USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Sabayon Linux 5.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2024 2:48 am    Post subject: Sabayon Linux 5.2 Reply with quote

NEW • Distribution Release: Sabayon Linux 5.2
Sabayon Linux Fabio Erculiani has announced the release of Sabayon Linux 5.2, a Gentoo-based desktop Linux distribution with GNOME/KDE and with a custom (binary) package manager: "The best, refined blend of GNU/Linux, coming with bleeding edge edges, is eventually here. Say hello to Sabayon Five-point-Twoh, available in both GNOME and KDE editions. Dedicated to those who like cutting-edge stability, out-of-the-box experience, outstanding desktop performance, clean and beauty. You will find outstanding amount of new applications and features, like XBMC 9.11, KDE 4.4.1, GNOME 2.28. Features: based on new GCC 4.4.1 and glibc 2.10; shipped with desktop-optimized Linux kernel 2.6.33; installable in 10 minutes; faster boot time and lightweight default system...." Read the rest of the release announcement for additional details. http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic.html?f=60&t=20159
Download the GNOME (G) or KDE (K) download on page above,

at http://www.sabayonlinux.org/mod/mirrors/
or at www.distrowatch.com
Sabayon_Linux_5.2_x86_G.iso (1,680MB, MD5, torrent), Sabayon_Linux_5.2_x86_K.iso (1,944MB, MD5, torrent), Sabayon_Linux_5.2_amd64_G.iso (1,791MB, MD5, torrent), Sabayon_Linux_5.2_amd64_K.iso (2,038MB, MD5, torrent).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2024 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it, and it is a humdinger, but give it a BIG partition (s)

jester

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, I thought I'd try building a "desktop-optimized Linux kernel 2.6.33" by building gentoos-sources-2.6.33 against the Sabayon .config

in a word, atrocious ... lots of lag and stutter on my Core i7-920 6G RAM on a 10k rpm Velociraptor (ext4); my own handrolled 2.6.32 is fine

I wonder if Sabayon is using different sources/patches for their kernel?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't exactly a speed demon when it first came up on what is not exactly a cutting edge "older" AMD dual, but several packages later, it was running well. It does have 4 gigs of RAM, and the cache is fairly large, but It don't seem to use all that much more in normal use more than any other full KDE version I have on the box or have had in recent time.

The boot time depends mainly on how many, externals, eSATA external,docking station, and much more, of the peripherals are on or connected, but for some reasons ( specific device wise ) I have yet to discover, can be slower or faster than some of the other full KDE distros I can have on the box This is the latest one designated the test box, so there are several HD that I have set up to go in that SATA hot swap. Sabayon just happens now to be the second ( non default ) Linux in the HD that is normally in the Hot swap bay with windows unless specifically testing some other. What I call HD1 for mell0. I erroneously listed Sabayon as on HD 2 when I made the list below, but was on 1 with XP and Kubuntu.

THe OS on HD1 change at a slower rate then other OS on that box and generally are just updated over time. Sabayon has been a resident in this HD since maybe 4 if I remember right, and logs and cache were humongous. I am here with Zues with SuSE testing at the moment.

More than you wanted to know <G><

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2024 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jester wrote:
interesting, I thought I'd try building a "desktop-optimized Linux kernel 2.6.33" by building gentoos-sources-2.6.33 against the Sabayon .config

in a word, atrocious ... lots of lag and stutter on my Core i7-920 6G RAM on a 10k rpm Velociraptor (ext4); my own handrolled 2.6.32 is fine

I wonder if Sabayon is using different sources/patches for their kernel?

That's interesting, too, because at one time I gave Sabayon a try, hoping to have a useful Gentoo derivative. I found it sluggish, so I stopped using it and I don't think I've tried it more than a few times. In a similar way, I probably built Gentoo three or four times. I know it's worked really well for you, but early impressions can also be lasting ones, and for me, my early impressions of both Gentoo and Sabayon have left me simply concluding that neither are right FOR ME. Sabayon seems to have a decent following, and Gentoo probably has one of the most loyal followings of all out there. People who truly use source code and actually modify or tailor it are perfect use cases for these two distributions. I've messed with source code before, and when I was doing so, I'd be much more inclined to modify kernels or build applications directly from source.

Prior to using GNU/Linux software, I used GNU UNIX software, and in those days, I would grab tar.gz files. The earliest ones did not even have configure scripts; I would have to modify the Makefile for the environment I was using, then run Make, hope I had it right, and if I finally got it right, do a make then a make install. I built GNU Emacs back in the Version 18.55 days more than anything else.

I also built a fair number of Linux kernels after that, mostly around the 2.4.12 era. But as you can see from the numbers, that was years ago. For me now, something that is fast and flexible, allows me to build or rebuild from source, but does not require me to do so works best for me. Gentoo or Sabayon could actually qualify in that sense, but given my success with other things, it's been mostly Debian for me. Arch has worked very quickly, but I've experienced a few quirks with it, ultimately enough that I went elsewhere. I had Arch on my Dell Latitude D600 a few years ago and it was the fastest thing on it, but then KDE started locking up for unexplained reasons. I could go to a virtual terminal console and come back and usually that would solve the issue, but I could run KDE with Debian, especially sidux, without any of those shenanigans, so I eventually replaced Arch reluctantly with sidux, which I had elsewhere.

So just as the stuff I use doesn't fit in at all for some people, same is true for me. I am REALLY grateful that we have so many varieties and flavors to choose from. One of them is bound to fit the interests of most anyone looking for an alternative.

jester

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been having an experimental Sunday (weather's dropped back to an unseasonal and un-Spring-like 6 celsius), so I burned the amd64 of Sabayon5.2 to DVD and gave it a go as a live disc.

Sadly I have to say that although I didn't get the issues I faced when I just tried the kernel .config against my Funtoo, it wasn't really up-to-scratch for me. I do remember that at one stage I actually installed a version of Sabayon and found it OK, but not exciting. Today, I was not moved to make space for it - luckily it was a DVD-RW so I get it recycle ... maybe I should try the ISO TFTP server I recommended to melloe...

@masinick: I still like Gentoo/Funtoo, though I find Arch to be easier with the (usually) limited time I have (28 days out of the country so far this year) and I'm starting to appreciate low maintenance more and more - I may just sprout a pipe and slippers and plump for Ubuntu if my experiences with 10.04-beta today are anything to go by Wink

As far as the KDE lock-ups on Arch, I get a sense that whenever KDE/Gnome do a major version bump, the distros with fewer resources tend to be the ones with the roughest transition - Gnome has had some issues with the changes they made to GDM which has caused issues left right and centre. That said, I tried KDE4.x on Fedora11(?), Ubuntu 9.x and FreeBSD-7.x and there were all kinds of grief. The KDE4 on FC12 I have now is not bad, still a couple of quirks and I don't like how FC handles nvidia drivers - I'll recompile nvidia-drivers from source against a new kernel version on Gentoo any day of the week over the hoops FC makes you jump through removing nouveau etc...

I will give the Sabayon 5.2 live DVD that, the nvidia set up and resolution autoconfig was flawless, but that's about the most positive comment I can make unfortunately.

Moving on.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: