USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

My blogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2024 4:45 am    Post subject: My blogs Reply with quote

I have blogs in a number of locations, and I repeat content in some, but not all of them.
http://masinick.blog.com/ is one of my blogs; http://brianmasinick.blogspot.com/ is another one, and http://usalug-org.blogspot.com/ is my USALUG blog.

I've been doing a memory usage study that began by looking at some lightweight window managers and moving on to a look at KDE 3.5.10 and KDE 4.2.2. The KDE implementation on PCLinuxOS readily fits within the constrained memory footprint of my decade old Dell Dimension 4100, so KDE 3.5.10 is still a viable desktop alternative for older boxes as long as they have at least a GHz of CPU speed and at least 256 MB of memory. Less capable systems than that will definitely need lighter environments, such as IceWM in place of KDE and Sylpheed Claws instead of a bulky Email client. I generally use Seamonkey though; that's what Puppy does in a 100 MB distro footprint and it works well.

What about KDE 4.2.2? I installed that on sidux and it works nearly as well as KDE 3.5.10 does on PCLinuxOS, but KDE 4 still needs to be hardened more; SimplyMEPIS and PCLinuxOS won't go for it until it gets more reliable, but KDE 4.3 could be the ticket there, and that will be out by Fall.

Some of my adventures will be discussed in my blogs.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2024 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried my hand at doing a blog just the other day ....... it's weird trying to put your thoughts down hoping that you'll say something that people will be interested in .....not like a forum, where you put down your thoughts, but you don't care if anyone is interested in your thoughts, just as long as you can say your piece without getting flamed or getting banned from the forum Laughing Laughing

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2024 5:15 am    Post subject: Reasons I use blogs Reply with quote

JP wrote:
I just tried my hand at doing a blog just the other day ....... it's weird trying to put your thoughts down hoping that you'll say something that people will be interested in .....not like a forum, where you put down your thoughts, but you don't care if anyone is interested in your thoughts, just as long as you can say your piece without getting flamed or getting banned from the forum Laughing Laughing

Well, I do put my entries out in public so that people can look at them if they want to, so I certainly would make an effort not to "air dirty laundry" on a blog, but that is not my practice anyway, and hopefully never will be.

I mostly put them out there so that I have a scattered journal all over the place on the "Net. Past experiences have told me that some blogs and forums fold over time, so by having some duplication, I've got time to grab content. Of course, with Google grabbing so much content, most things I write online are retrievable if I know what to type into my search pattern.

I do share these "journals" so that others can benefit from them if they are searching for something. Mostly I remind myself of things, then comment on them in forums such as this one. I also use forums as a place to journal and help. The weather topic here lets me track my area weather. My distro topics help me to go back if I need to capture what I was working on or reviewing at any point in time. I hope they are helpful, but they most certainly are self serving to me as well to log and track my activities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: