USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Where has KDE gone

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2024 11:40 pm    Post subject: Where has KDE gone Reply with quote

For the third time in recent months, I have added K3b to an install of the newer KDE. I don't remember the others, but the last was Mandriva.
I did notice there area lot of other small packages that have to be installed.
I just did it paying little attention. But after the fact, I begin to wonder...did I mess something? why is the old standby, proven, easy to use burner being left out? Is it because it is too heavy..too inefficient? Is something else considered better? Has it gone proprietary?
Does anyone have any insight
NOTE: The install is simple with most distros.

Background: I use KDE most of the time if I am going to download and burn ISO's, make copies, or any such because I got used to KDE ( and other KDE tools ) in Mandrake many moons ago. I enjoy the implementations of several lighter windows managers, but like KDE because all is, or at least, was familiar <G><

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2024 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which 'old standby proven easy to use burner'? I've used GCombust until a few years ago, that was pretty simple. I still use K3B, I seem to grasp what it needs. Then there is Acetone and SimpleBurn.... and the crusty old commandline. Brasero, GnomeBaker, Grafburn, Graveman, Nautilus-burn, and Xfburn for XFCE. I hear that Rhythmbox will burn.

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2024 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE has moved from Monolithic builds (about 8 total packages for the DE) to split builds (about 300 packages i think)

this means that fewer programs are installed by default although all are still available.For example that means that I no longer have to have abiword installed to have evolution. this means that my system has a smaller disk footprint alowing more space for data storage.

It is linux, just the parts that you want.

Also, I could be wrong but i think K3B split off from the oficial KDE sources and is now a separate project, although still dependant on QT and other KDE libaries.

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2024 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smaller footprint?

hmmmm The 2,000 gig harddrive is now a reality <G><
In ofice Max, Best Buy, and such, you have to shop around to find an HD smaller than 500 gigs. I appreciate the fact most Linux are about 2.5 gig on install, and even the DVD monter installs like Sabayon seldom get to 5 gigs...unlike that other proprietary OS at up t0 12 to 15 gigs.
But what is wrong with this picture.

WAH stomps foot I want my K3b

seriously, of all the possible burners, it may be me, but I have never made a Frisbee with K3b.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2024 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmna wrote
Quote:
Then there is Acetone and SimpleBurn.... and the crusty old commandline. Brasero, GnomeBaker, Grafburn, Graveman, Nautilus-burn, and Xfburn for XFCE. I hear that Rhythmbox will burn.

How many of those have been standard with KDE since almost the beginning? Of course I did not start burning ISO's to images big time till some time after we finally got cable our here in the third World part of Illinois, and the club became more active. About the same time frame....5 or 6 years ago. Before that, I usually bought disks

I remember my joy the first time I burnt an ISO to an image without making a Frisbee in Gnome. Don't remember the burner, but K3b was one of 4 or 5 reasons I preferred KDE. The more things that work for me out of the box the more I appreciate the time saved for something else.

But actually, I was just curious why all of a sudden I got ready to burn slack, and no K3b. After many Frisbees, I don't normally even bother with any burners for ISO's except K3b or Roxio. Sure, some of them might, a few have in a pinch, but why waste a disk to find out as I have in the past. The disks are cheap, but my time and temper are not. <G><

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2024 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when KDE did not offer K3B. Is that just me? lol!
melloe wrote:
smaller footprint?
Yeah..... these newfangled things called 'Netbooks' need UI to be fairly well trimmed. For example, take my EeePC 900A, where Best Buy demanded this model should have a 4 GB Solid State Disk Drive. I don't NEED AbiWord, and I don't have the space to install redundant functions (AbiWord is redundant since I will always elect to install Open Office).

I'm also having a similar bundling issue with Ubuntu UNR 9.04: If I want to uninstall any of a few tiny little fluffy gadgets, I have to also uninstall the whole netbook user interface. I'd still have Gnome as a desktop manager, but I have to uninstall the whole Netbook UI? Really? AbiWord and K3B were also like this.

Personally, I'm sure glad that I now have better control over which KDE tools get forced upon me. AbiWord is a great example.

Personally, I like K3B, but if that EeePC 900A had been built with a disc burner, I'd be GCombusting, not K3Bing.

Quote:
seriously, of all the possible burners, it may be me, but I have never made a Frisbee with K3b.
I hear ya. I just went through a spell where a RECENT version of K3B made several coasters in a row. We all seem to find applications that 'just work' for us. I have burned CDR's at the command line, until Gnomes 'GCombust' became a GUI burning tool available on that system so many years ago. I've made coasters and good discs at the command line, but considering my skills, I'm not concerned.

I still get coasters from time to time, I usually get over it pretty quickly.... unless my last disc is in sight..... THEN I get ugly.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2024 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even for netbooks, this is a temporary thing. SSD sizes are balloninng as we speak. But I agree, we are talking getting operating systems to work in the here and now with equipment available for a low costs.

My bad, I never even considered that. I don't do any portable devices.
Got rid of my notebook when I tried to fix it and found out how they were put together. It was in a box in the warehouse when I closed down. Got rid of my cell when the business went to pot. Got rid of both land line telephones shortly after that. I finally got a cable phone when my Son needed to be able to call for help. Hate it.

Last edited by melloe on Wed Sep 02, 2024 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:
..... THEN I get ugly.

Hmmmmmmm I suppose this is NOT the time to interject with a snide comment Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got lotsa '[blanks', go for it! (pun intended).

lemme guess.... 'aren't you always hard to look at?'

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: