USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Book Review: Moving to Linux - by Marcel Gagné

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Reviews and Interviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject: Book Review: Moving to Linux - by Marcel Gagné Reply with quote

USA Linux Users Group - Book Review
Reviewer: masinick

Book: Moving to Linux - Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye -2nd Ed.
Author: Marcel Gagné
Publisher: Addison Wesley
Pages: 512
ISBN: 0321356403
The Book: http://www.awprofessional.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0321356403&rl=1

The title of the book, "Moving to Linux - Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye" (Second Edition), is a reasonably accurate description of the content of the book. This book definitely caters to the novice desktop Linux user. While it does not focus all that much on actually kissing anything good bye, by the time you finish reading it, you will discover that desktop Linux systems definitely offer a viable alternative to using the most commonly used proprietary systems.

SUMMARY:
Would you recommend the product? yes | Rating: 9/10
Pros: Easy and entertaining to read, yet full of information
Cons: Not useful for deep, intimate details

I have found this book to be one of the best resources available for examining the easy to use desktop Linux systems and the applications that they run. While this book provides a custom copy of WFTL Linux (Writer and Free Thinker at Large), based on KNOPPIX, the contents of the book are aimed at anyone looking for an easy to use desktop Linux system. The book is entertaining and does an excellent job of presenting major applications, the basics of how they work, and a few alternatives of each major application.

For example, when discussing Web browsers, both KDE's Konqueror and Mozilla's Firefox are discussed, but references are given to a number of other alternatives.

What level of experience is needed to use the information in the book? The book is targeted to those who have used computers before, but it is not targeted at the very experienced user base. Who will find it most useful? The kind of person who would find this book most helpful would be someone who is used to using Windows, is tired of using Windows, either because of the cost of purchasing additional software, the instability of certain applications, or a general frustration with the status quo. Someone who is looking for a desktop alternative will find useful information in this book.

Is there an existing, canonical book that already covers the same ground? Well, over the past year or so, several books have been written to cover this ground. Prior to about two years ago, there were hardly any books that were actually targeted at the audience that this book reaches, though a few others have tried to do so in the past. My personal opinion is that this one gets the job done better than any of the others, though Robin Miller's book that contains a copy of the fall 2024 edition of Simply MEPIS is one possible alternative.

Is the book readable as well as technically accurate? Marcel Gagne has a very conversational writing style. Those of you familiar with his regular column, "Cooking With Linux" in the Linux Journal will find a similar writing style. Though Marcel does not chat with his waiter in this book, he does communicate effectively with his reader. He clearly identifies his own personal interests and preferences, and explains why he appreciates certain features. The language and tone of the writing is more conversational than it is technical, but it does explain well how to use desktop applications and there are many useful pictures, diagrams, and explanations to supplement the discussions.

Is the depth appropriate? For the intended audience, yes, I think so. This book is not intended to be a HOWTO book, that is, it does not go into excruciating detail on how to install Linux, how to configure a network or a driver, but it does explain how to use several common applications, such as the major Web browsers and Email clients. It does not go into a lot of detail on how to set up a Web server (out of scope) or how to install a wireless network card. These kinds of things are better left to technical articles and in depth books about specific topics.

Are the illustrations effective and well executed? Yes. Marcel discusses his favorite desktop applications for Web browsing, Email reading, text editing, multimedia entertainment, and other common desktop uses of computer systems. He always describes at least two alternatives for each desktop function, and he also includes a number of other alternatives, and locations to find out more information about each topic. In his explanations, he uses quite a few screenshot pictures, explaining how to use certain features and what they look like. He also includes diagrams and comparisons of multiple alternatives, and he always explains his own personal preferences, clearly identifying what his preferences are.

Do any extras come with the book, like a CD-ROM of additional information or code samples? Yes indeed! Marcel took a recent version of KNOPPIX and customized it for the book, emphasizing desktop applications, and built a Live CD entitled WFTL Linux, which stands for Writer and Free Thinker at Large Linux. This is a very useful CD, because, first of all, you can use it with very little risk to your existing system. You insert this CD into your CD drive and boot or reboot your system. You can use the CD to determine whether or not Linux can be used on your desktop computer. IF it can, you can also use this CD to install Linux on your computer.

What's missing from the book? Well, it does not contain several chapters, showing you in excruciating detail how to install or configure either the software or the applications on it. There is some information about the CD and about the applications, but it is mostly geared to explaining why Linux software is viable and why it is worth moving from the "blue screen" to a Linux desktop system. If you are looking for a lot of in depth detail, this isn't the best book for that kind of information. For what it is, this book delivers though.

Moving to Linux is well worth reading. Though I am an experienced software engineer, I have enjoyed reading a few sections here and there as I get ready to close my eyes for the night. Marcel often leaves me with a chuckle before I nod off, but he also frequently gives me things to think about as I look for easy ways to use the wide variety of tools I already know, and good ideas of what to recommend to my friends, who may just be starting to investigate desktop Linux software.

This book is definitely aimed at the desktop, not at servers. Those looking for alternatives for every day desktop use would be well served by this book.

The complete title of the book again is "Moving to Linux - Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye" (Second Edition). This is the second edition of the book written by Marcel Gagne. The first edition has a blue cover. This edition has a yellow cover. Both editions are published by Addison Wesley. I recommend this one. As of March 2024, the book is still relevant enough to include on your book shelf. It is also worthwhile. Go for it!

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havre to post about that at the club.

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Reviews and Interviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: