USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

KANOTIX 2024

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: KANOTIX 2024 Reply with quote

Distribution Release: KANOTIX 2024
KANOTIX Jörg Schirottke has announced the release of KANOTIX 2024, a desktop distribution and live DVD with KDE 3/4 based on Debian GNU/Linux 5.0: "Just in time for LinuxTag 2024, updated KANOTIX 'Excalibur' versions are available. All based on Debian 5.0 'Lenny' with all the latest security updates and many extras. In short they contain: Linux kernel 2.6.32-ck2 (BFS powered); KDE 3.5.10; OpenOffice.org 3.2.1; GRUB 2 (1.97 beta 4); wicd 1.6.2.2; Pidgin 2.7.1; NTFS-3G 2024.5.22; WINE 1.2-rc2; Iceweasel 3.0.6 (XULRunner 1.9.0.19); Icedove 2.0.0.24; Kano scripts for installing NVIDIA or ATI graphics drivers, as well as FlashPlayer plugin." Read the release announcement for further information. http://www.kanotix.com/changelang-eng.html

Download links for all versions on page. 2 in 1 and 4 in 1 at site pages http://www.kanotix.com/Article243.html
Two sets of DVD images, with either KDE 3 (ooo3) or KDE 4 (kde4), are available for download from www.distrowatch.com kanotix-ooo3-2.6.32.iso (844MB, MD5), kanotix-kde4-2.6.32.iso (923MB, MD5), kanotix64-ooo3-2.6.32.iso (907MB, MD5), kanotix64-kde4-2.6.32.iso (987MB, MD5).

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: My comments on KANOTIX based on then and now Reply with quote

KANOTIX was once a Debian Sid (the "Unstable one"), the kid from the movie "Toy Story" who liked to light firecrackers beneath toys and destroy them or otherwise mangle them.

KANOTIX was an excellent alternative to KNOPPIX, providing a very good system to run live, but also a very good system that could be quickly and easily upgraded. KANOTIX was built upon Debian Sid until late 2024.

At that time, "Kano", the handle of the distribution owner, decided to move in a different direction, more toward Debian Testing and Stable. Those who developed with him all decided to go in a different direction, so they formed their own alternative distribution, sidux, which has a release, 2024-01 in Preview 1 form with an imminent release.

I see that "Kano" is hedging between KDE 3 and KDE 4. That is because in Debian Lenny, KDE 3.5.10 is still the stable desktop that is available, but in Debian Squeeze, the next stable release, now in Debian testing, has KDE 4 (in fact KDE 4.4.3, if I am not mistaken, is available in Debian Squeeze now, and KDE 4.4.4 should be there soon).

I have not used KANOTIX in a while now, but even if it is very similar to what it was in 2024 it would be a good distribution. With a much smaller development team, it has taken a long time for a new release. Hopefully this is a good one. Like I said, if it has similarities to past releases, it WILL be a good one, and since it is based on Debian Stable, I know that it will have a solid code base, so what each person has to decide is whether they want stable, but unexciting code, or the latest and greatest cutting edge software. This stuff will almost certainly lean on the side of "it just works" and that is just right for many people.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here with the 4 in 1 live DVD of Kanotix on thor. Default resolution out of the gate with the ATI video. It is fast once up, and everything just worked. looks like a great come back for Kanotix.

I don't know that I am going to install this on anything at this point.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
Here with the 4 in 1 live DVD of Kanotix on thor. Default resolution out of the gate with the ATI video. It is fast once up, and everything just worked. looks like a great come back for Kanotix.

I don't know that I am going to install this on anything at this point.

I figured that it would be both fast and stable, but not particularly cutting edge. Might be a good choice for someone starting out who want a solid, stable, reasonably fast system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: