USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Hotwayd install - for beginners??

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject: Hotwayd install - for beginners?? Reply with quote

This is being done on my Suse 9.0 pro box, with mozilla browser, and mozilla mail.

The instructions for the hotwayd mail app recommended by Germ seemed pretty straightforward, until I started to get into the nuts and bolts of it.

Then I got to this part about the libraries:
Quote:
You'll need libxml2 and libxml2-devel with iconv support in order to compile this program. We use this library to parse the HTTPMail requests. You may also need to install libiconv and zlib. Shocked

I know nothing about parsing or compiling.

Next, I got to looking at the download, and found out I needed to know whether I was going to use the source distribution, the RPM distribution, or the SRPM package. Confused (Doesn't anyone make YaST distributions? Maybe I should have stayed with my Mandrake box!!) Confused

After much searching, I was able to download the libxml2 and it's companion -devel, as well as the zlib. Then I went back to Google and typed in "libiconv" and was sent to the GNU page to get the download.

The instructions for downloading and installing....
Quote:
As usual for GNU packages:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ make
$ make install

After installing GNU libiconv for the first time, it is recommended to recompile and reinstall GNU gettext, so that it can take advantage of libiconv. Surprised Surprised
I gotta ask, what does the --prefix= mean?

Now I'm chasing another program that I don't have the slightest idea of how to recompile.

I wanted to learn command line Linux, so it looks like I'm getting into it in a big way! Smile

I'm putting all of these downloads into one file called "downloads," which, if I can, I will rename to Hotway.

My 1st question is, how do I recompile something, the 2nd is which distribution do I need, and the 3rd is how do I make the libraries work, do I install them in some way?

I'll have more questions before this is over, but I've got to do one thing at a time.

There are no instructions on the GNU site that I could find for recompiling, so I'm at a loss. Sad

I eventually want to use this to let Mozilla mail get all my Hotmail accounts, like outlook Express does. THX, JP Smile

Stuka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see (in the other thread) that you've abandoned this, but to answer your question, --prefix in a configure script generally adds info to the makefile so that when you run
Code:
make install
the binary/lib/whatever you're building ends up in $PREFIX/appname rather than the default (which I thought was /usr/local in many cases, but may not be for this setup).

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't abandoned this, it's entirely new to me. That thread was about a different subject (deleting cookies and temp internet files), and so I thought I was supposed to start a new question if it wasn't about the same subject , that's what it is doing here. I'm sorry if I goofed up again, it wasn't intentional. Thanks for the info. THX, JP Very Happy Very Happy

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
I haven't abandoned this, it's entirely new to me. That thread was about a different subject (deleting cookies and temp internet files), and so I thought I was supposed to start a new question if it wasn't about the same subject , that's what it is doing here. I'm sorry if I goofed up again, it wasn't intentional. Thanks for the info. THX, JP Very Happy Very Happy

You're doing fine. It is better to start a new thread. Wink

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2024 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THX Germ, is he right about it being /usr/local, rather than the $prefix/appname?
I can't figure Linux out.. if I type
Quote:
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ make
$ make install

it makes a directory or a file called $prefix/appname? How does it know to put in appname, etc.? Confused Confused THX, JP

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need to declare the prefix. Just let it default. I've never used hotwayd, but the executable is probably in /bin or /usr/bin and the libraries in /lib or /usr/lib.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: