USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Book Review: MySQL in a Nutshell by Russell Dyer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Reviews and Interviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2024 5:59 am    Post subject: Book Review: MySQL in a Nutshell by Russell Dyer Reply with quote

Book Review: MySQL in a Nutshell by Russell Dyer

USA Linux Users Group Book Review
Reviewer: Crouse

Book: MySQL in a Nutshell
Author: Russell Dyer
Publisher: O'reilly
First Edition May 2024
ISBN: 0-596-00789-2
Pages: 348 Price: $39.95 USD, $55.95 CAD, £28.50 GBP

Webpage: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mysqlian/
Table of Contents: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mysqlian/toc.html

MySQL in a Nutshell is for those new to mysql and also useful for those that are experienced with this database. As with most of the Nutshell books, this book is more of a complete reference for commands. Not really designed to be read cover to cover, it does provide an excellent reference for anyone that deals with the popular mysql database. The excellent examples and detailed explanations for SQL statements and the many functions make this a must have book for those just starting out, and a handy reference for those that have been using mysql for years.

The first chapter is the obligatory introduction to mysql and it's history, the second chapter deals with installing mysql and some notes on installation for various distributions and operating systems. Chapter 3 gets into the meat of the book though, named simply "MySQL Basics" this is one of the best chapters in my opinion. It gets to the heart of things. Finding people skipping to this chapter wouldn't suprise me. This is where you find the information needed to start mysql, create databases, create tables, insert data, select data, and much more. One of the few things I would have changed in this book, is to make this section even LONGER than it is, and perhaps split it up even more. Chapter 3 is the last chapter that is "just readable" for readings sake, the following chapters are more for reference than for reading.

The rest of the chapters are as I stated, more for reference than reading. All of the examples are very detailed and have clear explanations for those commands that require it. Many of the SQL statement examples in chapter 4 are a full page and detailed with examples. The chapters on the various functions are detailed in the same way and are written in a clear, easy to understand fashion. Appendix A details the datatypes available and Appendix B details the different types of operators, Appendix C shows the many enviroment variables.

Even though I would have liked to see Chapter 3 even larger or even better, split up, the book does a great job of showing you examples and it does supply you with enough information to get started, even if your new to mysql. Concise and too the point, it's everything you've come to expect from a "Nutshell" book and more. It's yet another of my "must have" books. If you deal with mysql, you'll find this one of the books that doesn't just sit on the bookshelf collecting dust.

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Reviews and Interviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: