USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Linux For Non-Geeks / Rickford Grant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Reviews and Interviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Linux For Non-Geeks / Rickford Grant Reply with quote

Reviewer: Crouse - usalug.org

Book: Linux For Non-Geeks by Rickford Grant.
"A hands-on, project based, take-it-slow, guidebook"
308 Pages , $34.95 US, $49.95 CA
March 2024
ISBN:1-59327-034-8
Publisher: No-Starch Press
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1593270348/

First off, this book isn't for the Linux guru's of the world. If you are one, find a different book. This book is for those new to Linux that think they can't possibly run this geek's operating system. It's for your mom, grandmother, father, maybe you, or anyone that isn't totally unfamiliar with the computer world, but doesn't claim geek status in any computer related domain. It's also for the fence riders, the ones that might want to know what Linux is all about and what it can do, but for one reason or another, need a helpful hand/nudge. Here is your nudge.

Included with the book are two cd's containing a version of Fedora Core 1 Linux. A nice touch, this allows the user to install the operating system in order to get to the heart of things, learning to use Linux. Not only does it include the cd's, the book walks you through setting up the new operating system on your computer. This is in chapter two, "Making Commitments". But I'm getting ahead of myself. In chapter one the book talks about Linux, why you should use Linux, why Linux is ready for the desktop, what distributions are, Fedora Core, and hardware requirements to run Linux, in particular the included version.

There are twenty chapters to this book, and all twenty are worth reading. The author has done an excellent job of presenting Linux in a friendly fun to read fashion, and never comes off sounding elitist or condescending. A bit of humor injected here and there and the writing style makes it a very easy to read book. Don't think that just because it's easy to read, it isn't jam packed with useful information, because it is.

I like the chapter titles, I found them humorous, and lighthearted like the book should be for a Linux "newbie". Some of the more catchy chapter titles include "More than webbed feet" , "Dressing up the bird" , "RPM isn't a 1980's Atlanta-based band", and one of my favorites "Tux Rocks". While the chapter titles are kind of silly, there is a lot of information in these chapters, the kind of stuff everyone new to Linux usually asks. No laughing matter, being a Linux newbie can be hard, because there is a lot to learn.

Some of the information that is in this book includes:
Virtual Desktops, Network Connections, Internet Browsers, User Accounts, Login Screens, Window Managers, Printers, Games, Using RPM's, Burning Cd Burning software, Mplayer, Synaptic Package Manger, Xmms and playing mp3's, Cameras, Office Software, Graphics Software, Fonts, KDE, Gnome, and much much more. Basically the questions everyone new to Linux asks, and the answers in the book are concise, and practical, and easy to follow.

This book doesn't delve real deeply into the command line or programming, it skims those areas but doesn't stop to really get in depth about them, that's not what the book is about. This book is to help the new user to do the day to day things they might want to do. Email, browse the web, play music, write documents, and many other normal daily computing tasks. Lets face it, if your new to Linux, the command line and programming aren't the first things on your list of things to do. The book helps a new Linux user acclimate themselves to the world of Linux and some of the interesting programs that are installed with the system. The sections include hands on things too, step by step instructions for installing new applications and then many of the following sections use the newly installed applications to show you something else. It reminds me of some of my early math texts from grade school, you learn one thing, build on that, and learn more. A nice format that lets you accomplish things and learn at the same time.

If I could recommend only one book for those thinking about running Linux, this would be the book. It answers many of the "newbie" questions you see on a regular basis in any Linux forum. For only being 308 pages the author has done a fine job of introducing Linux to anyone wanting to learn. I only wish it had been written when I started using Linux !

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying this book for my dad when I go away to uni so he can manage the linux machines we have here.
Maybe it's not such a great idea after all as both those machines are headless and only have access via ssh. Nor do they use rpm Surprised based distro's (Gentoo and debian)

Good review though, I'll point a few friends at this book Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CubKid

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2024 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to look into that as well. Smile

Mr. Bo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2024 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've ordered it, and am impatiently waitiing it's arriival. I recently installed SuSE on my machine, and being a noob to linux drives me nuts. I used to customize Windows as much as possible, and spent a tonne of time figuring out everything I could about tweaking the OS. Now I am lost in the woods without a flashlight. I usually just jump right in even if it's over my head, but I'm finding that as soon as I read "just compile, and run" in a readme (or as the readme) I'm instantly lost. Hopefully this book will get me going in the right direction.

I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait. Smile

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2024 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think Windows was customisable Laughing you'll love Linux. Anything and everything can be set manually, and the OS won't just go back and change things around when it feels like it Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mr. Bo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2024 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awesome! I used to have Litestep on my machine, and when I fisrt saw Linux I thought 'I wonder if there is something like Litestep for Linux?' but from the little I've seen so far it sounds as though you don't even need the Litestep part, only modules (type things.) This is going to be sweet (well maybe by next year. Smile )

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2024 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiteStep was based on the Afterstep window manager for X IIRC.
http://www.afterstep.org/

pbharris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2024 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Crouse - i have my mom set up with a linux box. i have made it as easy as possible for her to use (instructions like 'press red dinasour head with left mouse button to access google). she does not really even know the basics e.g. she thinks a file is a piece of paper, but she says she wants book to learn. she has never used MS windows either and she is dooing good with linux, but it may be helpful to get her something else. please let me know!
thanks,
paul

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah..... I think this would be a great book for you mom Smile It is very nice to have something to reference when you get stuck..... this book kind of fills that gap. The Mandrake and SuSe Official sets come with books..... this one beats them both as far as being newbie freindly Smile

Mr. Bo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2024 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the new SuSE 9.1, and the book that comes with it isn't all that great if you are a non linux person. It goes form real simple (too simple.) to total geek. I was hoping to learn a little bit of the configuring (other than changing the background picture) like installing themes, and compiling/installing programs, and the whole file structure protocol (since it isn't exactly obvious to a noob) but none of that seems to be covered. I was also hoping to learn the command line stuff, but it assumes you already know how to do all that (or that you will stick to the gui). Not very helpful. It seems to me that it was written by some very knowledgeable people (too knowledgeable to be writing a users guide.)

I finally received my LFNG, and I can't wait to try it. I think on Thursday I'm going to take SuSE off (for the time being) and install the Fedora Core that came with the book. I'm even going to make my GF read it. I think it'll be fun. Smile

maillion
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2024 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bo wrote:
I bought the new SuSE 9.1, and the book that comes with it isn't all that great if you are a non linux person. It goes form real simple (too simple.) to total geek. I was hoping to learn a little bit of the configuring (other than changing the background picture) like installing themes, and compiling/installing programs, and the whole file structure protocol (since it isn't exactly obvious to a noob) but none of that seems to be covered. I was also hoping to learn the command line stuff, but it assumes you already know how to do all that (or that you will stick to the gui). Not very helpful. It seems to me that it was written by some very knowledgeable people (too knowledgeable to be writing a users guide.)

I finally received my LFNG, and I can't wait to try it. I think on Thursday I'm going to take SuSE off (for the time being) and install the Fedora Core that came with the book. I'm even going to make my GF read it. I think it'll be fun. Smile

Here is one link that you may find very useful: http://www.tldp.org/
It is the Linux Documentation Project, and there you will find most, if not all the stuff you couldn't find in the manual you got... Cool

Mr. Bo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I bookmarked it and will have to atake a look when I have some time. I'm sure it'll be interesting reading. Thank you very much. Smile

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one site every Linux user should know - there's lots of stuff that isn't there, but almost all the docs there are of high quality.

Mir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might pick up or look at this book if i see it around ( though that's doubtful - since the nearest decent book store is around a hundred miles away) - or I could just keep bothering NuKeS with questions and failing to understand the answers. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
markrmcs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after all of these positive reviews I decided to get this book as well for myself. One question though...if I get nothing out of it who do I get my money back from??? Should it be Crouse since he first reviewed it or should all who gave positive comments chip in??? Smile Smile Smile

Just kidding I'm sure it will be a valuable resource!!

Mark

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Reviews and Interviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: