USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

very unusual xorg issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2024 12:10 am    Post subject: very unusual xorg issue Reply with quote

Just did some Debian updates today. Got one of my laptops that when it boots, xorg just comes up black and then some distortion, never actually loads any form of desktop. If I try a startx from the command line, it begins to start, then drops out. So pretty common, right? Here's the odd part. The laptop is a Dell Studio 1535 with the Intel video. Why's that so odd? I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 (Intel video) that I updated also, no issues. Dell Inspiron 1525 (Intel video) that I updated, no issues. And Asus K60IJ (Intel video), no issues. All the same Debian Squeeze. Not hardware, as Kubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7 on the same hardware work just flawlessly.

I've tried booting no xorg.conf, generating a new xorg.conf, resetting all xorg settings, completely removing and purging xorg then reinstalling. All got me nowhere. REALLY odd considering all my laptops have Debian Squeeze, all have Intel chipsets with Intel graphics, and all the others after the same updates (literally I had all 4 doing a dist-upgrade side by side) are just fine.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen major Xorg/Ubuntu/ATI issues recently. Installation, unmodified, works ok, but if I install ANY drivers for the ATI graphic in my U9.10 64bit, (and UNR9.10 on same hardware), the drivers destroy X, and it locks so badly, I cannot get a console.

I'd wonder if Jockey is at fault, but you are setting things up by hand and are not better for the effort.

My Asus EeePC 900A/Linux netbook has UNR 9.10 on it and that has intel 945, iirc. Works really well, even tried some compiz-fusion stuff, but too slow.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I run all the 3d stuff on all my systems anymore. Even my weakest laptop (The Asus, CD T4300 (2.1 GHz, 1 MB L2) w/ 4 GB ram & Intel graphics) is more than enough to handle it smoothly anymore.

As an update, I also updated all my desktops (nvidia graphics cards all 3), and had no issues with any of them. So out of 7 systems, 6 took the upgrades without issue. And realistically speaking, the one that has issues shoudln't, since 3 of the other systems have similar specs and had none.

Oh well, I'll wait a bit and try upgrading again, until then Kubuntu works fine so I'm just using that on the Studio.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, more updates today, and xorg is no closer to working on the Studio for Debian than it was when I wrote this. Kubuntu and Win7 still work flawlessly, Debian still completely useless. So weird.

jester

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at 3 configs for Dell Studio 1535 - 2 had ATI Technologies Inc Mobilitiy Radeon HD 3400 Series and 1 had ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570

The Dell Inspiron 1525 seem to have Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 but I didn't check all of them; the 1545 has Intel®  Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD according to the Dell site

ElsewhereI see the Studio 1535 with Intel X3100 too, so seems there are many configs

I don't own an Intel gfx chipset so just fishing, but it seems that you need KMS so that DRI2 and UXA can be enabled automatically

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2024 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROGRESS (of a sorts)

With the new 2.6.32-3-amd64 kernel, it will now boot to kdm. However, it will not allow you to log in. You try, the screen goes wonky for a second, and then it's back at a kdm screen. But still, better than it WAS!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: