USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

So who is certified?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Linux Education and Certification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject: So who is certified? Reply with quote

For Linux,I mean.Not certified looney or somthing Very Happy
I'll start:
I took and passed the Linux+ exam last December.I had a raging head cold and nodded off once during the taking of it,but still managed a decent score of 87% correct answers.
lynch

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work, lynch! Not me, though.

What materials did you use to prepare for the test with? and do you use Linux at work?

lynch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pretty good grasp of Linux but I used the Linux+Bible and the Linux+ Exam Cram books to get a feel for what the test was about.Comptia certs are looking like my hobby:I already was A+ and Network+ certified.Smile
My day job tools consist of hammer,sawsetc.Ive been a carpenter for 30 years.My fly-by-night job is computer/networking service and repair.I use Linux ( Knoppix mostly) as a troubleshooting/recovery tool and its also my main testing tool for new builds.
lynch

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Comptia certification testing need sponsors?

lynch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah,if you got the buck$....

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2024 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBMs DeveloperWorks section has previously offered free LPI prep courses, created by Daniel Robbins of Gentoo fame. Search this page for the string 'LPI'.

If you've never visited the IBM section on Linux, GO THERE NOW!

lynch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool.Thanks,mmmna.
I have the General Linux Prep Guide for LPI cert. I bought the book because the author,Dee-Ann LeBlanc,is a favorite of mine.She maintains a mailing list where she personally corresponds to questions or tips.She also writes the Linux column in CPU magazine.
Have always wanted to check LPI out.Now I have no excuse Very Happy
lynch

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind doing Linux+ or RHCE (even though I don't use RH) just because it would look good applying for a job. There's two main obstacles in the way:
1) I'm 17 and have no money
2) I live ~110 miles away from the nearest city.
In fact, I've never met another person who uses Linux (in RL) apart from when I was looking at unis Sad If truth be told, I've never actually met anyone interested in computers/programming as me either. Sad Sad

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
geeshock

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nukes wrote:
In fact, I've never met another person who uses Linux (in RL) apart from when I was looking at unis Sad If truth be told, I've never actually met anyone interested in computers/programming as me either. Sad Sad

I now all to well what You meen. The user group I go to is close to 80 miles away. I live in an area where they have heard of linux and mabe even BSD but the only ppl around here that use linux are the isp's. No one it seems uses it around here for recrational pouposes. For me to get any type of formal training I'd also have to travel 80 miles to norfolk, va or 3 hours east to research triangle (Red Hat HQ area) in Durhum, NC

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2024 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nukes wrote:
I'm 17 and have no money
Hmm. In the USA, one generally gets in touch with their employer, and the employer pays the costs if they feel you have the knowledge to pass the examinations, no matter whether MCSE, A+, or RHCE certification is sought. Would that be possible for your situation, at some point? And also, if you are pursuing a degree in CompSci, maybe the university provides the testing as part of your outgoing education.
Quote:
In fact, I've never met another person who uses Linux (in RL)
RL? I'm not familiar....

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2024 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RL = Real Life ;)

I've been debating trying to get certified, not sure which one to try for Very Happy

munky
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2024 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To what extent was the material on the test?

-=mUnky=-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
geeshock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:
Nukes wrote:
I'm 17 and have no money
Hmm. In the USA, one generally gets in touch with their employer, and the employer pays the costs if they feel you have the knowledge to pass the examinations, no matter whether MCSE, A+, or RHCE certification is sought. Would that be possible for your situation, at some point? And also, if you are pursuing a degree in CompSci, maybe the university provides the testing as part of your outgoing education.
Quote:
In fact, I've never met another person who uses Linux (in RL)
RL? I'm not familiar....

It also depends on who your emplyer is. By day I work as a mild manered food retail associate. By night I spend my time sysadmining my wifes server co-located a good distance from here. So far the bussiness is covering it's own expenses but not much more.

One day I'll pursue those certs but remember, it's the experience that maters most. Let the certs accent what you already can do for the most part. The days of paper certs and no experience getting you in the door are prety much over.

lynch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nukes lives over in Scotland I think Wink
The 2 books I mentioned covered the test material pretty well.The Linux+ Bible is a decent reference also.I did forget to mention one other resource:the practice test(on CD) that comes with the Linux+ for Dummies.I never read the book Smile I got annoyed with every other Dummies book I have picked up but the test engines that come with them are very good.
The exam is long(about 90 Qs I recall + those survey Qs that Comptia asks at the end)but not overly difficult if your familiar with the CLI,which is a big part of it.
lynch

CMonster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too, Comptia Linux+ --but most of you know that already

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Linux Education and Certification All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: