USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Have I overloaded Firefox 3.0.10?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2024 3:03 am    Post subject: Have I overloaded Firefox 3.0.10? Reply with quote

I use Firefox 3.0.10, the latest version in my PCLOS repository.

I use:
Adblock plus,
Chatzilla was just installed a minute ago,
Flashblock,
Forecastfox,
gui:config,
nuke anything enhanced,
stumbleupon,
user agent switcher,
and Xmarks.

I have maybe 2024 bookmarks, roughly. Maybe 3000, I've stopped counting. When I export bookmarks as HTML, the exported bookmarks file is just about 860k.
Lately, every time I go into 'organize bookmarks', within a few seconds of touching things, it grinds to a halt. I didn't look at Xmarks, but I doubt it is eating the CPU that soon after launching FF.
From the time I launch FF, to the time I've ground to a halt in 'organize bookmarks' is all of a short minute.

This has been getting worse over the last few months from a noticeable slowing, to now crawling to a halt. I believe the reason it is getting slower is because I am exploiting the new tag features. Exploiting them to the fullest extent. Some bookmarks are getting up to 10 tags, most get 3 or 4 tags. Also, lately, I've had major problems with Xmarks needing 100% CPU and taking over 2 minutes to backup my bookmarks, so on one machine, Xmarks got disabled and is using a stale bookmarks file. The lockup PC is still running Xmarks, but Xmarks should not be running a backup so soon after launch, it usually waits for over 15 minutes on my system.

Either I've reached critical mass and FF is about to go poof, or, the new "bookmarks use a database" method is really coming unglued.

Anyone heard of problems with the new bookmarks database method?
Have I just overloaded Firefox 3.0.10?

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2024 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question one is why do you require 3000 bookmarks? cut back on the bookmarks, eliminating the old and unused ones or archiving them for offline reference will almost certainly improve your situation.

Question two is what is your memory usage like when this lockup occurs? how much is FF and friends using out of how much total?

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already cut out the dead links last fall.

For now, the bookmarks will remain and even continue to grow. For me, that is the whole point of bookmarking websites - to see them once, categorize them for a future visit when needs arise. FWIW, I've seen that I am somehow getting doubled entries when the lockup occurs, so this can quickly spiral itself into death, if quantity of bookmarks is the issue.

As for memory usage, system has 1 Gig, and I never think to look at ram stats when the lockup occurs... will try that asap.

Nothing weird about 3.0.10? I know that Moz switched from HTML file format for bookmark storage in 2.0 and under to a new database method for 3.0 and up, so that was why I was concerned - is the new database tool/method able to handle my load?

I tried to get ideas from the firefox website support forums, but the location that Mozilla wants me to visit doesn't let me see more than a few hundred posts in a linear format.... not like this forum where ALL posts are always available and are neatly organized.

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever clean up firefox?

I am using "bleachbit"
http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/

I recommend it. What I don't like about Firefox is the long temp. Most visited, last bookmark, and and and ..... bleachbit clean it all and speed up the things.

It also cleans java and flash temp and remove java and flash cockies Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2024 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think this will help me? I always delete cache, delete cookies, delete browsing history, delete saved form and search history, delete offline website data, delete authenticated sessions, delete saved passwords... I delete everything when I quit Firefox.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2024 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Bleachbit website that jada posted, I have learned that there IS a big problem with Bookmarks causing hangs in FF3.

Here is how I found it: The Bleachbit site talks about FF bookmarks disappearing and offers a link to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_delete_or_edit_certain_bookmarks_-_Firefox . I clicked on that link just because I wanted to get into an area Mozilla that searches failed to lead me into.

The glorious result?
The mozillazine link wrote:
Note: For other solutions to missing bookmarks, see Lost bookmarks. If changes made to bookmarks are lost when you restart Firefox, see Bookmarks not saved. If deleting a large quantity of bookmarks is very slow or causes a hang, see Firefox hangs.
BOLD Emphasis is my edit.

The link at the 'Firefox hangs' portion goes to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Hang_deleting_bookmarks_-_Firefox_3

That answers my question - there seems to be a Firefox 3.0 problem handling (I do delete duplicates) large amounts of bookmarks.

From there I found a link discussing problematic extensions: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions But I'm getting ahead of my thread.

Thanks, jada, your post led me to understand that I'm not crazy, there is a common problem.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2024 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information, mmmna, and thanks for following up and sharing it with us!

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2024 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, the answer seems to be to go to Firefox 3.0.11, bookmarks work about normal. As tested in all of 15 minutes, so my own mileage might vary.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: