USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Swap partition doesn't load- segfaults
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2024 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a ubuntu install? yes
how new is it? 3-4 months, maybe?
did swap work before?I'm pretty sure... When I booted to the livecd to increase the swap space I had to do a swapoff.. That seems like it might be when the problem started.
did apt work before? Yes, until just recently. (as in a couple of days ago)
which livecd are you using? ubuntu 8.04

jester

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2024 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just realized that ubuntu probably uses dev UIDs for /etc/fstab and since your old swap no longer exists, you may well have a mismatch between /etc/fstab and the actual device

try this
Code:
less /etc/fstab | grep swap
sudo vol_id -u /dev/sda6

compare the output of both lines and edit /etc/fstab (sudo required) to reflect the output of vol_id (if it differs of course)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, both are the same. Which is not really a surprise, I've been keeping fstab updated. I actually had /dev/sda6 instead of its uuid in fstab and it worked (not for long, though.).

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2024 7:49 pm    Post subject: I use blkid to make sure I have the correct UUID entries Reply with quote

http://linux.die.net/man/8/blkid and http://linux.die.net/man/8/vol_id provide documentation for two commands that can be used to determine the UUID for a specific partition. With no arguments provided, blkid lists the device partitions and the block IDs associated with them in UUID form. The vol_ID is more commonly used from a procedure to obtain specific information and it is capable of detecting a variety of RAID setups to ensure that a RAID member, rather than the partition of interest is not incorrectly referenced. blkid is the common command line interface to the libuuid library and it is typically used to identify UUID information and related file system type and attribute information.

Typical usage - for me anyway - is to open a console, get to root access using sudo, su, s**, or equivalent mechanisms, then cd /root and run the command blkid > blkid.txt. I do this after installing a new distribution or when I've otherwise altered partition information. Then if I have to change any file system table information, it is right at my fingertips. I then use an editor that is capable of editing multiple files, and I edit /root/blkid.txt and /etc/fstab. That way, I can copy and paste blkid information containing the appropriate UUID information quickly, easily, and accurately. Note that this information can, will, and does change for any partition whose location or contents have changed at the core file system level (not just a new file here and there, but a new installation).

Using blkid with the file system table, /etc/fstab, even if you change quite a few things around, they are easy to modify simply by putting the most current UUID information in the file system table.

g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2024 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that that spot on the hd is just bad? I've reformatted it several times now and it always gives a segmentation fault.

Can anyone explain just what a segmentation fault IS? (or, more accurately, what the error means that I'm getting, because that term is just a holdover from the old system, I believe.)

lynch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Definition: segmentation fault: n. [Unix] 1. [techspeak] An error in which a running program attempts to access memory not allocated to it and core dumps with a segmentation violation error.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/segmentation-fault-on-linux-unix.html

g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2024 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: