USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

HTML 5: The end of closed source rich media?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2024 2:39 am    Post subject: HTML 5: The end of closed source rich media? Reply with quote

Infoworld posted an article titled "HTML 5: Could it kill Flash and Silverlight?". It involves a favorite dislike of mine: Flash. Then along came M$ Silverlight, just so M$ can try and make internet life that much more incompatible. Somewhere in there, Sun popped into this market with JavaFX, but I'm not sure I've ever seen any of that content.

HTML5: PLEASE hurry, and PLEASE be sure to allow the user to have the option to control their web experience... that is why AdblockPlus is so popular - we want to control the amount of ads which we experience; that is why there is FlashBlock - we KNOW that Flash is not the answer; that is why we have Nuke Anything - we do NOT like the way some sites are created; and so on. On the other hand, commercial interests will likely force HTML5 to have some elements which will be both irremovable and also not user alterable... after all, what good would it be in developing new content control, format & delivery methods if those commercial interests can't cram something down our pipe?

Anyways, yeah, I can hope for a better web future to come from HTML5, even if it is years away.

Here are some talking points from the article, if you are interested:
Quote:
HTML 5 tackles the gap that Flash, Silverlight, and JavaFX are trying to fill.
Nice. As long as M$ doesn't try to add their own special stuff that only works with Explorer or otherwise tips the balance in any manner.

Quote:
HTML 5 technologies such as Canvas, for 2-D drawing on a Web page, are being promoted by heavyweights in the Internet space such as Apple, Google, and Mozilla. (Although Microsoft itself has given a thumbs-up to certain aspects of HTML 5, it has not backed Canvas.)
Raise your hand if you are surprised that M$ doesn't want to back broad collaborations such as Canvas!

Quote:
One of HTML 5's goals is to move the Web away from proprietary technologies such as Flash, Silverlight, and JavaFX, ...
And why not? Having the technologies clearly declares that consumers like them, so why not thank all the participants for their contributions and then make it an official part of Web 5.0?

mushroom
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2024 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: HTML 5: The end of closed source rich media? Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:
HTML5: PLEASE hurry,

My sentiments exactly Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Eliminate are proprietary formats from the web and what do you have Question

A level playing field with no lock ins Exclamation

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HTML 5: The end of closed source rich media? Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:

Quote:
One of HTML 5's goals is to move the Web away from such proprietary technologies as Flash, Silverlight, and JavaFX, ...
And why not? Having the technologies clearly declares that consumers like them, so why not thank all the participants for their contributions and then make it an official part of Web 5.0?

proprietary technologies I think that's the goal of almost everyone who makes the move to Open Source Wink Cool Cool
Good find mmmna Wink

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm looking for the day when I can say to Adobe: "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!". I would dearly appreciate seeing Adobe dependency completely wither. Acrobat Reader needs to be retitled Acrobat Bleeder for the amount of pain it now inflicts, and having Adobe Flash get obsoleted by HTML5... that would be dandy! Yet just 6 years ago, I chewed out someone for creating a document in Microsoft Word format, I told them I didn't own a copy of Word and Acrobat Reader was free so almost every system had Acrobat reader....

It is interesting, though, because the very popularity of closed source is breeding contempt of closed source. The more they charge, the more people won't want to purchase the latest version of the software.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the last time I touched Acrobat reader. I used to use Kpdf, now use Okular, and both of them seem faster, more stable, and of course easier to get than Acrobat reader.

I even use Okular on windows I like it so much.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2024 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, many FOSS tools work fine for PDF. Still, I just get irritated with "competitive but incompatible". Open Office works so well. Look at how many import/export formats are supported by Open Office! Evince works very well for my PDF reader needs. I just can't wait until HTML5 gets approved.............................

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: