USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

9.10 fstab & ntfs

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jascotty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2024 4:30 am    Post subject: 9.10 fstab & ntfs Reply with quote

i have a ntfs partition on my laptop where i store a great quantity of my data.. ntfs because i rarely use windows, but when i do, i want to be able to access that data

i have an entry in fstab to automount the partition (because i have several links to that drive in my home folder)

(not sure if it's a new problem, but) i moved the contents of ~/.wine to a backup folder on the data partition, set up a link to that location, and now cannot execute wine:
"wine: ~/.wine is not owned by you"

the file permissions are 777, but the owner is 'root', and i can't figure out how to change it..

can it be done?

p.s. fstab entry: "/dev/sda5 /media/Data ntfs defaults 0 0"

p.p.s.s [admins] should probably make a new topic category on the lines of "Upgrading" for problems that seem to materialise when upgrading ubuntu

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2024 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't store your wine directory on an ntfs partition.

you might be able to get it to work but it will cause you to go bald from stress within three months. Put it on a sane file system like ext3 or reiserfs. incidently there is a third party file system driver for windows that will let you mount and read/write an ext3 file system. I forget what the software is, but a little googling for terms like "windows" and "ext3" should find it in quick order.

As to the updating section those questions are specific enough to a single distrobution (Ubuntu) that it makes more sense to bring those questions to a forum that caters to the distribution (like the ubuntu forums) than to a general site like USALUG. Or so I think anyway.

Thats not to say we won't try our darndest to help you of course. we'll always try to help.

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days are filled with changes....

The traditional Linux (Unix) methodology of assigning devices to nodes in /dev is where we get /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab. But that stuff is for boot time and has problems with mounting and unmounting devices 'on demand' (after boot time configuration).

Those files are not for devices which are attached by users (those are for root); those entries represent how the system should be configured at startup. There is only little ability to handle devices inserted after boot. Note that the modern Linux kernel can handle such changes, but nothing arranges the changes for device users (people and software), after the boot process ends.

The current tool, today, is often hardware abstraction layer, or hal. We might be using a distribution which uses hald (the daemon for hal) for dynamic creation of /dev nodes; this is about to pass, from what I read. I'll explain, but only just a little.

First, I visited the Wikipedia entry for hal which says:
Quote:
As of 2024, projects such as Ubuntu and X.org are in the process of deprecating HAL as it has "become a large monolithic unmaintainable mess".[4] It will be replaced by DeviceKit and existing functionality in udev and the kernel. In March of 2024, DeviceKit was deprecated in favor of adding the same code to udev as a package: udev-extras.

Next, I visited the Wikipedia entry for DeviceKit, and that entry says:
Quote:
DeviceKit Future

According to DeviceKit devel mailing list, DeviceKit is getting merged with udev-extra and the existing DeviceKit programs such as DeviceKit-disks and DeviceKit-power will be switched over to use libudev.

So, for a layperson to learn what is happening to devices and their permissions, they would have to research among up to 3 differing locations for what documentation exists that might apply to their distribution. I'm sorry for that difficulty - I'd prefer to have ONE thing work properly, but such is the life of Linux development - always maturing. I haven't much else to offer you jascotty, mostly because I also can't get a decent grip on the very same permissions issues you are having.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: