USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

default window manager - GDM 2.26.1??

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbharris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2024 6:52 am    Post subject: default window manager - GDM 2.26.1?? Reply with quote

hey all,
you know i am not one to ask a question with out busting my butt to figure out the issue on my own - but for the life of me i can not get the users default window manager to be there - for me fvwm, my kids use gnome and the wife kde.

any idea???

jester

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

Are you using Fedora-fc11? The reason I ask is that many distros have frozen gdm at 2.20.x due to the policy-kit transition (could be wrong there) despite releasing the rest of Gnome 2.24 or 2.26 in their repos.

As I discovered trying to help DedannaRocks in this thread it seems that Fedora are ploughing their own furrow in this regard and (at least for Gnome 2.22) tools like gdm-setup were not released with the new gdm.

Since (to the best of my knowledge) few other distro users have access to 'unmasked' gdm-2.26 you may do better on the fedora forums or irc #.

I am downloading the dvd of fc-11-x86-64 in the meantime to see if I can make any sense of it

^^which is detracting from my ongoing fvwm experimentation Wink

edit: I was thinking about this some more while the dvd blanks and under gdm up to 2.20 at least once you get to gdm and type in your user name and password you automatically go into gnome. However, if you select another WM/DE before entering user & password just before logging in it will ask if you want to use that session just this time or to set as default.

Like this root has always been gnome for me and as jester the default has been whatever I preferred at the time. Again without seeing 2.26 I can't see what's changed but while I wait, has that functionality changed?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pbharris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2024 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jester -
yes - fedora 11. well gdm has been kinda wierd this time around - i needed to run [b]setfacl -m g:gdm:x ~[/b[ to get the face browser to work, which is a crappy solution.

gdm used to ask if the selected one (FVWM of course) should be the default WM but does not anymore, i took a look at their switchdesk stuff and it modifys .xinitrc, which for gdm should be .dmrc. I am wondering if SELinux is doing something here...

in other news - good old xdm works fine Smile

jester

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I created 3 users and installed fvwm + kde4 on top of gnome - no messing with gdm so no face browser but right now each user boots into the last used WM/DE (no questions about defaults came though) - only difference maybe is that I switched off SELinux stuff?

Maybe I'm missing something still? <-- happens a lot recently Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pbharris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2024 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jester!
i was on vacation for a bit - anywho - there has been an update to gdm, i installed it (was running xdm) and how it appears to be working properly. i am usre you are loving fvwm Smile

jester

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2024 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey paul - glad to hear you got it sorted - which version is it? I'm using gdm-2.26.1-12.fc11.x86_64 and no face browser here

I hope the vacation was good - just came back from one myself the other week - almost didn't get back on the plane Smile

Since I've been tinkering with Fedora-11 I've not spent much time on fvwm to be honest - maybe give it a go next weekend.

pbharris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jester - now i am at gdm gdm-2.26.1-12.fc11.x86_64. face browser works IF you run setfacl -m g:gdm:x ~ - which appears to allow the group gdm to have access to a users home directory. i would think you could run it on just ~/.face - but no dice when i tried it.

vacation was good - just way too short!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: