USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Book Review: Point & Click Linux! By Robin Miller
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Reviews and Interviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2024 5:31 am    Post subject: Book Review: Point & Click Linux! By Robin Miller Reply with quote

USA Linux Users Group
Book Review
Reviewer: Crouse

Book:Point & Click Linux! "Your Guide to Trouble-Free Computing"
By Robin Miller

Publisher: Prentice Hall
Book Website: http://www.pointandclicklinux.com
Prentice Hall Website: http://www.htmltr.com/title/0131488724
Suggested Retail $29.99
ISBN: 0-13-148872-4
Published: Nov 9, 2024 -- Copyright 2024
Dimensions 7x9-1/4
Pages: 288

I'm not so sure that this book is as much of a review, as it is so much my own personal endorsement. The book isn't real thick, and this review isn't real long, but if you ever wanted to know where to start in your quest to learn Linux, read on.

First off, this book is designed for those new to Linux. Not for guru's... there are already plenty of books for you guys! This one is for people wanting to dip their toes in the Linux water. Lately there have been a few books that have catered to the "I don't even know what Linux is" group, but this is probably the best I've read to date. Almost a pictoral book, it uses images and pictures on almost every page to help the reader know what they should look for. Not only does the book have an easy to read format with visual guides galore, it also includes a DVD that has step by step directions that you can watch on your dvd player. Besides the DVD and the book, you also get a "Simply Mepis" Live Linux cd. This cd will allow you to run Mepis virtually, without installing Linux. This gives you a chance to play with Linux without messing up your current system at all. Once your ready to try installing Linux to the hard drive, it's a simple matter of a few mouseclicks and it installs. Step by step instructions for doing this are in the book.

There are plenty of in-depth books on command line stuff, and programming linux, and system administration and other "scary" stuff like that, this book isn't like that. Very simple, straightforward and practical. Step by Step explanations that are clear and easy to follow. With this book, and enclosed install cd and tutorial dvd, I do believe it's the "Linux on the Desktop" realized at last. So simple, even grandma can do it, or in this case, my youngest daughter. I installed this for my daughter on her new computer for Christmas, and she loves it. I gave her the book too. If you've EVER wanted to try Linux but were afraid it was too complicated, buy this book. Quite possibly the best investment for your computer you will ever make.

You can thank me later. Wink

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review crouse
I have a question about the Simply Mepis that came with the book. Did you find that it ran good and ran fast, or was it rather slow and buggy? I'm just curious if a commercial disk was better than the one I downloaded. Confused

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran excellent. Similar to Knoppix as a live cd, ran much faster once installed though.

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
richard
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
Ran excellent. Similar to Knoppix as a live cd, ran much faster once installed though.

I said it was nice. I've just upgraded to ProMepis 2024 Beta 3 and I have to say that the install is as still as sweet as ever. I hope that you and your family enjoy it as much as I have.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THX crouse maybe I'll give it a spin on the hard drive instead of the 'live' CD. Also, it may be just this box. None of the distro's seem real fast on it, I just thought SM was exceptionally slow and buggy. Once again, Thanks for the review. Very Happy

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard wrote:
crouse wrote:

I said it was nice. I've just upgraded to ProMepis 2024 Beta 3 and I have to say that the install is as still as sweet as ever. I hope that you and your family enjoy it as much as I have.

I just downloaded that ISO, and am itching to install it Very Happy

Any major changes/improvements in ProMepis 2024 beta 3 over the Simply Mepis cd that was in this book ? Hopefully I have time to install it tonight after work.

richard
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="crouse"]
richard wrote:
Any major changes/improvements in ProMepis 2024 beta 3 over the Simply Mepis cd that was in this book ? Hopefully I have time to install it tonight after work.

This is taken from the Mepis website

Quote:
ProMEPIS is intended for enthusiasts, early adapters, and IT professionals. It contains many of the same apps as SimplyMEPIS and in addition Akregator (a news aggregator), Azureus (a BitTorrent client). Mozilla has been replaced by the latest version of Firefox as the default browser. Kontact is the default email and address manager. It comes fully integrated with both SpamAssassin and Clam AntiVirus for spam and virus filtering. KDar provides a professional backup and archiving solution. Nvu has replaced Quanta as is the default html editor. Two new multimedia applications are Kino (DV movie editor) and Q DVDAuthor.

For developers, ProMEPIS includes Kdevelop3 and the QT3 development tools. Also a number of servers are preinstalled including Apache, MySQL, ProFTDd, TFTP, DHCP3, Rsync, Bind9, eXim4 (mail server), and SystemImager (automates Linux installs, software distribution, and production deployment).

To address legacy business requirements, ProMEPIS supports remote client software (PPTP, IBM-5250, Citrix), Rekall (database frontend similar to MS Access) and Wine. ProMEPIS also supports win4lin and Crossover Office.

ProMEPIS comes with KDE 3.3.1 and, for the first time, it includes Gnome core 2.6. In the Beta, ProMEPIS comes with a single kernel (2.6.7), but an update to 2.6.9 is planned for the final release. The new kernel includes ISDN support and SELinux hooks. ProMEPIS is pinned to the MEPIS and Debian unstable pools.

The installer is the same as SimplyMepis so you shouldn't have any problems and the Desktop is very similar.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2024 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, guess what guys, .... I installed it to HDD, it's nothing at all like I experienced with the 'live'CD install a while back. I've been reading so many of richard's posts about Pro, I opened this up and couldn't find my Firefox! Surprised I've been Gypped!! Mad

Then I went back to the web site and saw that it was Mozilla, not Firefox in Simply Mepis Embarassed. I'll be all right when I get better...(the wife says that's IF I get better! Laughing)

Thanks for your persistence richard and masinick, and thanks for your review crouse. It's actually a better distro than I had given it credit for Embarassed . JP Very Happy

Richard, since this is debian-based, can I "apt-get install firefox" and then once I get it configured, can I "apt-get remove mozilla", or is that a bad idea?

One thing I have found out about this distro that I don't like... just a minor annoyance, really.... my wheel mouse won't work with Mepis. I like to scroll with the wheel, instead of using the scroll bar. Smile

mr_ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2024 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP, yes.

Do
apt-get update
apt-get install mozilla-firefox
apt-get remove mozilla

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2024 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh just installed ProMepis 2024 Beta 3

I LOVE THIS DISTRO Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2024 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ed wrote:
JP, yes.

Do
apt-get update
apt-get install mozilla-firefox
apt-get remove mozilla

Thanks mr_ed - this was my mistake
Quote:
"apt-get install firefox" instead of "apt-get install mozilla-firefox" Embarassed
when I tried it. I'll try again.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2024 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

]b]mr_ed[/b] everything went smoothly except this -
Quote:
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://metalab.unc.edu unstable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/metalab.unc.edu_pub_linux_devel_lang_java_blackdown.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
I just ran update. I'll run it again, but do you have any ideas why I got this error? Confused

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2024 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ed, For some reason, I can't edit my posts. It says I cannot post new topics, I can reply to topics, I cannot edit my posts, I cannot delete my posts, I can vote in polls. Any idea what's up?

After updating again, I wanted to edit the above post with this:
Quote:
EDIT: Failed to fetch ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Unable to fetch file, server said '/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz: No such file or directory '
Reading Package Lists... Done
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Is there some other mirror that I need to get it from, or is it a non-essential file Confused

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should work .....

the metalab mirror is either down or the package is moved. I think it was a java package, i recieved the same error and it works fine.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
should work .....

the metalab mirror is either down or the package is moved. I think it was a java package, i recieved the same error and it works fine.
OK, the firefox seems to work OK.

crouse have you got any idea why it says
Quote:
It says I cannot post new topics, I can reply to topics, I cannot edit my posts, I cannot delete my posts, I can vote in polls.
Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Reviews and Interviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: