USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Any ideas about what particulars of Java (job stuff)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Shell Scripting and Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ephemeral
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Any ideas about what particulars of Java (job stuff) Reply with quote

Any ideas about what particulars of Java the business world is generally interested in.

For instance if i learn Java better, and apply for a generic programming job, what do you think theyd be most interested in and what would they ask about?

I say generic job:

for example at a bank a particular advert just says Data Modelling and Parser developement.

Im going for a job involving Matlab which is what im used to, if i dont get it, I need a serious rethink and i might have to do a crappy job + learn Java at home (as this seems the in thing).

Stuka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2024 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the bigger uses of Java are in "Enterprise" situations - Oracle's SOA Suite is Java based, and used to integrate legacy or 3rd party apps to Oracle EBS. Java's also (oddly enough, IMHO) big on smaller devices as well - set top boxes, phones, etc. J2EE (Enterprise) and J2ME (Embedded) are probably key things to learn if you actually want a Java related job.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2024 4:50 pm    Post subject: Where I've seen Java used most Reply with quote

Most Java related work I have heard of will involve work on user interfaces, back end databases, and Internet access, and typically provide Web access to large databases. What Stuka suggests in terms of specific components is most certainly true. Many companies that I know of have some kind of connection with WebSphere (IBM's Middleware app.), Weblogic (the previous middleware king before WebSphere seemed to take over), and quite likely some form of Web server access, sometimes managed indirectly through the middleware.

So a good Java position, unless it is totally entry level, would require background in as many interfaces as possible, both on the Web end and to back end databases. That is what most commercial Java stuff is about.

There is another emerging area with Java, and interestingly enough, it's where Java had its original start. It was expected that Java would emerge on small embedded devices and interact with networks. It took well over a decade for that to play out, but it seems that may be one of the hottest potential areas for Java - smart phones and stuff like that. I know little about what is needed there, but a bit of study and awareness of what Java developers are doing in that space couldn't hurt.

In the company where I work right now, almost all of the Java related work is on large UNIX and Linux systems. On Windows, we tend to standardize mostly on off the shelf products either offered by Microsoft or major Microsoft software vendors. Have not seen Java used in that area - could be, but I've seen it mostly in the UNIX and Linux spaces.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Shell Scripting and Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: