can script this if I wanted too, but to many times the moving of files isn't the same machine same location etc etc, it just doesn't make sense to script it. Standard sftp clients doen't offer multiple windows to drag and drop files. I would also venture to say that while I abhor M$ Windows, I will not say that their user interfaces are badly designed. KDE resembles Windows design to some extent, but I can make lxde look EXACTLY like windows. It's just a look, has nothing to do with functionality. I use what works for me, what I enjoy. I hope everyone here does the same.

As for the WM/DE flame wars, they are a classic waste of time Wink
USE WHAT YOU LIKE !!!! Very Happy Very Happy It's just one of the MANY priviledges of choice that running Linux gives you.

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6060826007.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00022.html

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2024 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
As for the WM/DE flame wars, they are a classic waste of time Wink
USE WHAT YOU LIKE !!!! Very Happy Very Happy It's just one of the MANY priviledges of choice that running Linux gives you.

And yet they get started far too often.... thank goddess we can only fight them with words, if we could fight them with guns or bombs everyone would be dead now...

platinummonkey
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2024 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... i don't even remember posting that!!! LOL Razz

crouse wrote:
... the most advanced desktop user environment...
I beg to differ the biggest and most code != most advanced Razz but thats my personal opinion. ;P Anyone could easily argue that xmonad, xfce, wmii, dwm, or lxde as being the most advanced Razz This term in too vague Razz

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Arch Linux defines simplicity as a lightweight base structure without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications, that allows an individual user to shape the system according to their own needs.

Well with the 2024.2 Install CD you can see where the leader came from. He is from the debian field, and the module are automaticaly loaded.

you don't need to configure your, /etc/rc.conf , inittab, and what else anymore.
I was surprised last weekend, I installed Archlinux, i686 and x86_64 just to see how the things are now.

after running
Code:
pacman -S kde kde-extragears

reboot and the system cames up from alone in running level 5 and the kdm log in manager I was surprise.

Arch is going to break there own rules. That's not good. But they call it evolution.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
platinummonkey
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2024 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jada wrote:
Arch is going to break there own rules. That's not good. But they call it evolution.

maybe its time for me to fork it Rolling Eyes Razz I will dont tempt me Razz

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2024 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jada, WHICH install cd ?

I always use the core isos, i never had things work without configuring......... in fact i just installed from the 2024 core cd about a week ago... i'm confused i guess.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: