USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

How long does it take to do a dist-upgrade on your distro?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » System Administration and Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2024 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
As I've said elsewhere, Arch sounds like a great distro. and one of these days I intend to install it, but right now ....... things are in a bit of a tangle ......
I almost went back to Arch, but I needed a 64 bit distro and their forum answers left me feeling uneasy about things, so I'm not putting Arch on that box. I'd try it on the laptop, but I'm still satisfied with PCLOS.
JP, I think you SHOULD try Arch at some point. If it works for you, you would probably love it for its simplicity and speed.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2024 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:
JP wrote:
As I've said elsewhere, Arch sounds like a great distro. and one of these days I intend to install it, but right now ....... things are in a bit of a tangle ......
I almost went back to Arch, but I needed a 64 bit distro and their forum answers left me feeling uneasy about things, so I'm not putting Arch on that box. I'd try it on the laptop, but I'm still satisfied with PCLOS.
JP, I think you SHOULD try Arch at some point. If it works for you, you would probably love it for its simplicity and speed.

I agree. It will take a bit of doing to get it up at first, but there are a lot of us around to help - plus we already have those great notes. Once up with Arch EVERYTHING is easy street from there on out.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2024 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to do an upgrade Reply with quote

masinick wrote:
Hey tlmiller, if you loathe typing in commands, but you would at least consider creating an alias, try doing this:

put this line into a one line script, call it dist.bash.

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade

The -y will say yes when it asks if you want to upgrade the packages.

Make that file executable like this:
Code:
chmod +x dist.bash

Then create an alias like this:

Code:
alias ug=~/dist.bash

and put that alias into your .bashrc file, source it by entering
Code:
source ~/.bashrc
and now you can type in ug from the command line and it will do the upgrade for you.

I tried this scheme on both MEPIS and sidux and it seemed to work.

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2024 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it (no debian systems here) but I think you could just make an alias in the .bashrc file Wink

Code:

alias ug=`sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade`

reload your bashrc file by
source ~/.bashrc
or by typing
bash
at the command line.........or open up a new terminal.......your choice of 3 ways to get the new alias to work Wink

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2024 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, that is what I intended to say, but your approach is better - saves creating a file. You have to source (or dot) the .bashrc file.

I created the script, that way I can call it from elsewhere if I want to, plus I created an alias to the script and associated it with the script. If I want to put other fanciness in there, that way I can. Your approach is certainly more elegant though!

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2024 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I rebooted sidux and it still works fine. If it breaks, I'll back out the offending packages and fix them. I do not expect that to happen often, if at all, so this approach is handy. I should add
Code:
alias ug="pacman -Syu"
on my Arch system! Wink

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ALOT of alias's for ssh systems........ Wink

alias work=`ssh -l crouse -p XXXXX 203.34.xxx.xxx`

stuff like that......... alias's make my life easier ...this way i don't have to type as much Very Happy

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2024 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:

EDIT: That warning you posted is on the sidux forums. It's the same thing that was going on when the servers were down around the US. That was why I had to mirror the German sidux mirror to upgrade. I got a post from a guy in Ohio that they were having ice storms there and a lot of power lines were down and the internet was affected. I assume they are still working on the problem, but if you read the thread, you would see that they found a workaround right away by changing the repo's to testing instead of sid ... a piece of cake! OTOH, if you were trying to prove a point, you did ..... nobody, and no distro is perfect! Thanks for reminding us Very Happy Very Happy .

And because of all this trouble I prefer Archlinux and Pacman. Pacman does the job for me Wink
well and if not take a look here, 10 minutes after I have point it out it was fixed. http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.html?id=43830

pacman have a server list. It's start at the nearest server and fastest server, if there is any problem with a package or what ever, it jumps automatically to the next server.

now i give you a example from a bad package. The package was fixed after 6 hours I pointed it out. http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.html?id=43575

well if a distrobution own the packages they can fix them. But SIDUX is for me a fake. I tell you why.

I think someone from SIDUX developmers learned from Peter Knopper how to make a LiveCD. ( I went to the seminar from Peter Knopper (Knoppix) too Wink ) The build from SIDUX is very semilar for me to Knoppix Smile
Then they are thinking they are smart, let the debian community take care about all the apps, we take all the best from differant servers and hope it will run on SIDUX.
This is the base from SIDUX. And this is why I don't like SIDUX, because this guys don't take care and maintaining the packages how it have to be.

That's the differant SIDUX and Archlinux. Archlinux maintaining and take care there packages by them self. If something goes worse, it will be fixed from Archlinux in several hours. In the mean time you can think about what you like to do, Option one a rollback, option two download the older packages from some outdated servers how allways 1-14 days behind us a work around Wink

@JP

It is not only a prove, for me this are points about SIDUX, how I don't like. The thing is, the people behind SIDUX ignore those minds and telling you, well then use then another distro.

Example, believe me or not, Ubuntu this hype have disapoint millions of Users. What are you thinking where the user are now? The most are going back to Windows or Mac, few of them gave another distro a chance. A User how is disapoint about Linux, first he will not promote Linux, secound it will be difficult to get them back. Ubuntu is also a big fake for me. The bill they will get soon. Dell is planing to move forward to Novell/openSUSE soon. http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories#Dell

About debian, I respect there way. Debian is made for old dusty computers, but not for modern boxes. Well see "debian etch" how got never even a quick security fix. They are living in the old days, with there old computers. There are in the stoneages Laughing
I have debian etch installed on one of my boxes, just monitoring how they are doing. Since released there was not any security update for the kernel. I asked in the forum what is going on. Some "hungry lady" from Norway try to tell me "those things don't affect debian, they have there own kernel build". Sad
See the last Kernel exploid. How people think: Well I am the only one how use this computer, or people how have access to the computer they don't know about anythink. Well that's Wrong! I am using a security hole in a browser, acroreader, flash, java or what ever to get the local access to your computer, and run "use" the exploid. This never even affect much the servers, it affect the homeuser and desktops. Welcome in the world of botnet's.
Well, what do I care ......... Wink
I was talking about this a time ago on the SuSE channels. Well they learned there lesson and understand now. The openSUSE Kernel is allready us Update. This goes very quick now with security fixes by SuSE.

Well regular User don't know about those things. Even Linux Users don't read the daily security news. It is the responsible from a good Linux distrobution to take care about it for there Users, and protect there Users. Well Archlinux does it, openSUSE does it. Debian didn't do it.

Good night Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anticapitalista

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -d is a good option when in X using Sid repos.

You could also boot straight into init 3 to do your dist-upgrades by adding 3 to the grub/menu.lst

Re-post above.

Sidux wants to be as 100% sid as possible so it only maintains its own
packages where necessary and often help to fix broken apps in sid that then get passed back to the original devs/packagers.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject: -d is the download only option Reply with quote

anticapitalista wrote:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -d is a good option when in X using Sid repos.

You could also boot straight into init 3 to do your dist-upgrades by adding 3 to the grub/menu.lst

Re-post above.

Sidux wants to be as 100% sid as possible so it only maintains its own
packages where necessary and often help to fix broken apps in sid that then get passed back to the original devs/packagers.

This is documented on the sidux site http://manual.sidux.com/en/sys-admin-apt-en.htm

The apt-get dist-upgrade -d downloads the changes. The sidux site also recommends reviewing their site for any issues, doing a dist-upgrade once a week, but at the very least on a monthly basis.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2024 1:14 am    Post subject: This GRUB page will give you MORE than you need to know Reply with quote

BrionS wrote:
Good to know masinick.

I'm fairly comfortable with APT, but I wasn't sure if there was a more compelling reason to run smxi instead of dist-upgrade. However, when a kernel update goes through, I'm sure I will run smxi because it does a great job of re-installing my NVidia drivers and other things like that which need to be re-built for each kernel.

One problem I currently have (and not sure how exactly I will go about fixing it given my current drive partitions) is that every time get a new kernel, I have to copy the changes it makes to /boot and GRUB into my old Ubuntu partition where the active GRUB installation is (otherwise I never see the changes in the menu). I'm sure you can I can talk offline about that though since you're kind of the master of multi-boot (at least that I've seen around here). Very Happy

Returning to the topic of GRUB, if you need more examples than what I gave you the other day, take a look at the Web page http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm and it will give you more than you need and plenty of examples. Let me know if there is anything specific I can help you with - would be glad to exchange PM messages to get your configuration and help you out if you need it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » System Administration and Security All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: