USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Packaging Linux for New Users: Some Considerations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julian516

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Packaging Linux for New Users: Some Considerations Reply with quote

For some time when someone has asked me for a Linux version to audition I have suggested Linux Mint. But I do not run it routinely myself and so I thought it might be a good thing to return to it and see if my advice was still sound. And that caused me to wonder I ought to take a look at several other distributions that might be on the “newbie” list.

What makes a good distribution for a Linux explorer? While we all have our preferences we often are unclear about what qualities are essential in a distribution aimed at people new to Linux. So that is what I am going to talk about here and I look forward to your comments.

The Distribution Website (SpiffyDistro.why)

Let's start with the distribution website, which ought to be hospitable to new people. That means it explains the downloading and burning process that produces a livecd. Windows (at least through XP) includes no native ability to burn iso files so a link to a freeware Windows cd burner is going to be a good thing. A clear explanation of the difference between copying an iso file and burning one is another important thing.

We'll assume the livecd does a good job of representing the desktop, but one thing is essential; even if it means leaving some applications off the livecd that disk needs to be configured with a sufficient number of wireless drivers to accommodate at least the most common Intel and Broadcom cards. Laptops are out-selling desktops and mobile devices are wireless. For an Explorer “no wireless” may equal “no sale.”

Installation Handbook

We also need an “Installation Handbook” on the livecd desktop. Most people never have installed an operating system, so installation is a high anxiety idea that warrants a good clear explanation of what is about to happen. Because it is slightly more complex than installation to a fresh drive, the focus probably needs to be on the more common “dual boot” scenario. We do need to assure our Explorer that he or she will not lose the Windows (or for that matter, Mac) system on which they currently rely. Finally we ought to explain the choice as to how GRUB will be installed so that the choice will be understood when it is encountered during the install process. Come to think of it, we probably need to explain what GRUB is and what it does! I used to think it was just an ugly little bug in my lawn.

Time out for Rule One: NEVER ask new people to make technical choices during the install process that there is no compelling reason to think they will understand! Doing so fairly well defines “new user hostile.” (As in the button which asks for a response to an installation choice between partition-based and LVM based installation. LV whoooooo?) If the choice is not explained in the livecd Installation Handbook put it on the “Advanced” menu new people are unlikely to need.

The Installer and The Installation Process

So our Explorer takes the plunge and starts the livecd installer. If the installer does not see an Internet connection it ought to offer to start one.

Rule Two: Try very hard to avoid having our new user back out of the install process when they learn that they should have done something before starting it. Each time they back out lessens the chance that they will try again.

The default installation ought to be a dual-boot with a previously installed operating system. Second choice ought to be installation to a fresh drive. Third choice ought to be an “advanced” or “custom” button for those persons who will do (and who know how to do) more customized installations, perhaps to previously prepared locations on their drives. Finally the installer should offer a choice as to where GRUB (I'll assume GRUB) stage 1 is placed. The default ought to be the MBR, passing back to /boot/grub, but the alternative of placing GRUB in the root partition of the new installation ought to be offered. (And explained of course in the Installation Handbook)

Rule Three: Never start any aspect of the installation without a summary page that clearly lines out what the installer is about to do if the “Go” button is pressed.

There needs to be an easy capacity for editing choices made earlier (Oops, I've got the wrong time zone!), or for backing up, perhaps to the Partition routine. Allowing users to do this goes a long way to reducing anxiety. There is nothing quite like a partitioner that spins up with a “Don't Bother Me Now!” notice immediately upon clicking on “next”. Oh, you didn't mean that? Caught you!

Ah well, so gears turn, drives spin and lights – light up of course.

First thing you know there we are at our NewUserDistro desktop! And right there it has a full User Manual right on the Desktop, either loaded from the livecd or downloaded automatically as part of the installation. Models for same? Take a close look at Simply Mepis or sidux, both of which have first-rate manuals. These take a lot of time to produce and we ought to applaud the people who make the effort! Sorry Team, but if you do not have one you are not done yet.

And let's immediately walk through whatever configuration steps might remain including any work that must be done with users and passwords.

OK, RULE 4 LISTEN UP RIGHT HERE (or “raht cheeer” as we say locally)!

You WILL NOT default your distribution to a no-password required “convenience.” you just will NOT do that! If you do it will be a very cold day before I hand your livecd to anybody.

Corollary for your further entertainment: Please do insist upon a separate password for the Root user. No “sudo” business, thank you. At least make the password thieves work a bit.

You carry critically important corporate files on an unsecured laptop? Egad …........ I think Homeland Security has a special line for you. It's that long one over there.

Does a Linux distro optimized for New Users have to load multi-media codecs automatically as part of the installation process? No, it need not and in the United States it cannot if it is to comply with relevant law regarding copyrighted intellectual property. But people do want to watch movies, play games, listen to music, etc. So a “new user friendly” distribution is going to explain clearly in the User Manual how to do this and perhaps take new users directly out to Fluendo or ???? to facilitate the installation process. Most people have Real Lives (really!) and they do not want to spend a weekend on The Great Hunt. So let's make this easy?

Similarly a our NewUserDistro does not have to load multitudinous language packs by default, but it certainly should make provision for various languages during the installation process. Linux is global and easy access to a variety of languages and keyboards is essential. Fortunately most distributions do this.

And let's do make it easy for our New User to get to the SpiffyDistro Forum and we'll hope it has a “New User” section designed to help people get started. Bonus points in this category if it does.

Finally Rule 5: Test your livecd-installation process with a group of potential new users and get the bugs out! Suffice it to say I have encountered a number of “How Did They Do That?” candidates as I have examined various distributions, several of which were otherwise really quite good. Please do fix these, we want you to succeed and grow!!

I probably have forgotten some essential thing or two, but this will start the conversation? Did I miss something? Am I just wrong-headed? Love to hear from you!

Once we have our criteria straight I might offer my own assessment of “Best Distros for New People.” But we first need to say what we think makes a good distribution. Your view?

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2024 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule 4 will lose you a TON of users UNLESS you CLEARLY tell them how to set that up. They've been spoon fed default installs that didn't require passwords for so long, some people will install, get tired of it, and will go back to their "I don't need to remember my password" Windows.

As far as sudo, I can deal with having sudo, but I can see why people don't want to have an extra password to remember. In todays society, everything has passwords, forcing yet another password (so now you have multiple passwords on a single box, just to do something simple like install patches) is just asking for yet another thing that they can forget, and have them abandon it because it's too hard. Newb friendly distro's should be just that, newb friendly, with the ABILITY to be hardened when the user wants to go the next step. You make it too complex, and newbs will use it for a day or 2 and simply say "it's too much trouble".

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2024 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ran a computer club, as well as the electronics shop I ran, and tested distros with the main thrust of getting people into Linux. A hard sell when we first started. As much a I have issues with the bumtu's on several points, he knew what he was doing, and that was the beginning of a new wave of people who tried Linux. His advertising and free disks did not hurt, but the ease of password set up was the key. So I have to agree with tlmiller on this one about passwords. As much as I detest the sudo thing personally, it works for NooBs.

I just did a couple of test installs, ( which is basically what I do ) and more and more distros that would like to appeal to NooBs offer an easy password route on install. One might say a sad state of affairs security wise, but good news for NooBs. Some of have the option one way, some the other, but allow a one password set up with password free auto log on in some cases. ( Maybe TOO far in that direction )

I don't do laptops, ( could not pay me enough to look at that little screen and deal with all that silly crap..don't do them, and stopped working on them some time back. at the shop.....other than family nmembers ~ sigh ) and my associate did not do PC's normally, so we did not always agree about whether a distro was ready. Good point, and sad point, as there are TOO many different wireless solutions out there.

I don't know of any otherwise good NooB distro that is 100% with this one.
Competition in the market place will do that. And it is probably going to get worse before it gets better. Good point that needs to be driven home with mfr's and Distros. One thing that held back Linux adoption in the modem world was the "winmodem", and needing a solution for Linux. Let us keep on the mfr's as a community not to let the wireless thing hurt Linux. Knew I hated laptops for a reason <G><

At this point in time, Linux has a better record of out of the box wired and wireless drivers available then any windows install I have seen, but every wireless and wired device comes with a set of windows drivers for windows current operating systems. People are used to having to add drivers for wired or wireless devices if they ever did an install, but many now entering the Linux World have never had to do that as they were OEM folks. Bless their hearts, they made me a living for a long time doing the stuff we now want them to do on their own with Linux.

When we see more shops with signs, we install Linux for you, we will know Linux has arrived. Don't expect that any time soon, as it is biting the hand that feeds the shop...cleaning up MS messes.

As a side note, I have done only two windows only installs on builds that went out the door in the last couple of years. The rest were multiboots,, or Linux only. Those two were both for extended family members or friends~ sigh

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2024 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
As much as I detest the sudo thing personally, it works for NooBs.

You hate sudo, or just the fact that Ubuntu gives users root access with just their own password?

I agree it's not suitable for a multi-user / server environment - but for a home PC I think it's ideal. If not wanting to "su" and then have to run a 2nd command to execute a single command, or having to manually setup the sudoers file makes me a noob, then ok fine Smile

People always make a big fuss about how not allowing the "rest of the system" (outside the user space) to get comprised make is much more secure. But IMO on a personal users machine the only thing important is the data in their home directory anyways...if that's compromised then what do you have left? An OS that you can reinstall in 30 mins anyways - big deal.

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VHockey86
Quote:
You hate sudo, or just the fact that Ubuntu gives users root access with just their own password?

Probably habit as much as anything, but the root password being scared is hard to get over after years. That said, hate is probably too strong a word.
I have up to 5 persons who might use a couple boxes here. Windows is set up with limited users password protected for each, which they hate. And a strong admin password. Linux with a password protected user / home for each. And a strong root password. Have one cop of XP over on an old AMD there that has no user password at all for a limited user account that my eldest set up, but with a strong admin password.. It has survived for 3 or 4 years that way.

My test box is never touched by anyone else. Rules there are different. But strong admin or root passwords are the rule everywhere out of habit as much as anything. I have installs that are 4 or 5 years old never reinstalled. A couple of them are getting a little long in tooth.

So I suspect ones view would be flavored by the situation

julian516

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I did not expect Rule 4 to raise the dust. And timiller makes some good points indeed.

Here's my thought: The key to Linux malware defense (and hence avoidance of the AV Tax and all the operational nonsense that goes with it.) is to make it difficult for Bad Guys to get into the operating system and modify it. So if we are going to operate open systems back into the clutches of Norton et al we go. I surely don't want to go there! And I do not want new Linux people to be there. So I would like to see a Root Password as the default installation. t seems to me that installations that provide it set up easily, but perhaps I underestimate the problem?

Re laptops the password problem is even more severe given the likelihood that a laptop used for professional purposes will carry essential data and they are so prone to theft. We have all read those stories about how a gazillion credit card identities or classified documents got loose because somebody had them on an open laptop. Just not a good thing.

I run Ubuntu and I get along with sudo, but I do think the more secure su + root password is a notch better. Login as root? If a person routinely does this it is just not good. Better to take the option away, I think.

Now on a single user desktop at home (or a laptop that stays home) we might run an open system, so we make that an option. But the user has to self-consciously choose it with some awareness of the potential dangers. (How about a red field, leering pirate, deep dismal Hollywood music??)

melloe is right about one thing -- give me this big 24 inch monitor every time!! Love this thing, I have to admit. No netbooks here!

Question: Everybody's OK with the idea that we do not load USA-copyright protected codecs by default as a few distros do?

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The codecs I'm fine with, but distro's should tell you easily how to get them in case they're legal where you live (or you just don't care that the government is full of morons that make it illegal to watch something you own).

For corporate laptops, yes, there should not be sudo access. But then, corporate laptops aren't going to run noob distro's unless the company is a fly by night company full of complete imbeciles. No company gives their users root access that has 1/2 a brain cell. So sudo shouldn't be an issue in corporate sector as it shouldn't be used. AT ALL, in that space. For noob users, sudo is a great way to allow them to do everything with only remembering their own local password, and nothing else. Which like VHockey said, on home systems, ECSPECIALLY single user home systems, the most important data is already in /home, so once it's compromised, who cares about the rest of the system?

julian516

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2024 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first observation re codecs seems to me reasonable. Linux distributions are international and so your suggestion is a fair compromise. As for the "stupid law" rationale, well, we all have our list of stupid laws! In this case I quite agree with you, but the stupid law is what the stupid law is. So the viable compromise is as you explain it.

As to passwords: I think we are talking here about what the default choice is as the system is installed. I have no quarrel at all with VHockey if he elects to run that way. And on a single-user-at-home system it can make sense. So being Masters of Our Own Fates he & we ought to be able to elect to do that.

My concern is the default posture. I would prefer a new user at least learn the Root user concept and the logic for it before they overturn it. There are circumstances where doing so really is not a good idea.

As for corporations (or government agencies) not being silly enough ---- hmmmmm ... rather begs a key question I suspect!

Laughing

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2024 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful length, looks like a good amount of work has been put into it.... I'll have to read it later tonight.... came here to do something else, and I tend to forget little things when I jump on such a read as this!

BRB.

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate sudo, makes computers more insecure by having the same password do root jobs.
Root should have it's own password. I've always thought of sudo=lazy lol..... I'm sure sudo has it's good points, like limiting users to just certain features that root might have, but giving full root access (which is what 90% of people do) with sudo, defeats it's purpose i think. sudo has it's place, but using it because a newbie is to lazy to learn to do it the right way is in no way helping them imho.

In other words, if your giving full root access to the box with sudo, your not using sudo for what it was intended. You might as well make the root password the same as yours.

As for "who cares for the rest of the system" ..... uh, I do.
Hackers just LOVE getting root on an unsecure linux box, allows just boatloads of fun, send spam by the thousands, install your own ftp/web/email servers blah blah blah...the list goes on and on. More importantly YOU should care, a good hacker isn't going to let you know you've been hacked, and well.....gee thanks for putting that tax return pdf in your docs directory ... I've been waiting for that Razz

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2024 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I think you did a great job to get this whole thing started. When you set up your criteria, I think there were probably a few implicit assumptions that, if made explicit, would clarify when to take a particular approach.

I think, from my perspective, that we are somewhere in betweeen this kind of thinking: for new users, shall we simply make the thing so ridiculously easy that just about anyone can install it (even if they do not understand it), should we press for understanding, risking alienating those people from using the software, or should we strike a balance somewhere in between? I think that Ubuntu and Mint get about as close as you can get with the current level of development in systems to make them as easy as possible. In some ways, Ubuntu may be easier than Mint, though others would argue the other way. I say that because Mint provides more choices, and for beginners, choices can lead to confusion.

SimplyMEPIS is pretty simple in most ways, but on the topic of passwords, MEPIS does require the use of root passwords, so for some, that may be an issue. I personally find that to be a matter of education, and MEPIS does really well with the educational piece with a great Wiki site and excellent support provided by community members, so at least for me, I like that kind of balance. Perhaps a scared beginner would shy away from it; do we really want such types to be running that kind of system? For such users, if we REALLY want to do it at all, perhaps something very Windows-like is appropriate. I tend to ask "Why bother?" in that case.

On the other hand, the Android smartphones and the emergence of ChromeOS, and a few of the others that are trying to JUMP ahead of ChromeOS are stretching the interfaces we use, and in my opinion, that is the direction that new computing needs to take. A completely new user interface form factor is at least a decade overdue from my perspective, but the iPhone, iPod craze, and now the Smart Phone craze seems to be pushing us in that direction, and maybe the next generation of that stuff will give us something to really think about.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2024 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When catering to new users who haven't ever used linux before, I think it should take the approach exactly like Ubuntu & Windows takes. Make it easy. You can make it secure later, but for now, make it easy. Sudo should, IMO, be the default on newb distros. There shouldn't be a billion choices, give them 1 or 2 default choices, and when they start learning, they have the option of adding more and customizing. But a newb distro should be catered to someone who knows nothing. Those who argue for more are looking at what THEY want in a system. We're not newbs anymore. No, I don't use a system configured like that either. But for newbs, I very well think it should be. One of the reasons Windows has rebuked every approach from Linux at making headway in the desktop is because people want non-newb friendly defaults. Guess what, newbs want easy, once they learn, then they want customizable, but at first, they only care about easy. You make them jump through hoops and learn everything just to do ANYTHING, they're going back to paying for a Windows license, and all that does, is hurts the Linux community when they tell their friends "Yeah, I tried that linux stuff, but it makes you set like 500 passwords just to do something simple like install software"

Yes, it hurts security, but a newb is going to hurt the security of his system regardless of if you make it easy or hard. At least if you make it easy he might stick with it long enough to learn better practices.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2024 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, Tim. In that regard, whether we personally like Ubuntu or not, we should give it many points for helping people get a solid start with Linux, and the distro ratings certainly indicate that it has done that, and Dell seemed to think so, too, offering it as its first desktop pre-installed Linux system.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2024 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Packaging Linux for New Users: Some Considerations Reply with quote

julian516 wrote:
Let's start with the distribution website, which ought to be hospitable to new people. That means it explains the downloading and burning process that produces a livecd. Windows (at least through XP) includes no native ability to burn iso files so a link to a freeware Windows cd burner is going to be a good thing. A clear explanation of the difference between copying an iso file and burning one is another important thing.
STOP for a minute.

Explain MD5sums, offer a link to a Window executable. They MUST understand that the MD5sum for the ISO downloaded onto the newbies computer MUST exactly match the MD5sum posted on the website of the original distribution (do not refer to the MD5sum from the download link - I've been burned when the MD5sum posted on the download site did NOT match the MD5sum from the distributions official server).

Next, burn reliably: burn slowly.... do not burn 48x media at 48x, burn at 24x or slower - fatter and squarer pits on the disc make for more reliable (less ECC) data transfers later in the life of the disc. If this suggestion is followed, even the worst media frequently become noticeably more reliable (because most people insist on using 48X media at 48x, which is where BOTH the burner gets less accurate AND the media becomes a mess).

Quote:
Laptops are out-selling desktops and mobile devices are wireless. For an Explorer “no wireless” may equal “no sale.”
Change "Explorer" (capitals) to something non Windows, like 'Linux neophyte'. And thank you for saying the "B" word (Broadcom). Broadcom makes some very popular chips, so I'd hope that Broadcom hears our cries for driver information; until then, there's fwcutter.

I'd also mention that the distro MUST get fwcutter working on both the live CD and in the installed system (Ubuntu 9.10 - 32 bit Desktop, 64 bit Desktop, Netbook Remix AND Kubuntu 32 bit) all fail wireless configuration when the distro is installed but all of them work fine when run as live (I have a Broadcom based card, first hand experience).

While I'm railing against Ubuntu, lets also mention that the REST of the Linux world does 2 important things differently than is being done, right now, by Ubuntu:
- The rest of the Linux world calls the results from an execution of md5sum as a 'checksum'. Ubuntu was the only time I ever heard of 'MD5 hashes'. Fortunately, I had a clue that a hash was usually an output of some effort, but this is after 10 years of using Linux. 95% of the Linux forums I've been to refer to an md5sum output as a checksum - hash is for breakfast, along side (or beneath) eggs.
- 95% of the other Linux distros make damn sure that the md5sum is visible on the very same screen as the link where the user downloads the ISO file - but NOT Ubuntu, the md5sum is 2 webpages away, and there is no mention of md5sum on the download page, no mention of needing to calculate any checksum on the download page, and md5sum is not mentioned along the way when you start at http://www.ubuntu.com and click your way towards downloading. Great way to setup the newbie for major failure, Canonical. Yeah, I know, it is not YOUR responsibility to tell the newbie how to do it.

Quote:
Installation Handbook

We also need an “Installation Handbook” on the livecd desktop. Most people never have installed an operating system, so installation is a high anxiety idea that warrants a good clear explanation of what is about to happen.
Yikes. The newbie needs to be able to read it during the process of installing, no way they can read through the manual 100% and recall 100% of the details hours later. No, getting printing setup correctly in the live session and expecting the newbie to print a 100 page document for ONE installation is silly. I personally prefer the Red Hat/Fedora install method: left side of the screen is deeply detailed help. Point being, the help is real time and even contextual.

Quote:
Rule One: NEVER ask new people to make technical choices during the install process that there is no compelling reason to think they will understand! Doing so fairly well defines “new user hostile.”
Well, again, if the installation process already has a decent contextual help system, the technical choices can be made easier at the moment of decision. Yeah, explain MAJOR items ahead of time (RAID, LVM, whatever), but remember that if someone could benefit from highly technical stuff like RAID 5 or NAS, this is probably not their first exposure to the subject, they might be intelligent (RAID 5 is not something I'd ever use, but my hardware has been able for years). Sometimes it is sufficient to include one sentence at the critical decision points, something like "If this term is meaningless to you, the default selection will install as blah blah; otherwise cancel this installation if you need to research the issue". Sometimes a decision to postpone is a better decision - Linux expects a more skilled administrator, you know.

Quote:
Rule Two: Try very hard to avoid having our new user back out of the install process when they learn that they should have done something before starting it. Each time they back out lessens the chance that they will try again.
Yes and no, but good point. Remember when Mandrake had a 'save selection list' option??

Quote:
Rule Three: Never start any aspect of the installation without a summary page that clearly lines out what the installer is about to do if the “Go” button is pressed.
Good.

Quote:
(Oops, I've got the wrong time zone!),
With a decent explanation of how Linux likes the hardware clock to be set to UTC, but Windows Likes the hardware clock set to local time.... and local time is more logical to the newbie. Or better still, just tell the Linux installer to leave the hardware clock alone at local time and simply calculate the Linux setting from a user selected time zone input.... from then on, all Linux clock settings are made by adding or subtracting the time zone from the hardware clock to get the UTC value, pushing that into the hardware clock, then, at shutdown (hopefully nothing crashes) reset the hardware clock to local time. Ubuntu once again: totally trashed my hardware clock during multiple installations. This isn't rocket science, people, one way works as we expect, dozens of wrong ideas do not work with our perceptions. This is your user speaking, over and out.

Quote:
or for backing up, perhaps to the Partition routine. Allowing users to do this goes a long way to reducing anxiety. There is nothing quite like a partitioner that spins up with a “Don't Bother Me Now!” notice immediately upon clicking on “next”. Oh, you didn't mean that? Caught you!
There was one distro.... what was it.... it took all your configurations selections, saved them, then at the end of the selection process, it gave you 2 ominous warnings that clicking next will start the process of making changes that cannot be stopped. That was pretty frustrating, too, because I still was not 100% certain of decisions made along the way.

Quote:
And right there it has a full User Manual right on the Desktop, either loaded from the livecd or downloaded automatically as part of the installation.
Ok, but as much as I'd like to believe that the installation got networking set correctly, it often doesn't. Can't expect a broken internet link to get the document onto the desktop, right?

Quote:
OK, RULE 4 LISTEN UP RIGHT HERE (or “raht cheeer” as we say locally)!

You WILL NOT default your distribution to a no-password required “convenience.” you just will NOT do that! If you do it will be a very cold day before I hand your livecd to anybody.
Annnnnd what does a user from the Windows camp ACTUALLY expect??

Quote:
Corollary for your further entertainment: Please do insist upon a separate password for the Root user. No “sudo” business, thank you. At least make the password thieves work a bit.
As much as it is annoying, this sudo method ENSURES that the newbie Linux user is constantly reminded that ROOT is a special user, not a COMMON user.

I'd prefer to keep sudo indefinitely, but when the time comes for the user to graduate from Linux kindergarten to Linux 1st grade, allow them to do the simplest of changes to gain traditional Linux user controls. I know the first steps to defeating sudo, but I've heard that there are more steps (more than the 2 I know) in converting from sudo. I just don't know what the remaining steps are, and maybe the research should remain as a rite of passage.

Quote:
Most people have Real Lives (really!) and they do not want to spend a weekend on The Great Hunt. So let's make this easy?
Soooo many times I've been in a "Go Google it!" battle.... just because the other person in a discussion knows where the best/most accurate data resides doesn't mean that Google only presents THAT data.

And don't get me started on how the binary version I install in my system (from the live CD) is the same numerical version as is discussed on the internet.... well, same but subtract 2 major versions which makes the syntax change in a major way. Or the time when the discussion uses the same version of the binary I have but the discussion is for a major kernel ago and no longer applies.

The problem is, the web data can change during the time that a distro freezes the packages. IMO, there has never been a trustworthy way to roll back a wiki to some earlier version. I say the distro creator needs to be held accountable for providing exact documentation for the exact version of every binary provided. Sadly, that would close many distros (is that really a bad thing?) and release cycles would stretch a bit. Some distros are better than others at documentation, but nobody shows a clearly superior documentation efficacy.

Quote:
Similarly a our NewUserDistro does not have to load multitudinous language packs by default, but it certainly should make provision for various languages during the installation process.
XOrg, KDE, etc.

Quote:
Rule 5: Test your livecd-installation process with a group of potential new users and get the bugs out!
Ayuh. Efficacy would have new stuff tested by the target audience, not experts, ayuh.

You have my views, make what you will of it, and what is this all about?

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2024 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rule 5: Test your livecd-installation process with a group of potential new users and get the bugs out!
Oh yeah... one more good point for your idea about testing: I had one distro that was never tested for full installation. The lead developer released it without testing the full installation process. It formatted a second hard disk when the selection was made to NOT format it.
Tell the test audience that they might possibly lose everything. Yeah. That will fly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: