USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Vietnamese BKAV raises antivirus bar

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » System Administration and Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject: Vietnamese BKAV raises antivirus bar Reply with quote

I kinda thought this belonged in Security, rather than Computing News, ....... just because Wink

CNet News wrote:
Top-notch Vietnamese software BKAV raises antivirus bar

......... There is a new trend of viruses that do just that, and there are currently a few of them in the wild. Using the standard method to remove them will result in crippling the operating system, making it impossible to log in, and causing the loss of common features such as cut and paste or the ability to go on to the Internet.

(I actually sat down in the BKIS labs and tried a few known antivirus software applications against two specimens of these nasty viruses, including one identified by Symantec as Infostealer.Gampass and another identified by McAfee as Generic.dx. It's important to note that different security firms might identify the same virus differently, and sometimes a new virus can be identified as an existing virus. The applications, collectively, did detect and remove the viruses but also rendered the system unusable afterward.)

BKAV, by contrast, deals with each threat (and its variants) individually by dissecting its codes and meticulously countering exactly whatever it is the virus is designed to do. This is a lot of work, and it takes dedication. Quang and his colleagues take turns working literally around the clock to discover new threats and develop updates to counter them, typically within 24 hours.

Clik Wink

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2024 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I downloaded it, and will try it on one of the club boxes.
Even though I do run the free ones to test on various boxes, it is a constant expense, PITA,
and some of them with various conflicts, weird problems, and dubious value for the several different MS OS I have set up. Some of the best, and often less expensive, lately IMO have come from outside the US. OOPS

richard
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look at it and on the surface it seems pretty good until you try and auto update the software. Then you find the catch and that is you cannot auto update the software which in this day and age is vital and has in my opinion ruled it as a viable piece of software.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard wrote:
I've had a look at it and on the surface it seems pretty good until you try and auto update the software. Then you find the catch and that is you cannot auto update the software which in this day and age is vital and has in my opinion ruled it as a viable piece of software.

That's probably when the proprietary "full-version-will-be-necessary-for-an-update" notice comes up Wink Laughing Laughing

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2024 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The updates have to be gotten en mass from the site. The update bundle was below the download bundle. There will be new ones so they say.

No "auto update" as such. Not sure about the "paid for version.

richard
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2024 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get auto updates with the paid for version.

lberg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2024 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
That's probably when the proprietary "full-version-will-be-necessary-for-an-update" notice comes up

haha

Seriously, this looks like a very cool AV... It will be interesting to see how this influences the current "big" AV companies.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2024 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some very good anti-virus contenders coming out of the old Soviet Union countries, Germany, Asia, and even the Mid East. I have tried some that have an English or Deutsch ( a stretch ) translation. I don't think I have ended up with the same solution on more than two of the 12 or so boxes. I found, other than the usual suspects, ( Norton, CA Zone Alarn now has an anti-virus, Avanquest, AVG, AVAST etc ) add to the mix AVIRA, K7, Kav8, and a few more that don't come to mind. This one is welcome. A few I tried at the club, and discarded for now. Give them a year or two maybe.

Look for more as time goes on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » System Administration and Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: