USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

KDE 3.5.10 Release Announcement

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: KDE 3.5.10 Release Announcement Reply with quote

KDE announces their latest maintenance release of the stable 3.5 series, the 3.5.10 release.

Also, in case some of you have never seen the full KDE 4.1 Release Announcement, you can read it here.

inactive

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2024 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on it in Cooker for 2 days now, btw.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2024 3:49 am    Post subject: Cookin' with KDE and Mandriva Reply with quote

DedannaRocks! wrote:
Been on it in Cooker for 2 days now, btw.

I will have to try that. Actually, on one of my systems I have KDE 4.1 in the upcoming 2024.0 release. so it is considered to be part of the Cooker too.

inactive

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2024 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. they've left the option to install 3.5.9, 3.5.10, and KDE4.

i personally can't stand KDE4, so have it in my skip.list in Cooker.

come to think of it, i can't stand KDE LOL.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2024 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubuntu 8.04.1 now has KDE 3.5.10. Kubuntu 8.10 test and Mandriva 2024.0 test have KDE 4.1. The Mandriva implementation actually has few KDE 3.5 helps in it to ease the transition and is one of the better KDE test implementations around from a migration strategy point of view. The Kubuntu 8.10 implementation is very good as far as coming along. I've used it for most of a weekend recently with good results. While I do think that KDE 4.2 is needed in order to get a really good release out there, KDE 4.1 has been a good improvement and I am now finding quite a bit of it to be useful and usable. Konqueror, in particular, has turned into a most excellent File and Web browser. While the new Dolphin is a very fast file manager and is a bit lighter than Konqueror for just that purpose, overall Konqueror is feature rich, stable, and a pretty good overall browser. Konqueror now starts up natively in KDE easily faster than any other browser and is near Opera in rendering speed, just a few ticks, but not far off the rendering speed of Firefox and SeaMonkey. I'm getting so I use Firefox at work and SeaMonkey or Konqueror at home. (Iceape right now, the Debian implementation of SeaMonkey).

inactive

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2024 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one slight problem.

Mandriva has made KDE 3.5.10 depend on mono. They have done the same with OOo.

So, looks like KDE, OOo, and several other aps are out for me in Cooker. If they release RC (coming any time now) with the same dependency, then Mandriva's going bye-bye altogether for me, except for 2024.1.

The bad thing about that? I just blew $51 I didn't have to renew my Powerpack subscription, not realizing this was happening at the time.

No KDE for me, none whatsoever now. 4.x doesn't work for me, and doesn't do what I need it to (what little I use of KDE); it crashes on load.

SO, Houston, we got a HUGE problem with KDE3 and KDE4 in Cooker. If you go to the forum there, and click up the Next Mandriva Linux and Cooker section, you'll see a big fat thread about mono and 2024 beta 2 in Cooker. We're all ticked to say the least.

Looks like they're also going to release RC with a release critical bug.

So, this will drastically decrease my sound work that I do on Mandriva, not having the specific aps I use with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: