USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Linux Mint

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Linux Mint Reply with quote

Distribution Release: Linux Mint 8
Linux Mint Clement Lefebvre has announced the release of Linux Mint 8 "KDE" edition: "The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 8 'Helena' KDE Community edition. The KDE Community edition aims to provide a version of Linux Mint which uses the KDE desktop. This edition is based on Kubuntu 9.10, Linux 2.6.31, X.Org 7.4 and it comes with the latest KDE 4.3.4 and Amarok 2.2.1. Featured improvements in this release: OEM installation, possibility to ignore updates, multiple selection in Software Manager. Software Manager's graphical interface is now easier to use and it shows more content. The layout was changed and by putting the screenshots in the corner of the application you can now see more software and more reviews at once. You don't need to manually refresh Software Manager anymore. When new data is available you get notified by Update Manager." See the release announcement,http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1265 release notes http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_helena_kde.html
and what's new http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_helena_kde_whatsnew.html

Download: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.html?id=47
Or at www.distrowatch.com
LinuxMint-8-KDE.iso (1,108MB, MD5, torrent).

jester

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying out linuxmint 8 on livecd - I'm in Europe on business and picked up Linux User which has a DVD with linux mint + debian squeeze + kubuntu for netbooks + some apps

I have to say this is very polished compared to the last version I used (maybe 5 or 6) - can't install here as it's the company laptop hence the livecd (and gnome for those who care)

I know there's some opinions on the lead dev for being to vocal about his views, but if you put all that to one side, this is a very attractive option for first timers (and it's not brown!)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2024 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know there's some opinions on the lead dev for being to vocal about his views, but if you put all that to one side, this is a very attractive option for first timers (and it's not brown!)
My emphasis mel

I would agree that it is a good NooB OS.
I have always waited for the community KDE addition for my personal use

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Linux Mint 9 Reply with quote

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06074
Quote:
Linux Mint 9, code name "Isadora", has been released: "The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 9 'Isadora'. New features at a glance: new Software Manager - 30,000 packages, review applications straight from Software Manager, APT daemon, visual improvements; new backup tool - incremental backups, compression, integrity checks, backup and restoration of the software selection; Menu improvements - editable items, transparent menu, always start with favorites, 'Add to' shortcuts; desktop settings - changes apply immediately, additional options; better look and feel - backgrounds, welcome screen, update manager; system improvements - Windows installer, Husse quotes, USB Creator, default software selection, local repository and Gnome-PPP, APT hold/unhold/held commands...."

Release announcement
Download

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2024 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded and wrote to one of those mini DVD's.
slow as snake doo doo loading, but once up ( at monitor default WOO WOO ) runs well. So far everything works out of the box. Looks like it is going to be a good'ern
Will try to find somewhere to install it this week end if not before....or where I installed 8 GNOME

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: