USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

antiX won't network

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2024 3:46 am    Post subject: antiX won't network Reply with quote

On my trip down here to Oregon, we stopped at two different motels and I was able to get on the Internet with both my wife's M$O$, and my antiX (Knoppix was a dud). Now that we are settled in a motel for a week, I can't get antiX to connect. The wicd says it's searching for an IP address. the blue bar goes back and forth for a while, and then it says not connected. I called up the local ISP, and they said they don't block Linux or BSD or any other OS, so I can't figure out what's wrong. the tech at the ISP asked me what my IP address is, but I couldn't get one using ifconfig or /sbin/ifconfig, and since I can't get on the internet, I can't use the internet to find my IP either.

Since I set it up with DNS, I'm wondering if I can assign an IP somehow to see if that will help?

Any ideas Question

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2024 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: antiX won't network Reply with quote

JP wrote:
On my trip down here to Oregon, we stopped at two different motels and I was able to get on the Internet with both my wife's M$O$, and my antiX (Knoppix was a dud). Now that we are settled in a motel for a week, I can't get antiX to connect. The wicd says it's searching for an IP address. the blue bar goes back and forth for a while, and then it says not connected. I called up the local ISP, and they said they don't block Linux or BSD or any other OS, so I can't figure out what's wrong. the tech at the ISP asked me what my IP address is, but I couldn't get one using ifconfig or /sbin/ifconfig, and since I can't get on the internet, I can't use the internet to find my IP either.

Since I set it up with DNS, I'm wondering if I can assign an IP somehow to see if that will help?

Any ideas Question

to check your status (even if eth0 is down, replace eth0 with your NIC)
Code:
ifconfig eth0

Code:
sudo /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.1

set ip address to 192.168.10.1 with default netmask (255.255.255.0)

Code:
sudo /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.10.2

set default gateway to 192.168.10.2

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THX, I'll give that a try in the AM Wink

[EDIT]: Mon 8:45 AM Thanks LDFoD, I went downstairs this morning to print off your post, came back upstairs, and the internet came up without any help at all ..... I think you scared it into working Laughing ..... well, now at least, I've got the code to try it if I need it. I'll just keep it with the lappy Wink ..... thanks again Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by JP on Mon Oct 13, 2024 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough this happens a lot with me and linux

I don't know why.... The opposite seems hold true for windows boxes.

Anyway, I'm glad it's working again!

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Suggested networking algorithm Reply with quote

I think that some of the timing and retry routines in the networking stuff could still stand some improvement. To me, it ought to be something like this:

1. Try to establish networking, and wait up to 30 seconds initially.

2. If successful, release the hold and end the procedure, and leave the network operational.

3. If not connected after 30 seconds, offer to retry, but also make it possible to stop retrying.

4. If retry, go into the background for up to another 30 seconds.

5. If still unsuccessful, offer to retry up to N times, and interactively allow the administrator to either abort the attempts, take the default number of retries, or change the number of retries.

Default should be to set up networking quietly, and if it works, be unobtrusive, but if there is a failure, notify the administrator (in this case, the user) so action can be taken if desired.

eriefisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No "sudo" in Antix, use "su" or "s**" for graphical apps. It was probably just a bad signal at that moment. You could also try the mepis network tools, as root type "mnetwork". Ceni is another option as well.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Amplifying on eriefisher's comments Reply with quote

eriefisher wrote:
No "sudo" in antiX, use "su" or "s**" for graphical apps. It was probably just a bad signal at that moment. You could also try the MEPIS network tools, as root type "mnetwork". ceni is another option as well.

To amplify on eriefisher's comments (by the way, eriefisher probably provides more support answers than anyone else at the antiX forums, so we are fortunate to have both he and anti visiting here!) --- there are three tools that antiX provides. Anticapitalista does not have Wifi networking right now, so he relies on others to suggest and test these features. The three tools are:

1. mnetwork, which comes from the MEPIS tools
2. wicd, which comes from the wireless development community, and
3. ceni, a console tool, which tends to be pretty quick when it is working correctly.

A recent change in wicd since antiX M7.5 was released may be biting you - if you have been updating antiX. The solution in that case is to completely remove wicd, then reinstall it. If you DO take that approach and you run into trouble, check the antiX forum; this has been discussed there. Here is a link to one of the discussions.

In case the other su admin tool name did not come through it is s followed by u followed by x - it is an su tool that manages the X level authentication when you become root, similar to kdesu or gtksu or the other graphically based su interfaces. With the su followed by x version, it keeps you at the command line, but then lets you run an X based tool from the command line, so it has subtle differences from kdesu and the others.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: