USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

OpenDns - If your ISP's DNS isn't cutting it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: OpenDns - If your ISP's DNS isn't cutting it. Reply with quote

MediaCom (my local isp) has dns servers that kept dying on my.... i thought it was a router issue at first, but it's a brand new router...... lo and behold, everytime i reset the router it worked again, the dns was set to use the isp's dns automatically. I simply changed the dns to use opendns.com's numbers and it works perfectly........ actually, might even be faster Wink Worth a look if your ISP has crappy DNS servers. Also, as you can tell from the list below, it has a ton of nice features you can play with too Very Happy

OpenDns - If your ISP's DNS isn't cutting it.
http://www.opendns.com/features/overview/
Quote:

Block the bad sites and whitelist the good.
Phishing Protection

We operate PhishTank.com, the world's most trusted source of phishing data. We integrate that data into an intelligence feed on our DNS servers to keep everyone on your network safe from phony sites trying to steal personal information.
Domain Blocking

You want to secure your network and have control over what resolves. We give you that control by providing the tools to block any website or DNS zone on the Internet, all through an easy-to-use interface.
Adult Site Blocking

Safeguard your kids, protect your students, or limit your corporate liability by blocking adult websites. Our adult site blocking solution can be deployed in minutes and provides granular levels of blocking. Hundreds of school districts are already using OpenDNS to achieve CIPA compliance. Did we mention it's completely free?
Web Proxy Blocking

Prevent people on your network from bypassing the access restrictions you put in place. Blocking Web proxies helps ensure your network remains secure.
Domain Whitelisting

We provide a (growing) list of Web content filtering categories to block, but sometimes there is a domain you want to make sure is never blocked, even if it's listed in a feed. Have the final say with our Domain Whitelisting feature.
Got stats?
Statistics

Understand your Web traffic with intutive stats about your network's DNS. This is your data, and now you can view it like never before. And of course, if you don't want stats, we won't collect any DNS data from you, at all.

We're here to help.
Free technical support

If you have a complicated DNS setup and have questions not answered in our instructions, feel free to send us an email, IM or even give us a call. We've got DNS experts ready to help you start using OpenDNS today. We don't outsource this, so expect to talk to some engineering-types when you call. Smile
Make life easier for you and your users.
OpenDNS Guide

The OpenDNS Guide is the page your users see when they go to a website that doesn't exist or isn't resolving. We provide search results and offer suggestions to help your users get back on their way. This includes the use of our industry-leading domain spellchecking service to save them time and make them more productive.
Customization

We want what you want: happy users who feel comfortable using OpenDNS. Customize and brand our OpenDNS Guide and blocked pages, replacing our logo with your own. Show the users on your network that what they are seeing is trusted and safe.
Typo Correction

We don't think you should be punished with an annoying error message if you make a small typo, like typing google.cmo instead of google.com. That's why we correct that typo, and thousands more like it every day.

Shortcuts

Shortcuts are like AOL keywords that you control. Set up a simple shortcut like "help" that people on your network can use to find your company IT helpdesk, or "HR" that takes them to your company HR Web site. You can set up network shortcuts and still let all the users on your network create their own.

Make DNS outages a thing of the past.
Large Cache

OpenDNS operates the largest and most intelligent DNS caches in the world. As a result, when you ask us a question, we almost always have the answer. This results in an overall faster way to navigate the Internet.
Ultra-Reliable Network

Our architecture was designed to withstand even the worst of network failures and still serve your DNS reliably. Feel free to dive in and learn more about our architecture and how we run a zero-downtime network.

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using OpenDNS for over a year. My DSL setup was suffering the exact same problem - my ISP was choking on me and a router reset cleared the problem for a few days. Rarely do I have to reset the router, lately. They are a VERY Linux savvy outfit, too.

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2024 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool..... I just found them last night. I had been experiencing many DNS failures, hopefully this change solves all those issues now Very Happy

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
jbilas
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've had lots of issues with my ISP dns servers too. Most of the time I used 4.2.2.1-4.2.2.3 which seemed to be more reliable and much faster. Now I'm cruising on FiOS and Verizon's servers are extremely fast so far.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realize how lucky I am that I've almost never had issues with DNS...

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2024 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbilas wrote:
Now I'm cruising on FiOS and Verizon's servers are extremely fast so far.
Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

jbilas
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2024 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:
jbilas wrote:
Now I'm cruising on FiOS and Verizon's servers are extremely fast so far.
Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Oh yeah, did I mention how fast my i-net connection is Question 10/5 MBps Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

bdquick
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2024 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crappy and Mediacom in the same sentence, gee never thought I'd hear that. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: