USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

DVD ripping software that can ignore read errors? *SOLVED*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrionS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unreal.geek wrote:
Have you tried dd?
Code:
dd if=/dev/dvd of=/path/to/output.iso

This will copy the dvd bit for bit, with no compression, so the output file will be huge, I don't know how it would handle bad sectors, worth a try I suppose.

While I'm pretty sure that the copy would work, the players still choke on the bad sectors. For example, MPlayer plays the first 10 seconds of Pirates of the Carribbean (while stuttering) and then just halts amd takes my system with it. I can't even play the movie straight off the disc. Mad

But thanks for the suggestion.

BrionS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukes, I didn't see how to tell ddrescue to null-pad bad sectors, but I am trying to use it to do the following:

1. "rescue" the data from my DVD to an ISO file
2. mount the ISO
3. copy the data from the mounted ISO to the final location where I keep my video backups

I will probably try to play the movie from the mounted ISO first just to make sure it works. If it does, this seems to be the easiest solution and I could simply write a little bash script to run the copy/mount/copy for me.

Thanks everyone for your help, I 'll let you know if I get anything working. Crouse, I still plan to check out the VideoLinux distro because it sounds very interesting.

BrionS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2024 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update....

ddrescue has been running for about 2.5 days and is currently "splitting error areas" in search of more good data (which I take to mean it has already gone over the whole disc once, and is now re-investigating the bad sectors for possible good data).

Here's the stats so far:
Code:

rescued:     6212 MB,  errsize:   2327 MB,  current rate:        0 B/s
   ipos:   287556 kB,   errors:   64172,    average rate:    37505 B/s
   opos:   287556 kB
Splitting error areas...

I'm hoping this will complete in the next day or two -- it's really eating up my CPU and making it hard for me to use my PC. Crying or Very sad But I gotta know if it works.

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP ...... anyone had any luck ??

--------------------------------------
Below is kind of off topic, but i wanted to be able to find them again.... and they are "sort" of on topic i guess lol.

DVD9 to DVD5 guide
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.html?s=&threadid=244913

Howto author AVI->DVD with menus using Linux only !
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-117709-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
BrionS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for me. I gave up for now.

coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2024 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errin wanted to buy "Are We There Yet". I told her no as it is a Sony DVD, so we borrowed the neighbors Very Happy . Little off topic but.....
i tried to boot that beta of Video Linux, but it wouldn't recognize my wireless keyboard Sad so I couldn't check that out. May take it to work and check it out though Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
yushi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mencoder has been able to rip Sony DVDs just fine for a while now. Just make sure that it's compiled with dvdnav support. Then you just need to pass it the dvdnav://x option instead of the dvd://x option. You also should specify the end position of the movie with the -endpos option or else it will just create a giant infinite loop of video.

BrionS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2024 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yushi! Sorry I missed your response somehow.

How do I find the end position of the movie exactly? I'm intrigued by this dvdnav idea since it sounds like it solves the problem (namely, Sony's copy protection requires you follow the on-disc pointers to the good sectors instead of just reading straight through).

Thanks for the tip!

yushi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually rather lazy about how I rip them personally. Normally I just run a command like:
mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -alang en -oac copy -ovc copy dvdnav:// -o <movie_name.mpg>

Then I play back the ripped video every once in a while as it is still ripping and wait until I can see the end of the credits in the resulting file. When I find the end of the credits, I take note of the number of seconds to the end of the credits (pause the video at the credits end and look at the console that mplayer is running in) also, you can abort the ripping job with a ctrl-c if you haven't already. The line in the console that tells you the number of seconds the video is paused at looks something like:

V: 10.8 502/502 1% 0% 0.0% 0 0

The first number on that line ( 10.8 ) is the number of seconds that have been played. Take that number and re-encode the mpeg file that you just ripped with the following options:

mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -oac copy -ovc copy <movie_name.mpg> -o movie-name-edit.mpg -endpos <end time of movie in seconds>

After that is done. You have a perfect rip of the dvd that you will be able to play in anything after you re-burn it to a disc with dvdauthor or you can just re-encode to XViD or something. A little more work than normal, but still easy to do none the less. Smile

BrionS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm resurrecting this thread for those of you who are interested.

*SOLVED*

Aside from yushi's advice (which I personally didn't try because I want a less manual solution, but I believe it probably works) I found that the VideoLAN player (VLC) handles Sony ARccOS and Macrovision's RipGuard DVDs flawlessly. Better yet, you can tell VLC to simply stream the DVD to a file. The output options are somewhat limited, but you can do MPEG-2, MPEG-4, OGM and a couple others (not AVI).

Here's how I did it:

1. Start VLC
  2. Open File -> Wizard...
  3. Select Transcode/Save to file
  4. Select "Select a stream" and click the Choose button
  5. Go to the Disc tab
  6. Disc type => DVD (not the menu one)
  7. Select the correct title (usually 1)
  8. (optional) Select the chapter
  9. (optional) Select the subtitles track
  10. Select the correct audio track (usually 1)
  11. Click OK
  12. necessary for some DVDs: specify the partial transcode time range in seconds then click Next
  13. (optional) Select the audio and video codecs to which you wish to transcode the DVD
  14. Click Next
  15. Select your container format (MPEG, OGG, MP4, MOV) - MPEG PS is standard for DVDs and playable in mplayer and xine and MythTV
  16. Click Next and type in the path and filename (including extension) of the file you want to save
  17. Click Finish and away it goes!

When it completes (may be quite a bit slower than K9Copy or mencoder or transcode, but it will complete) you have successfully ripped (and transcoded) your Sony DVD!

I am so very happy this works without resorting to all sorts of annoying tricks using myriad Windows software.

Edit: One addendum to note is that while VLC can play all the DVDs, ripping/transcoding isn't always straightforward. I've found a couple DVDs (including The Legend of Zorro) that won't rip even in VLC if you don't specify a partial transcoding range (in seconds).

The way I noticed this was when ripping it started at 0:00:00 / 2:10:00 and died about 14 seconds in. When I played the movie through the VLC player using the menu, the main feature started at 0:00:57 / 2:10:00 and played without a problem.

I've modified the steps above to include the point where you would specify the partial transcode range. Thankfully VLC makes it very easy to see the current position time and the final position time at once.

So if you're having problems ripping a movie because VLC keeps quitting almost as soon as it starts ripping, try playing the movie through the Open Disc... DVD (menus) option and navigate to the film paying attention to the current time when the actual movie starts playing (i.e. the Columbia / Sony Pictures logo shows up) -- that may be a minute or more into the film at the point it starts. That's where you should point VLC to start transcoding (because bad sectors lie before that point). You may also need to supply an end time shorter than the full length (skip to the last chapter/credits) and see when the current time position stops incrementing.

Good luck!

yushi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2024 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

the dvdnav:// option in mencoder has been updated since my original post and no longer requires any extra legwork.

just run:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -alang en dvdnav://1 -o moviename.mpg

this makes a perfect rip.

Also, there is a new copy protection called ProtectDISC that is popping up on DVDs lately. They have an invalid UDF filesystem on them and usually look like a bad disc as the OS won't be able to read them properly (might not even be able to mount them). To correct this problem, mount the discs as an iso9660 filesystem (ie: mount /dev/dvd /mnt -t iso9660), then run mencoder to rip.

Very Happy

And just for giggles, here is the script that I slapped together to do all of my ripping. Smile

#!/bin/sh

if [ ! -f /usr/bin/zenity ] ; then
echo "DVD Ripper requires zenity to run. Please install it and try again."
fi

STDOUT=`zenity \
--title "DVD Ripper" \
--width=300 \
--height=218 \
--list \
--radiolist \
--column " " \
--column "Ripper Mode" \
TRUE "Standard DVD" \
FALSE "Sony DVD"`

if [ "$STDOUT" == "Standard DVD" ]; then
rippermode="dvd"
elif [ "$STDOUT" == "Sony DVD" ]; then
rippermode="dvdnav"
fi

dvdtrack=`zenity \
--title "DVD Ripper" \
--entry \
--text="Track Number to Rip (leave blank for most DVDs)"`

title=`zenity --title "DVD Ripper" \
--entry \
--text="DVD Title"`

if [ "$title" != "" ]; then
mencoder \
-oac copy \
-ovc copy \
-of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf \
-alang en \
$rippermode://$dvdtrack \
-o "$title.mpg" | zenity \
--progress \
--pulsate \
--title "DVD Ripper" \
--text "Ripping..." \
--auto-close
fi

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2024 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw in, I've had VERY good success with k9copy...

BrionS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2024 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k9copy is great, but it wouldn't work on Underworld: Evolution or a number of other Sony/Disney movies. But I agree, it's an excellent program.

pbharris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2024 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks BrionS - very nice

AlexGrim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2024 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This command will make an *exact* copy, minus the bad blocks, but it takes a *very* long time. It is a disk rescuing tool that you can yum.

Code:
[^v^]$ dd_rescue /dev/sr1 "/Multimedia/Movies/Ultraviolet/Ultraviolet.iso"

dd_rescue: (info): ipos:     21504.0k, opos:     21504.0k, xferd:     21504.0k
                   errs:      0, errxfer:         0.0k, succxfer:     21504.0k
             +curr.rate:     2427kB/s, avg.rate:     2427kB/s, avg.load:  1.0%

2.6.26.6-79.fc9.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Oct 17 14:20:33 EDT 2024 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: