USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Seamonkey vs firefox.... a quick test and....

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2024 4:44 am    Post subject: Seamonkey vs firefox.... a quick test and.... Reply with quote

Quite a difference. Firefox is getting slower with each new version; even when I went from ff 3.0.12 to 3.5.2, I saw slower load times. Just installed Seamonkey 1.1.17 and it screams by comparison.

For either browser, my Linksys wireless router is using OpenDNS, each browser sees nothing for up to 4 to 6 seconds, then Seamonkey just churns for a second or 2 and Firefox needs over 30 seconds, each browser loading the same Google.

Sadly, I'm sure it is probably some plugin, since Seamonkey has none and Firefox has several. Not a happy 'net user.

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this.

in Firefox browse to about:config and set the key network.dns.disableIPv6 to true.

Try the experiment again. Caused a HUGE improvement in performance for me

Actually IPv6 has caused me so many problems in so many tiny ways since my routers and stuff are old enough that if they do support IPv6 it's buggy as heck. So I disable IPv6 support by default by blacklisting the module.

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2024 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disabled all of the addons in FireFox, that sped things up a bit.

Checking on the ipv6 disable.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2024 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Simply wow. This is what they were talking about for 2x as fast as earlier versions. This setting really did the trick. Thanks for that tip. I forgot that 3.0 to 3.5 is a major change.

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2024 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell the truth I had forgotten too. Untill I recently tried to debug a problem a customer was having with ASP.NET and Firefox. Turnsout that the server bundled with visual studio has rather crippled IPv6 support.... Go figure.

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2024 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, any time when I am using any browser in the Mozilla family and it seems to slug along, I check about:config and search for IPV --- which brings up the IPV6 resource. If set to the default, I toggle it. That alone nearly always gets me a twofold to fourfold increase in page search times.

I had a sluggish Iceweasel browser on one of my systems and I was thinking at first, "Wow, have these newer browsers become all that much faster? Then I decided to check, and sure enough, that IPV6 resource was causing every page to search for an IPV6 page first, then IPV4 - which nearly everyone still has. Toggled it, and Iceweasel was better. I do think that the 3.6 and 3.7 test instances of Firefox are faster than the 3.0 series, and some of the 3.5 bugs have been fixed in the test versions, too.

For me, I find that Seamonkey just meets my needs better, and when I do run Windows, I use Seamonkey nightly there too. In fact, I am running Virtualbox 3.0.6 on Debian Lenny right now and I have Seamonkey nightly running in a Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7100 - and it is not bad at all.

g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2024 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox with noscript/adblock plus is actually faster than seamonkey in my experience. I can't wait until seamonkey 2 though because FF3.0 is such a memory hog.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2024 2:48 am    Post subject: My observations have been different Reply with quote

g33kb0ard3r wrote:
Firefox with noscript/adblock plus is actually faster than seamonkey in my experience. I can't wait until seamonkey 2 though because FF3.0 is such a memory hog.

I am running Seamonkey 2.0pre, Build ID: 20240911235329, and I can (and do) add Adblock Plus to each running version. My experience is that initially, Seamonkey, even with both Web and Mail clients running, consumes slightly less memory than any versions of Firefox, test or released, and it also renders slightly faster.

I ran one of those benchmark suites the other day with my instance for that day and it came out of the entire suite at somewhere in the 2400 ms range to run all of the tests - more than three times what Google Chrome takes, but close to Firefox, but outpacing it by a small margin. That's what I see when I run it; Seamonkey Nightly beats Firefox Nightly and handily beats Firefox 3.0 or 3.5.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2024 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Iceweasel on Dreamlinux, and have wondered why it seems so slow ..... I'm going to check on the IPV6 thingy and see what I've got.
BTW, I use adblock plus, but I got rid of no scripts ..... to much hassle to cloci allow on every page you go to, and then soetimes you have to do it again because it only allows partials ..... reminds me a lot of a Norton/Symantic suite which tried to take over the wife's XP computer ..... my wife's still fuming about that!

Well, it was set to true, so I guess it's just my imagination Wink

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
reminds me a lot of a Norton/Symantic suite which tried to take over the wife's XP computer ..... my wife's still fuming about that!
Wifey just bought a Dell 1545 to replace her Averatec 2370 which cracked the LCD. Her system is not a slouch, and can't get out of its own way. Somethings we PAID $40 to have Best Buy de-install were still there. Norton/Symantec something, etc, etc.

The IPV6 thing was biting me on the netbook and on the desktop and on wifeys Dell (she prefers Firefox). You know, we rail against Microsoft for bad 'default' configuration settings, I have to say Mozilla setting IPV6 to true in Firefox is pretty much the same exact thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: