USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

sidux 2024.2 xfxe wavelan plugin installation help

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julian516

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: sidux 2024.2 xfxe wavelan plugin installation help Reply with quote

Unlike any other distribution I have used or tested, sidux 2024.2-xfce (amd-64) gives no indication on the desktop that a successful wireless connection has been made. In fact ceni works very well, but the only way I have found to know that I am connected to my network is to open my browser and try to load a page. Something like a Network Manager or wicd icon is nowhere to be seen.

I have located xfce-wavelan-plugin, unzipped, untarred and taken a look at the wavelan folder. Suffice it to say the installation process appears arcane, at least to this newcomer. If I am reading the installation directions corrrectly I must first compile wavelan and then do the installation?

I surely would like to hear from someone who actually has done this before I plunge in. Are there rocks in this pond? Am I going to have to download and install a compiler? If so is gcc the weapon of choice?

Wavelan is not crucial for my system, but I would like to learn how to do an installation such as this. I surely would appreciate a helping hand from someone who has done it.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wicd should add an icon if you install it. I used to use xfce sidux and unless they've changed it in Debian since then, wicd does add an icon. Do you have wicd installed (I suggest wicd over networkmanager because networkmanager is horribly unstable IMO in Debian unstable, even though it is actually much more full featured than wicd).

julian516

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2024 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I do not have wicd installed and I am thinking of doing so. I have used it in my earlier versions of Ubuntu and it worked very well.

BTW, much to my embarrasment I discovered after posting that I could add wavelan by simply right-clicking on the xfce bar at the bottom of the page and using "Add New Items."

GRONK!

Clue: Synaptic, which I had installed earlier, returned an indication that wavelan was already installed on my system. That was odd because I could not find it and a terminal would not start it, at least with any name variation I used. Apparently this is as simple as a right-click in the apropriate place. Embarassed

Next time we do a bit more investigating!

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, never actually used wavelan myself since I use wicd on everything that I can. Does it allow you to manage, or just monitors?

julian516

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2024 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strictly a monitor, Tim, but I thought all I needed was something to tell me I was connected without having to open the browser. I suppose it all goes back to the fact that I got used to seeing Network Manager on my Gnome desktops!

In most every respect sidux is running nicely, though I am still getting to know it and xfce. I had used xfce a bit and liked it, but this is as long as I have used it on a daily basis. Seems to be fine.

My remaining challenge is to get a better, which is to say non-free, nvidia driver loaded on this machine. Coward that I am, anything that might sabotage xorg makes me nervous!

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2024 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

download the smxi/sgfxi scripts. MAkes it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier. I swear by sgfxi on all my debian installs, whether Debian Squeeze, Debian Sid, Sidux, Dreamlinux, Mepis, or what. sgfxi is just SOOOOOOOOO nicely done for installing nvidia drivers correctly.

julian516

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir! masinick suggested smxi and I have looked at it but not used it. I think I am about to go there and check your suggestions!

If it will gt me to dry land on the other side of the nvidia swamp I am for it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: