USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

vi and vim introduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2024 5:46 am    Post subject: vi and vim introduction Reply with quote

We have not had any tutorials or posts on Vi or Vim in quite some time. I know that I have filled the "All other software" category with links, guides, and so forth for a variety of editors over the years - probably more Emacs than anything else.

While these days there are a great number of editors available and you should rarely get stuck without more than one option, it is a good idea to know at least the basics of a few text editors. Some people feel that they can get away with the basics of nano and that is enough. Maybe it is, but coming from a UNIX systems background, and having learned how to use ed even before I learned how to use Vi, I still think it is useful to know the basics of Vi. Some people get quite attached to it and find that it is capable of doing a great deal more than just basic editing, and indeed that is the case.

While GNU Emacs is also incredibly powerful and capable of doing much more than you may imagine (including playing games, transferring files using FTP, reading mail, news, and browsing the Web, Vi is still a good idea to know. You might get caught one day needing to know it, but if you really learn it, you may find that it greatly accelerates how much you can edit very quickly.

Vi and Vim explains the basics of Vi and Vim, and shows you, at the most basic level, how you can use the Graphical implementation of Vim as a Notepad editor. That's fine, but I think it is also extremely useful to know a half dozen to a dozen primary commands, and how to use "addresses" - numbers, and also relative symbols, to transform many of those commands into something that can edit an entire file of thousands of lines in just a second or two - now that is power at the fingertips.

Note that while Vi and Vim are not the only editors capable of editing thousands of lines with a few keystrokes, they remain the most prevalent editors, and today with Vim, you can run it on Windows, Linux, UNIX, and a number of other operating systems, just as you can with Emacs, but Vi or Vim are nearly always installed - and that cannot be said for Emacs.

Therefore, even though I also happen to be a big Emacs fan, I think it is valuable to add Vi-like editing skills to your resume - it may come in extremely handy some day, either to get a job done quickly or to bail you out of a mess.

inactive

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2024 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used Vi in Unix big time on my last job. Smile Took some time to get used to, but once that was out of the way, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2024 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah... i posted the best vi guide ever right here !! Smile

http://usalug.org/vi.html

It's how i learned vi ........ vimtutor isn't too bad either though.

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2024 3:28 am    Post subject: You are right, that IS a very good guide! Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
bah... i posted the best vi guide ever right here !! Smile

http://usalug.org/vi.html

It's how i learned vi ........ vimtutor isn't too bad either though.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2024 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks masinick Wink good bookmark Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: