USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Sprint mobile broadband

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject: Sprint mobile broadband Reply with quote

So I got my aircard in. I downloaded the walkthrough from Sprint on getting it to work in linux. I've activated the card in windows and tested that it works.

I've set everything up as they say in kppp. If I go and query the modem it responds as it should. when I try to connect, it dials #777, and as soon as it gets a response, crashes telling me pppd error status 1. If I look at the details, I have:

Code:
pppd[3464]:  The remote system is required to authenticate itself but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.  (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)

Any ideas on what's wrong?

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2024 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUUURRRR, nevermind. found it in the README.debian...looked right at it 5 times and didn't strike me:

Code:
KPPP also requires that the ppp daemon be run with the "noauth" option.  However, ppd's default setting, in /etc/ppp/options, is "auth", and for security reasons it should remain so.  To work around this problem, uncomment "noauth" in /etc/ppp/peeras/kpp-options.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2024 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...it connects, says I'm connected, shows an IP address, but I can't get on the net?

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2024 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I disconnected, reconnected, and it works just fine now...working beautifully in fact. Almost as fast as my home network.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2024 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to modify the usbserial module? Currently I'm having to use a script to do a "rmmod usbserial && modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1199 product=0x0023", but I'd like to modify the module if possible so that I don't have to do that.

Stuka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2024 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this bit of advice (edited for your numbers):

edit /etc/modprobe.conf/usbserial and add:
options usbserial vendor=0x1199 product=0x0023

at http://junocake.blogspot.com/2008/06/sierra-wireless-mc5725-on-debian-linux.html - it's not your card, but I think it covers your issue.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweetness, thanks Stuka!

I've been having fun showing off my Sprint aircard and it's Linux lovingness at work lately. My coworkers can't believe I come in with it (I work at Verizon Wireless). But I point out that since we won't officially support Linux and Sprint does, Sprint gets my $$, and I will always recommend Sprint to everyone I know. Nothing will change that until my company wakes up and smells the open source coffee.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2024 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
sweetness, thanks Stuka!

I've been having fun showing off my Sprint aircard and it's Linux lovingness at work lately. My coworkers can't believe I come in with it (I work at Verizon Wireless). But I point out that since we won't officially support Linux and Sprint does, Sprint gets my $$, and I will always recommend Sprint to everyone I know. Nothing will change that until my company wakes up and smells the open source coffee.
Tim, I think this is the same - or similar - card that my former wife got for her Sony Vaio laptop. In her case, I think she actually has the variation where she has the broadband card in her phone, and uses a wireless adapter to get a signal from it. They have another variation that allows you to have a broadband mobile interface connected to a router in your home. I presume that is what you have.

I am considering looking into my options there. One thing I could do is get wireless cards for my two desktops, then just use the mobile broadband access in a phone. That way, no matter where I am, signal willing, I can have broadband internet access.

Are you having better success with it, and is it now happy with Linux systems? I have not had any issues with my approach I have been using, which is to have Comcast Broadband into my home - cable TV, phone, and Internet. If I look into other options, though, I could conceivably save some money. I am open to other alternatives, as long as I can get NFL Network on my flatscreen set and I can get a fast broadband Internet connection. If I can get it everywhere, so much the better!

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masinick wrote:
tlmiller wrote:
sweetness, thanks Stuka!

Tim, I think this is the same - or similar - card that my former wife got for her Sony Vaio laptop. In her case, I think she actually has the variation where she has the broadband card in her phone, and uses a wireless adapter to get a signal from it. They have another variation that allows you to have a broadband mobile interface connected to a router in your home. I presume that is what you have.

I am considering looking into my options there. One thing I could do is get wireless cards for my two desktops, then just use the mobile broadband access in a phone. That way, no matter where I am, signal willing, I can have broadband internet access.

Are you having better success with it, and is it now happy with Linux systems? I have not had any issues with my approach I have been using, which is to have Comcast Broadband into my home - cable TV, phone, and Internet. If I look into other options, though, I could conceivably save some money. I am open to other alternatives, as long as I can get NFL Network on my flatscreen set and I can get a fast broadband Internet connection. If I can get it everywhere, so much the better!

Other than that one time that it showed it was connected but didn't work, I haven't had any issues with it working. I just tested the usbserial file and it works fine now too without having to unload the module now...so works AT LEAST as well as windows. I still have comcast broadband at home with wireless for when I'm at home (and actually my home (180 years old) is centrally wired for gigabit over copper), but when I'm at work, or someone else's house, this is for that. I honestly couldn't be happier with it. Today at work a coworker did some speed tests against his PC5740 aircard (on Vista), and my Compaq (with a slowly dying hard drive) smoked it like it was nothing.

Stuka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2024 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Glad my google-fu pulled through for ya!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: