USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Editing PDFs in LInux

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Software for Business
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donavon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Editing PDFs in LInux Reply with quote

Hey All,

are there any applications that will enable me to edit a PDF file in Linux. Someone had suggested Kword, but I don;t see that filter in Kword V1.2.

Any suggestions ?

-donavon

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello donavon. Welcome to usalug.

Acrobat will give you limited editing capability. I think GhostView may, as well.

/germ

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question is a tough but frequently occurring question.

Warning: some of these entries might not be stable, might not be current, might not be standalone, might not do very much, etc.

Until Adobe gets going on Linux versions...
=========
Create a document in something, convert to PDF:
Lout
-> Per the TeX Frequently Asked Questions page, you can convert PostScript to PDF Via ghostscript and via Pstill

NOTE: LaTeX seems to be interested in creating output from itself to the PDF format, visit their FAQ, use your browser to search for 'PDF' on the FAQ page.

Create a document in XML, output PDF:
FOP

Java based PDF import/creation:
Big Faceless PDF Library
iText

In fact, here is a Freshmeat search for 'PDF', which generated much of the above.

Caveat Emptor, I have never tried any of the above software!

Last edited by mmmna on Thu Jul 03, 2024 11:07 am; edited 2 times in total
donavon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the leads.

It's unfortunate for such an ubiquitious software that you cannot easily find a converter to Word.....Thanks to bad feelings from adobe and Microsoft.

-dac

pbharris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2024 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well - not editing direct pdfs - but there is htmldoc - this will create a pdf with links in it, better than straight pdf

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea - if the output PDF is your own original work, then save your final document 2 times: first save it as PDF, then save it as postscript.
You can always reload the postscript version of the document, edit that and repeat the double save trick (which creates the PDF with the new data).

If you are trying to edit someone elses PDF, I'm still keeping that in mind.

donavon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to edit someone elses PDF document.....any know solutions?

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2024 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm locking this thread until I get some clarification on a few things.... I will unlock if circumstances permit.

Sorry....

EDIT
I went to Adobes website, found that PDF files are considered highly by medical institutions and government agencies as records, statements, and the like (link).

Adobe wrote:
For example, PDF is the standard format for the electronic submission of drug approvals to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and for electronic case filing in U.S. federal courts. It is also used by the governments of the United Kingdom and Germany for electronic document exchange.

Further, Adobe is promoting the archival functions with some white papers:
PDF as a standard for archiving (PDF: 304k)
and
PDF as a standard for managing and archiving documents and forms (PDF: 68k)

Idea I'll suggest that any medical records, any government documents should not be edited unless editing is performed by the original entity which created the PDF file.

I apologize for any inconvenience which might have arisen from me locking the thread. - it is now unlocked.
/EDIT

donavon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let get to the point, I am in no way attempting to commit any type of fraud by editing a PDF.

FIrst off, I have a legal copy of Adobe PDF write. Howver, when you open a PDF with it, it's not really made ofr editing, just some basic managemnet of the document. I got an Open PDF doucment from the web and I want to use it as a basis in a white paper, so I need to edit it.

Remember that you can't edit any PDF where the author doesn't give that explicit permission. So therefore any PDF that would be editing would have had permissioon explicitly given by the author.

May I ask, What the heck is the purpose of locking a thread? It it to stop the potential discussion or resolution of the question? What would be the point? There are countless other forums that can provide the solution!

-donavon

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point was not to stop discussion, but to not try to help edit pdf's where EXPLICIT permission wasn't there. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject: I'm sorry, I was a bad editor. Reply with quote

donavon wrote:
Let get to the point, I am in no way attempting to commit any type of fraud by editing a PDF.

You never implied such activities, donavon.

I developed that point of view from my own research into the functions of PDF files, I'm sorry that I came across as implying such activities towards you.

Quote:
Remember that you can't edit any PDF where the author doesn't give that explicit permission. So therefore any PDF that would be editing would have had permissioon explicitly given by the author.

I disagree there. Editing any file is technically possible, the skills are all that is needed.

Quote:
May I ask, What the heck is the purpose of locking a thread? It it to stop the potential discussion or resolution of the question? What would be the point? There are countless other forums that can provide the solution!

I understand your point, and I'll make this clear: I as moderator will not allow a discussion to progress to reach a conclusion such that forged documents are generated herein. If crouse, our administrator wishes to override me, that is fine by me. For my part, I did a bad job at forming my post which explained my reasons for locking the thread - I repeatedly edited and edited my response, and in the end, I edited my post poorly; I could have separated my reasons better. I'm sorry for the error.

You have a private message.

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2024 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can use PS2PDF and vica versa to convert between PostScript and PDF. These come with gs/gv. I know OO.org 1.1 can save to PDF but I'm not sure about editing it. If there is some DTP program that can work with PS format, you should be ok.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
liviu

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is might be a solution:
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2d766.htm

This might be a tricky question, donavon!!!
We, the members of USALug, DON'T like Windoze.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.html?t=10314

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:
http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.html?t=10314

Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Software for Business All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: