USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

The state of video/graphics hardware/firmware for 2024??

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julian516

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: The state of video/graphics hardware/firmware for 2024?? Reply with quote

I was just browsing the Phoronix site and came upon their posting of an earlier Nvidia announcement that Nvidia would stop further development of open source drivers for Linux and simply advise users to either use an open VESA driver or install Nvidia's own proprietary driver. (assuming their support of that continues)

Now as I understand it there really are only three players in the video card/firmware game for Linux; Intel, Nvidia and ATI. And there seem to be issues and challenges with all three. (I say three players because I hear nothing about companies such as Matrox in the Linux world)

Question: If you were going to build a mainstream surf 'n mail machine for Linux, which video hardware/driver combination would you use? I would probably settle for integrated Intel, but would you?

And if you were building for movies and/or games, or image editing/manipulation? I'm not at all sure what my choice would be.

How do you see the state of things in this area as we approach the second half of 2024?

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't need actual 3d performance, Intel is just fine. I use it on almost all of my laptops, without issues. Of course, if you're building an AMD box, you don't really have that option. In that case, I'd go for Nvidia every time. I've never had anything but issues with AMD/ATI's sorry drivers in Linux. At least the proprietary Nvidia drivers function, that's more than I've ever been able to get out of the open source or proprietary ATI drivers.

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2024 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVIDIA graphics support for Linux isn't going anywhere. Their new architecture is making an even greater push in scientific computing and HPC which is dominated heavily by linux. I've never used anything but the proprietary driver - didn't even release there were duplicate efforts for open source drivers still going on.

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
jester

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since FC12 and now in Ubuntu-10.04-Beta1, the nouveau driver for nvidia chipsets is being shipped as default.

In FC12 and above you manually have to deinstall; in Ubuntu-10.04 you have to blacklist it to ensure that the proprietary nvidia blob works.

Personally, I think they should leave it to the individual to decide - it's a royal PITA to undo the nouveau stuff if you don't deem it up to snuff (like me).

At least Arch and Gentoo still give me that choice.

And I do find it strange that Nvidia would bail out at this stage - they've just (well recently) released a *BSD 64-bit driver after a long debate over which side the code-base needed to change - FWIW, I'm finding it a nice addition to FreeBSD having been limited to x86 for nvidia support or using the nv driver for amd64 until now.

EDIT: looked up the phoronix article and no need to panic:

phoronix wrote:
NVIDIA will continue supporting their high-performance, feature-rich proprietary Unix driver on Linux / FreeBSD / OpenSolaris systems, but they are kissing goodbye to xf86-video-nv. This is not a bad thing per se as the Nouveau driver is certainly a superior solution, but it is unfortunate that NVIDIA will not be supporting the Nouveau development, releasing open-source documentation, or providing other open-source support like their competitors at ATI/AMD and Intel have done and continue to do in supporting X.Org. In fact, NVIDIA is now less open-source friendly with their deprecation of xf86-video-nv support. It was inevitable that NVIDIA would drop xf86-video-nv once the Nouveau driver took off, but their decision to recommend the VESA driver over even mentioning Nouveau is a pity and it's a shame they are not announcing any support of this community free software driver.

The Nouveau driver has been used by Fedora for a while now with Fedora 13 even supporting the 3D drivers. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is using the kernel mode-setting with 2D/X-Video support provided by Nouveau as their default NVIDIA hardware driver, but there is no "out of the box" 3D support in this release. Other distributions are also switching over to Nouveau and more will certainly be after seeing xf86-video-nv is being laid to rest.

only pertains to the nv driver ...

@OP: please link articles in future, it adds clarity and focus to the discussion

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2024 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel is just fine for me, too. I'm getting tired of the half crocked support from ATI.

I'd venture a guess that Moblin will keep Intel involved in Linux drivers, but nVidia and ATI do not have a stake in the Linux market for any reason. Hardware buyers who use Linux are evidently not being vocal enough. Now, if Linux had a native implementation of WOW or a similar high end mmo, Linux users would be looking for good 3D hardware and that would likely get us shopping and asking Newegg geeks for hardware with solid Linux support.

The point here is that Linux users aren't loud enough to be ... felt ... by nVidia and ATI. They think they've tried to reach us, but it looks like they are giving up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: