USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Ubuntu-10.04 (for alpha, beta, RC and final)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What are your first impressions of 10.04?
I love it!
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
It's an improvement over 9.xx
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
It's the same as before
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It's somewhat unstable for me
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
This is not useable yet
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm holding off until the final release
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
I'm following developments but won't install
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Never tried an Ubuntu and still won't
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

jester

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject: Ubuntu-10.04 (for alpha, beta, RC and final) Reply with quote

Rather than have a multitude of threads about Ubuntu-10.04, I'm suggesting that those of us testing or interested in discussing this latest release of Ubuntu, channel all comments in one thread. The upside of this is that for someone new to linux they won't have to trawl around the boards reading 101 threads.

So I posted earlier today my livecd experiences, and after that went for the full install of 10.04-beta-1-amd64.

The UTC issue is gone in the install version. It took 20 minutes to install with some manual intervention on the partitioning. Took me 5 minutes to get nvidia, codecs, flash fixed. Update manager pulled in 370 updates including a bump from 2.6.32-r16 to 2.6.32-r17. The boot time is pretty impressive. As I type I'm listening to music from my ancient HFS+ formatted iPod - sound seems better than on my Arch/Funtoo/FreeBSD ... that will need investigation.

Desktop is pretty responsive, up there with my Arch64 or Funtoo64 installs, and as I noted in the other post, I like what they've done with the Gnome theme. Fonts are nice, menus simple, feels very clean - I think the UI team did a great job with this. So far very stable and no crashes.

I've never been a big fan of Ubuntu for personal use; I am an admirer for what they have done to make linux more accessible to more people. I've always hated that sudo thing whenever I tried it previously, today it struck me how similar it is to the access rights on OSX, and actually maybe overall it has something of an OSX feel to it ...

I'm going to try using it as stock as possible for a while and report back here as the path to release progresses. I've never really stuck with a Ubuntu install for more than a couple of days, so despite being really comfortable with Arch and Funtoo and all the tinkering they involve, this will be a true learning journey - I'm going to try to become as comfortable in Ubuntu as I am in my distros of choice.

If you've been tracking this since alpha, or are on beta for standard or any of the derivatives, your input is welcome.

EDIT: added a poll for fun Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jester

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am    Post subject: Quick way to get "extras" working Reply with quote

Just found this tip in the Lucid Lynx Testing & Discussion Forum over at the Ubuntu boards

Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

It sets up java and flash plugins, adds extra fonts and codecs and did it in about 2 minutes - very cool, I like

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't installed 10.04 yet, but since I use 9.10 on a couple laptops, I will upgrade to 10.04 once it's released.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2024 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the Beta test release late in the week and I found it to work fine. I did still encounter the UTC related time issue, but I also know how to manually fix it; I did not see a standard provision to go with local time rather than UTC though. Glad to hear that will be working properly as the version gets released. I expect the final release to be solid. Best use of this software, in my mind, is for people who just want a usable system, don't care if it stays the latest and greatest, but instead just stays usable.

Assuming this works out well, chances are good that I will keep an instance installed.

jester

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@masinick: when I ran the livecd I had the UTC issue, when I installed it automatically picked Tokyo GMT+9 for me, all I did was confirm and then on first boot I had correct time - here's hoping that's a permanent fix right through the Beta to Final development cycle.

About Gnome dialogue box wrote:
Version: 2.29.92

I think they're doing pretty well with the latest and greatest, but otherwise, I'd agree, it does feel remarkably solid for a Beta release.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am and have been doing Kubuntu testing..looking good. Only one small hiccough on one box early. Did Ubuntu studio, but have not been on it much.

As I do not normally do Ubuntu, I did not make a poll entry, but Kubuntu is looking good so far.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2024 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jester wrote:
@masinick: when I ran the livecd I had the UTC issue, when I installed it automatically picked Tokyo GMT+9 for me, all I did was confirm and then on first boot I had correct time - here's hoping that's a permanent fix right through the Beta to Final development cycle.

About Gnome dialogue box wrote:
Version: 2.29.92

I think they're doing pretty well with the latest and greatest, but otherwise, I'd agree, it does feel remarkably solid for a Beta release.

Regarding the time and the time zone, Ubuntu can set the correct time. The issue is how it STORES the time. It sets the internal clock to base itself on the UTC internal clock rather than whatever the local time value happens to be. This translates into the environment variable UTC=yes being set in the default RC resource file - and that is the source of the problem, and the other problem is that there is no way to change it except for manually editing the file. Debian and others can change this setting without having to resort to manually editing UTC=yes or UTC=no, and that is my issue.

jester

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2024 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like lucid beta testers get first look at Gnome-2.30.0 - updates this morning pulled in 98 2.30-related packages.

I'm pretty sure that's not the whole lot so I'm going to update tonight after work.

Note that gnome.org still has 2.28 as it's latest release on the top page...

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might make Ubuntu worth looking into.

jester

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2024 6:41 am    Post subject: Beta 2 Freeze now in effect Reply with quote

Unless this was an April Fool's Joke Question ... here's an announcement about the Beta 2 status:
Steve Langasek, Ubuntu Release Team wrote:
Hello Ubuntu developers,

Two weeks on from 10.04 Beta 1, we are now also 1 week out from 10.04 Beta 2, scheduled for April 8 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule) - which means it's time for another beta freeze to start.

Looking on the Lucid Release Schedule you can see that they are gunning for an April 29th Release of Final :

Dec 03: Alpha 1

Jan 14: Alpha 2

Feb 25: Alpha 3

Mar 18: Beta 1

Apr 08: Beta 2

Apr 22: Release Candidate

Apr 29: Final Release

It looks like they're on track and I've seen no showstoppers to suggest otherwise.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2024 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like an authentic schedule to me, and I agree, things look on track. I've been using the Kubuntu variation, but its the core stuff that interests me anyway, along with how well they are tracking KDE releases. So far on that end, looking good.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2024 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tired of experimental software. When the crowd says all is good, then I'll bite. Until then, no thanks.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded my 2 Kubuntu laptops to lucid last night. Overall, much nicer OS, and much more up to date. So far I'm happy other than I've lost my boot splash.

jester

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates have all but dried up, I suspect due to the freeze ahead of tomorrow's Beta 2 release.

An interesting source of information is the blog OMG! Ubuntu

jester

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2024 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have heard about Ubuntu's deal with Yahoo to make Yahoo the default start page in Firefox,

example here

Well it seems the Desktop Team at Ubuntu listen to their community:

Rick Spencer, Ubuntu Desktop Team wrote:
Up until Ubuntu 9.10 these defaults have always
been Firefox and Google. Earlier in the 10.04 cycle I announced that we
would be changing the default search provider to Yahoo!, and we
implemented that change for several milestones.

However, for the final release, we will use Google as the default
provider. I have asked the Ubuntu Desktop team to change the default
back to Google as soon as reasonably possible, but certainly by final
freeze on April 15th.

I guess there will be some financial ramifications for Canonical; personally I've been using Chromium-beta on 10.04 Beta1

EDIT
No question about the consequences, the quote below shows that:
Rick Spencer wrote:
Change #2 is changing the default search provider in Firefox to Yahoo!
Note that this won't in any way effect the ability of a user to choose
and use the search provider of their choice. It's literally 2 easily
discoverable clicks to change this setting, a simple matter of switching
to that search provider in the chrome by clicking on the icon and
choosing the desired provider. Note also that Yahoo! does not share any
personally identifiable or usage information.

Why?
I am pursuing this change because Canonical has negotiated a revenue
sharing deal with Yahoo! and this revenue will help Canonical to provide
developers and resources to continue the open development of Ubuntu and
the Ubuntu Platform.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: