USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Quick question maybe you can help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff K USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2024 8:00 am    Post subject: Quick question maybe you can help. Reply with quote

Ok wasn't sure where to post this. So can an admin please move if needed.

Anyways to my question. I remember in Ubuntu I could choose update and everything was updated... well my ubuntu partition crashed or got corrupted or something and I didnt have any dvd's just cd's and u cant download ubuntu to a 700mb cd because its like 763 mb... yeah those measly 63mb are a pain... well anyways So I am running slax because it was a 200mb download and it was fast to download. So now my question is...

What should I do about security?? Before I didn't have to worry because Ubuntu updater kept me up to date and everything. Now I feel like a sitting duck waiting to be shot or something because there is no "update" button... This is more towards security wise software not so much the rest of the software on SLAX

Sorry if this seems semi long.. but could anyone help me...

coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running slax as a live disk, or did you install it? I haven't used slax in a bit, but if my memory serves me, they don't run updates like the other distros. The reason for this was that the creator meant for slax to be run from the cd. You should be fine running it without the updates. I never had any issues. Masinick may have some updated information, he seems to keep up with slax I think.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jeff K USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running from the live CD but last night since I couldn't use my windows partition(I erased the grub bootloader partition...). Since I played around and learned how to install it to the Hard drive and learned how to install Lilo(bootloader) I think overall I learned something new.

I was reading you have to pretty much erase almost all the files in SLAX and replace with the new versions files for it to be updated... I am not sure but seems kind of tedious if they start popping out more and more updates...

But anyways to answer your question I am running it from my Hard Drive.

For only 200mb it seems to beat M$ vista... well thats my opinion.. Vista seemed to p*** me off a lot. I like learning something new that is why I am going to learn to use SLAX and possibly other Distro's later on. Very Happy

coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Vista making you mad. We just made the switch at my office. It's horrible. Nothing like being halfway done with a case, and IE shutting down on me.

You should be fine running it though. For kudo points for me though, you should install arch. That would make crouse happy Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not certain I understand your predicament. Are you wanting to run Slax as your main distro?? Being a "mini-distro", you may be setting yourself up for a disappointment when it comes to the automatic upgrade functions. I keep a USB drive with Slax as my live choice, but easy to upgrade it may not be!! Look for a little larger (bloated??) distro for something that automatically upgrade. I think OpenSuSE, Vector, most of the 'Buntus, should work.

ANY Linux distro is far better than (hasta la) Vista!! You should not be too concerned about security issues if the Linux is on a personal computer and you don't run it as root for daily functions.

Come to think of it, for most functions on a personal computer, you'll find that constantly chasing the latest upgraded package isn't a necessity to effectively run a Linux system.

You can use the WinVista install disk to repair your MBR to salvage the Vista partition. Reinstall a distro that is more upgrade friendly (with a grub or lilo bootloader). OpenSuSE is pretty "polite" about putting your Win partition properly configured with GRUB.

Welcome to USALUG! You came to the right place for help.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Slax, you should be fine security wise between versions on a home computer running as a user. Even as root, ( I am not recommending it ) the chances of you being infected with anything are slim. I have never installed Slax. Run it from the CD. I usually run a full KDE or xfce version of a distro as default on each box

Don't confuse the Linux update process with the windows update process. With windows it is a must to stay ahead of the bad guys.... patching up holes. With Linux, it is as much a continuous improvement process as anything for the home user. The security updates that would effect the average home user security wise are few and far between. I have run some distros between versions without ever updating. My bad <G>< Usually stay in the update loop to help improve Linux.

The main reason for having virus software, as an example, with linux is to protect windows folks you might communicate from any badie you might pass on unknowingly that did nothing to your box, but might break a windows box.

Last edited by melloe on Wed Dec 02, 2024 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeff K USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Awesome to know that Linux isn't as buggy or well shall I say a piece of crap like Vista...
I swear I got so tired of updating my laptop... I would start to do something I was interested in(normally gaming) then next thing I know I am getting an update message that wont go away...

Well I think I will just run SLAX for now... I might get a few more live CD's to play around with though.
I love how the OS is so small. It out runs Vista anyday on my laptop. Also I love how the features it comes with are limited meaning It boots in practically seconds(30-45) not minutes(5-15..)..

Funny thing is I have always wanted a basic stripped down version of Windows without all the extra crap(applications) that I will never use..
I like the idea of having little clutter as possible(more RAM usage for things I want it for) and have the ability to only have applications I want.

I am wanting to start learning C++ maybe I can even make my own applications one day...

Anyways not trying to make this long. Thanks for the replies. You can either end the thread now or you can keep posting lol dont mind keeping a conversation flowing.

Just wandering what is everyones thoughts on running Red Hat? I had someone suggest that to me, and I took it into consideration once..

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just wandering what is everyones thoughts on running Red Hat? I had someone suggest that to me, and I took it into consideration once..

Red hat is an enterprise operating system aimed at stability, security, and scalability rather than speed, and bleeding edge newer kernel and applications.

I seriously doubt you would be pleased with its handling of games and the likes. There a lot of Linux OS better suited for the casual user on the desktop.

Of the full size Distros
The *bumtus. I prefer Kubuntu
SimplyMepis, Mint, OpenSUSE, Mandriva, pclos ( PCLinuxOS ), Fedora ( Red Hat's testing ? ), and more
Once a bit more expreience, there are sidux, Debian, a dozen or more slackware clones to name a few.
If you want real challenge, and like the command line, there are Slackware, and Gentoo and ARCH and their clones.

Just to touch the surface.

jester

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To echo Melloe's comments, there hasn't been a free home-oriented Red Hat distro for several years; that is now offered under the Fedora Core name and is essentially a test-bed for their commercial offering. Red Hat are a major contributor of code and innovation to the linux arena and Fedora is a good way to sample those, however, things often require fixing. I've been trying FC12 recently and it's required a lot of google-foo to get working 'just-so'.

The Ubuntus are not a bad way to get started (were you not able to use overburn to squeeze the 763mb onto a CD?). Mandriva's latest is getting good press from some of our users.

OpenSUSE is very polished but is often accused of being bloated and slow (haven't tried it since 10.x, so can't vouch); for Mepis, Mint and PCLos I'll have to hand over to others.

Debian could be a good one - it's one of the longest-standing distros around and has become easier in recent releases to install.

As much as I like them, I'd probably suggest keeping Slackware and Gentoo for later; Arch however I think is worth the extra time during install to tweak a few config files. There are some nice guides on their wiki and on these forums too. Plus you'll get support from the numerous users here - there are at least 4 or 5 of us who are long-time users.

Best of luck finding your 'match' Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeff K USA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2024 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently burning Fedora Live CD right now.
Trying to get a feel for Linux. So far I can do some easy stuff and thigns I could do on Vista. The only thing I am having to look into is Networking. SLAX doesn't come with any of the Manuals it says it is supposed to so Google has become a great friend of mine.

I hope I really start to like Linux enough to stay with it... I heard lots of good praise on Windows 7 and I have a chance to get a free copy of it... so... hopefully I become addicted to Linux fast...

bdquick
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2024 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never hurts to know multiple operating systems.

Jeff K USA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2024 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I decided to go ahead and Install to Hard Drive.
I like Fedora more then SLAX and I read that Fedora is good for developers.
That is good for me becuase I want to get into programming and start developing my own applications, and hopefully start freelancing after I get everything down.

I am having fun using Linux believe it or not... Most people get p***** when confronted with a problem. I laugh try and find all possible solutions then ask if I can't find them..

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I heard lots of good praise on Windows 7

What a con man does..Set a low standard ( mistahVISTA )
And then make some improvements over the low standard ( win7 )

Praise the new offering, and claim once again how they are to be going to be different from the last 20 some odd years of producing ratty software <G><
While hiding as best they can the nasty side of windows. Hide, as an example, how fragged up their drive file system gets because of poor file handling by no longer showing a graphical representation of the fragmentation while defragging. Put a pretty face on 12 to 15 gigs of crap .

I used and serviced windows. Still do to a limited extent.....Any change in the way they work would put a lot of people out of work. No problem there ~ snicker

In case anyone missed it, tales tongue out of cheek

Jeff K USA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2024 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said good praise I meant from a friend who uses Mac and is not to fond of windows.
He is in the CST (Computer Service Tech) class up here at my vocational school.
He is the one that can get me the free copy of Windows 7 Very Happy

Well so far I am loving FC 12 just got to downloads some codecs and what not to watch videos and music files.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: