USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Is Linux Worth the Effort?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » K12LTSP and Educational Applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2024 9:57 pm    Post subject: Is Linux Worth the Effort? Reply with quote

The Linux journal has a great essay on setting up LTSP for use in a school. The writer indicates that most of the hurdles to overcome are requirements by teachers to obtain simplicity and have things as close to the way they were "before" as possible! In spite of that, this writer is enthusiastic about the use of LTSP, saying it sure is a lot better than managing tens or hundreds of systems!

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005992

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2024 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how it's the teachers he has to overcome and not the students at all Wink

Now what does that say ........ Wink

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2024 2:57 am    Post subject: Need new teachers who are willing to learn Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
Funny how it's the teachers he has to overcome and not the students at all Wink

Now what does that say ........ Wink

It says that teachers are too busy to learn new things and are creatures of habit. I say buck that and embrace the new. Maybe we need some new teachers! I suspect we DO.

Wide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need new teachers who are willing to learn Reply with quote

masinick wrote:

It says that teachers are too busy to learn new things and are creatures of habit. I say buck that and embrace the new. Maybe we need some new teachers! I suspect we DO.

Goes for most all of us old folk. One thing I swore was never get old or set in my ways. We need to evolve and reinvent ourselves as technology comes forth.
I require all of my employees to complete at least 4 credits a year to stay with us. Most do more. Very Happy

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2024 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Need new teachers who are willing to learn Reply with quote

Wide wrote:
masinick wrote:

Goes for most all of us old folk. One thing I swore was never get old or set in my ways. We need to evolve and reinvent ourselves as technology comes forth.
I require all of my employees to complete at least 4 credits a year to stay with us. Most do more. Very Happy

Good idea. I am not sure that I get 4 credits a year, but I completed graduate studies after many years in the industry and I am constantly researching, often many hours after I ought to be in bed - like tonight!

It is a shame that in the case of the writer, it was the teachers who demanded something like the status quo. I can appreciate their position - their main job is to teach and they already spend many hours working on lesson plans and correcting work, and other planning. But don't we all? I am a senior project manager, and I plan all the time, have many meetings, yet I find time to research, sometimes during the day if it pertains to work, and often on my own time.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ask the millions around the world who use it! .......... I think that's a resounding "yes" I hear off in the distance Wink.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2024 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
Quote:
Ask the millions around the world who use it! .......... I think that's a resounding "yes" I hear off in the distance Wink.

It is not only education who can use LTSP, though there is a special K12LTSP specifically for that application. My next door neighbor, Mark, has a nice LTSP setup with a wireless router to connect a bunch of old laptops that were being disposed of at his wife's place of employment. They got the laptops very inexpensively and the kids use them for games and school work. Mark and his wife use them for a variety of things including Internet access.

LTSP, the Linux Terminal Server Project, is a nice project for sure!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » K12LTSP and Educational Applications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: