USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

GPS devices... any chance of running Linux?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2024 12:05 am    Post subject: GPS devices... any chance of running Linux? Reply with quote

Ok, I'm trying to find any way to convert my Nextar M3 portable GPS from Windows CE Core 5.0 to some version of an embedded Linux. I'm not looking to activate GPS in a cellphone, I'm not looking to "use a laptop to run Linux with a GPS device to become a large screened car navigation aid". I found lots of that, even when I made Google search queries with lots of "-netbook -laptop -desktop -pc -phone -cellphone -car"

I'm wondering if there is a way of replacing the Windows CE with a small embedded Linux OS where I can also install some Linux GPS software. I'm saying "is there a parallel to how I run Rockbox on my Sandisk Sansa e260"?

Probably not.

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2024 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get what you want Wink

But I think you like a OS Linux on your Sandisk Sansa e260 with GPS Software. I am right?

Search in the aria from Android. I know there are several projects, also running Android on a netbook and what ever ....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2024 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that was not what I intended.

I have already put Rockbox on my Sandisk Sansa e260, so now the Sandisk Sansa e260 works by using a different os from the os that it shipped with. The Sandisk Sansa e260 does not have GPS devices in it. Rockbox is like a different os for portable MP3 players. Rockbox does the same jobs as the original software.

In the same idea, can I put Linux into my GPS device as a replacement for Windows CE? I think the answer is no.

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2024 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:

In the same idea, can I put Linux into my GPS device as a replacement for Windows CE? I think the answer is no.

No is not and answer and yes you can! It will be a lot of work ....., have fun with it Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2024 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a digital hardware geek, analog is my thing. I need prepackaged, already proven type stuff.

Cope57

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2024 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GPS devices... any chance of running Linux?

GPS + Linux = Tom Tom

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux + Nextar = null

Nothing out there as of right now. I might try to open the case to see if it has a known processor. I figure I can get all the chips listed and then ... then I wait for someone else to hack Linux onto that GPS and that processor. Could be months, if ever. My only hope arises from the fact that Windows CE Core 5.0 is on it. Hoping that means my GPS uses an old chip since Windows CE 6.0 is out.

Maybe if I could safely unlock the embedded stuff.... poke around and then lock it up again.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2024 3:32 am    Post subject: Well, maybe I won't be hacking it. Reply with quote

GpsPasSion discusses many possible steps of hacking Nextar GPS boxes. That thread certainly it discusses more steps than I wanted to follow. Although that thread discusses getting into the WinCE environment to use the embedded WinCE OS, discussion hints that replacing the os in the gps unit is not any different than trying to boot my mp3 player with RockBox: just a hack is all that possibly can be done unless someone exposes bootloader information. It is a shame that this gps is built using a standard gps integrated circuit platform, but it seems nobody discusses the platform in regards Linux development (which is possible according to SiRF). All I can find is this page: http://www.ualberta.ca/~ckuethe/gps/ and that references Linux as a host os for certain situations here http://home.earthlink.net/~cwkelley/, and that seems to be all there is.

Did I miss something?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: