USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Terminal printer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » K12LTSP and Educational Applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmynott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2024 10:09 pm    Post subject: Terminal printer Reply with quote

Okay! Here it is. I am trying to use a Samsung usb ml-1610 as a printer connected to a single terminal in an ltsp set-up. I have edited the lts.conf a ton of different ways but nothing. I got the printer working connected to the server but have been unsuccessful at printing from the printer when connected and using the terminal. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Wink

Thanks!

Casey

Ps. I have this in the lts.conf and have been using the link at the bottom to problem solve this situation.

[ws001]
PRINTER_0_TYPE = U
PRINTER_0_DEVICE = /dev/usb/lp0

http://osl.birzeit.edu:8080/wiki2//LTSP_guide_on_Fedora#Printers_attached_to_LTSP_workstations

cmynott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.........

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2024 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...... lets clarify....

Your trying to print from the terminal..... to a printer connected to the TERMINAL.....

Your NOT trying to print from a terminal to a printer connected to the server .... correct so far ??

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
Stuka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2024 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse: unless I've lost my skills at reading, that's right - looks like printing from the terminal to the server was working for him, but he wants/needs to hook the printer to the terminal now.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cmynott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2024 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
Ok...... lets clarify....

Your trying to print from the terminal..... to a printer connected to the TERMINAL.....

Your NOT trying to print from a terminal to a printer connected to the server .... correct so far ??

Thanks for the reply. You got it. I am trying to print from the terminal to a printer connected to the terminal. I am guessing based on the literature that I have read I need to modify the lts.conf file if I want to do this.

Also, I have not tried it but I believe that printing from a terminal to a printer connected to the server should work quite easily.

Thanks for any info! Wink

Casey

cmynott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump............

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2024 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lts.conf entries IE:workstation entry

Edit: /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
add:
Code:

[ws001]
  PRINTER_0_TYPE     = U
  PRINTER_0_DEVICE   = /dev/usb/lp0

Note: IS THIS ws001 !!!!!! >>>>????? if not, add it to the correct workstation file !!!!

Server configuration
Quote:
You then need to configure the print spooler on your server to send print jobs to the workstation printer. Whether you are using CUPS or LPRng or any other print spooler, you'll just need to tell it that the printer is attached to an HP JetDirect interface with the IP address or the hostname of the workstation.

A typical device entry in cups would be:

socket://ws001:9100/

Assuming that your server can map the name 'ws001' to the IP address of the workstation. You could also use the IP address directly in the example above, instead of the ws001 name.

I don't know how else to say this either....... you might try the IP address of that workstation and using THAT instead of using the workstation name ws001

My guess is that your having issues with the LAST part of the equation..... about the only other help i can give you is to tell you to REBOOT your system after making the entries...... there are several things running that might have to be restarted in order for the new printer to be recognized, and the easist way is just to reboot ........ yeah..... so window's, but easy Wink I've had to do this when connecting my brother printers to my suse 10 system. I suppose i COULD go and figure out WHAT command restarts the systems needed, but a simple 2 min reboot solves it quick enough for me.

I wish i still had my LTSP stuff setup here, but i don't. If all else fails, get on the mailing list for K12LTSP .... those guys have done this before ALOT and are very nice and helpful too. Wish I could be of more help.

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
cmynott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
lts.conf entries IE:workstation entry

Edit: /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
add:
Code:

[ws001]
  PRINTER_0_TYPE     = U
  PRINTER_0_DEVICE   = /dev/usb/lp0

Note: IS THIS ws001 !!!!!! >>>>????? if not, add it to the correct workstation file !!!!

Server configuration
Quote:
You then need to configure the print spooler on your server to send print jobs to the workstation printer. Whether you are using CUPS or LPRng or any other print spooler, you'll just need to tell it that the printer is attached to an HP JetDirect interface with the IP address or the hostname of the workstation.

A typical device entry in cups would be:

socket://ws001:9100/

Assuming that your server can map the name 'ws001' to the IP address of the workstation. You could also use the IP address directly in the example above, instead of the ws001 name.

I don't know how else to say this either....... you might try the IP address of that workstation and using THAT instead of using the workstation name ws001

My guess is that your having issues with the LAST part of the equation..... about the only other help i can give you is to tell you to REBOOT your system after making the entries...... there are several things running that might have to be restarted in order for the new printer to be recognized, and the easist way is just to reboot ........ yeah..... so window's, but easy Wink I've had to do this when connecting my brother printers to my suse 10 system. I suppose i COULD go and figure out WHAT command restarts the systems needed, but a simple 2 min reboot solves it quick enough for me.

I wish i still had my LTSP stuff setup here, but i don't. If all else fails, get on the mailing list for K12LTSP .... those guys have done this before ALOT and are very nice and helpful too. Wish I could be of more help.

Thanks a ton for the information it is much appreciated!

I think I figured out my problem. By typing in an open terminal window "hostname" into the thin client should yield something like ws001. Unfortunately, on my setup it yields server.ltsp. I believe this is my issue. I am not to sure why this would be. Comments? Thanks!

Casey

cmynott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2024 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think I figured out my problem. By typing in an open terminal window "hostname" into the thin client should yield something like ws001. Unfortunately, on my setup it yields server.ltsp. I believe this is my issue. I am not to sure why this would be. Comments? Thanks!

Well, I have definitely found my problem. I have a k12ltsp server setup attached to a switch and attached to a terminal. The terminal thinks it is the server. Ugh. I have no idea what I have done wrong. Nightmare. Should the server not be labelling each terminal that connects as ws001, ws002, etc...???.. Thanks for any info everyone! Wink

Casey

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » K12LTSP and Educational Applications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: