USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Webkit browsers: Arora, Chrome, and Midori

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject: Webkit browsers: Arora, Chrome, and Midori Reply with quote

Arora, Google Chrome, and Midori are all relatively new Web browsers on the Linux Webkit scene. Chrome and Midori are advancing fast, though Arora is not doing too badly either.

A few months ago, Midori was practically unusable, and you could only use a WINE API enabled version of Chromium if you wanted to see Chrome in action on Linux, but now both of those efforts are in active development, and I have found .deb files for all three of these browsers, so as newer versions come out, I will get them every time I update my system packages.

I am especially impressed with Midori because it has a more fully developed user interface, yet it rivals Chrome in every area of performance, including fast rendering of Google sites.

I've now been using this browser for a couple of hours and I am really starting to like it. I hope the rapid pace of development continues. If it does, this browser will at least share time with Seamonkey on my system. I will be watching all three browsers, though. Chrome is much improved on Linux and VERY fast on AJAX built pages.

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use epiphany for anything firefox balks at. Just wish there was the same sorts of plugins availiable (e.g. adblock, noscript and hackbar).

Don't think I'll be playing with chrome though, if they can backdoor firefox without too much backlash I wouldn't put it past them to try more sinister things in their 'own' browser.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2024 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back here with Chrome. You may be interested to know that it renders and loads this site extremely quickly; better than anything I have seen.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2024 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just said that Google Chrome renders this site faster than anything I have ever seen. Maybe I ought to amend that to say that Webkit browsers, including Midori and Chrome, render this site faster than anything I have ever seen. I am back here with Midori, and I found it is super fast, too, and in some ways it is ahead of Chrome; for example, I can set my fonts and have them stick; I can get up some bookmarks and see them in the traditional way, and I can browse using a familiar interface.

If you want the Safari-like interface, Chrome is worth a look, and Safari is also fast rendering this site, but I'm not going to go over to Windows Vista to prove that tonight; I've used it before and Safari 4 is quite fast, but perhaps a shade slower than Chrome, but faster than Firefox or Opera on sites like this one.

I' m starting to get attached to this Midori, though and I prefer its interface to Chrome, and it is just about as fast as Chrome, and seems to be now the equal of Chrome in stability, whereas a few months ago Midori had issues. Apparently the issues were not Webkit rendering issues, they were coding issues in Midori itself, which now seem to be resolved.

There are some GOOD alternative browsers out there these days! Firefox Shiretoko Version 3.5 is looking good, the nightly builds of the next release after that, Minefield, are also looking good, and Seamonkey 2.0 nightly builds are doing very well too.

However, when it comes to AJAX pages, Webkit, at least for now, beats Gecko, so that means that the Chrome, Midori, Safari browsers are faster than the Firefox and Seamonkey browsers, and also faster than the Opera browsers on AJAX oriented pages or anything primarily based on Javascript.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2024 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukes wrote:
I tend to use epiphany for anything firefox balks at. Just wish there was the same sorts of plugins availiable (e.g. adblock, noscript and hackbar).

Don't think I'll be playing with chrome though, if they can backdoor firefox without too much backlash I wouldn't put it past them to try more sinister things in their 'own' browser.

If you are leery of Google and Chrome, why not take a peek at Midori instead? It is coming along really well. IF you run at least Version 0.1.7-b3ff8a0 - or something newer if it comes out, performance, stability, and features are surprisingly good for something so new, though the project has been in the works for nearly two years now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: