USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Linux Noob Getting Started looking for some step-by-step

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » System Administration and Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Linux Noob Getting Started looking for some step-by-step Reply with quote

I'm basically looking for some good references (whether by book, or online) that will effectively show me hot to run Linux as I do Winduh's .

I'm pretty advanced in terms of my WinDuh's skills, as in regedit, bat files, Windows networking, and a bunch of other stuff too

Preferably to something like RedHat/CentOS, or maybe Fedora Core.

Help is appreciated.

The idea here is for me to understand what I'm doing here, you see just getting googling a how-to to get such and such thing working isn't enough, I have to understand what the commands actually do instead of mindlessly typing/copying commands.

lynch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to USALUG, justin. Smile
For just some solid Linux background, the old standbys are still some of the best:
Running Linux A distribution-neutral guide for servers and desktops.
Linux in a Nutshell A good command reference.
Plus some free online books:
The Linux Cookbook
http://freebooks.homelinux.org/
http://www.linux-books.us/linux_general.html

The distribution.version books are OK until things (read versions) change and the instructions become different. (Yes, they do that in Linux too.)
I try to keep my personal Linux library distro-neutral. For distro-specific and version-specific things, I use the search engines, and distro-specific web sites and forums.
HTH Smile
lynch

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know of any one comprehensive resource online. It's kind of a situation by situation process depending on what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

If you don't mind laying out a little cash, here is the book to have:
Running Linux, Fifth Edition

Covers everything from the simplest tasks to system administration and configuration.

Welcome to USALUG! Very Happy

inactive

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spelling counts, too. lol.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^And so does capitalization, something you won't be used to.

About time you got around to signing up.

platinummonkey
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2024 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to USALUG!!!

http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/
http://www.linuxtopia.org/LinuxSecurity/
too Wink good starters

and just have patience and fun while learning! You are likely to mess something horribly up! Everyone does it at some point in time, just live and learn Razz

USB Boot - Archlinux i686 kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 USB boot
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2024 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin -- Welcome to the LUG, Glad to have you here!!

In addition to the above books and web sites, I like The Linux Bible and the Linux Phrasebook. There are a lot of newbie-type tutorial sites in the net - Although it won't necessarily help you out (because it's Debian) if you change your mind about Red Hat/Fedora, I like Keith Parkansky's site for Debian stuff Clik Wink
aboutdebian.com wrote:
Why Not Red Hat ?

Red Hat is in a tough spot. Most of their revenue streams are based on sales, support, and training while the open nature of Linux has resulted in thousands of freely-available Linux resources on the Web. Their survival depends on having a product that is proprietary enough to make you dependent upon them for upgrades and support. And now that they are a publically-held company they are under pressure to meet the expectations of Wall Street analysts for revenue growth and cash flows every quarter. (Did you think it was just a coincidence that they churned out new versions at an average of two a year?) In time, Red Hat's dominance will likely kill off smaller commercial distributions like Mandrake and TurboLinux and dealing with Red Hat will be no different than dealing with Microsoft.
. When I used his site for Debian Woody, he was very detailed in his explanations of what you were doing and why Wink . I still go back there every so often for different things I want to find out about.

aboutdebian.com wrote:
Why Us ?

First of all, No Advertising! With so many sites out there being so cluttered with banner and pop-up ads that it's down-right painful to use them, we wanted to keep your Linux learning experience free of such distractions. As an alternative, we have chosen to use Amazon book links and sell Debian discs and gear to try and raise the funds necessary to keep this site operating. We feel this approach offers a win-win situation in which we raise operating revenue and you get some great books, software, etc. in the process.

Secondly, Linux resources tend to fall into two categories; those for newbies that cover the basics but never get into the "fun stuff" like servers and firewalls, and those that do get into the fun stuff but assume the reader has a lot of experience with Linux.

We take the middle ground here, "fun stuff for newbies" if you will. We feel the best way to learn is by doing. So after covering the basics on the Linux Basics page, and getting a system up and running on the Installation and Packages pages, we dive right into the fun stuff. When you learn by doing and then buy some Linux books you'll better understand what's being presented and better appreciate the depth of the material.

I used to have about 10 or 15 other sites marked that were pretty much distro-neutral, but that was a few crashes ago Laughing Laughing .

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » System Administration and Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: