USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Setting up a separate partition for /home

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2024 10:28 pm    Post subject: Setting up a separate partition for /home Reply with quote

It's just about time for me to do this. I've been reading how-to's and the best one I've found is http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/01/29/move-home-to-its-own-partition/

Can anyone verify that this would work correctly if I used rsync instead of find/cpio (as suggested in the comments)? Would permissions remain intact?

I am wondering if this is a legitimate source of information because there are some comments that say "don't use this" etc; yet there are also comments that it worked perfectly. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did catch the one error, ment/ should have been mnt/, otherwise it looks like it should work ..But on an older install where there have been many updates and changes, it might be risky. If a fairly new install, I would probably just start over with better preinstall partition decisions. But that is me.

I always make a separate home and swap, and always logical in the extended if there is any chance in the World I will save that distro, and would probably reinstall before I went through all that, but I am lazy.

One thing that I would caution about is making a partition before / that might require Grub work unless it is a new primary, and that gets into another whole mess with some partitioning tools.

Should you decide to take this mission, this message will self destruct... OOPS sorry, got carried away. Good luck and have wonderful Christmas season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: