USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Lightweight GNOME alternative emerges

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Lightweight GNOME alternative emerges Reply with quote

This note did come out a while ago, but how many of you have ever taken a look at LXDE? If I have, it was a short look. XFCE is certainly lighter than either GNOME or KDE and qualifies as a desktop environment. It is getting richer both in features though and in size. LXDE, on the other hand, ought to look and feel more like a window manager than a desktop manager, and hopefully will behave more like a window manager than a desktop manager in terms of system overhead - fast and efficient, yet provides some of the basic conveniences found in desktop managers.

Read this for more background on LXDE.

I have looked at SliTAZ, and indeed, SliTAZ is VERY small and light. I have also looked at TinyME, a PCLinuxOS derivative, and it, too, is light. I have not looked at LXDE on its own, but based on those experiences, this merits more attention and another look. Hope you take a look too.

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2024 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people are using LXDE on Mandriva 2024. Everyone who has commented on it in the forum really likes it. I haven't tried it, myself.

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2024 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only trouble i had with lxde on arch was with the sound ..... lxde doesn't seem to have a default mixer, took a bit of hacking to set somthing on the toolbar that worked for me. lxde is a nice fast setup though. Reminds me alot of IceWM

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
the only trouble i had with lxde on arch was with the sound ..... lxde doesn't seem to have a default mixer, took a bit of hacking to set somthing on the toolbar that worked for me. lxde is a nice fast setup though. Reminds me alot of IceWM

Yeah, from what I've gotten out of it from uses in SliTAZ and TinyME, it seems to be a cross between IceWM and XFCE, and I like both of them. Will have to work with it some more!

ghostdawg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like LXDE...it's nice and lightweight.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2024 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fool around with LXDE here and there. It is at its best when someone else first customizes it - I have seen a few good implementatons. I use XFCE and IceWM more often, though, especially on sidux, but KDE is still my number one desktop on my main sidux instance (and XFCE on my secondary sidux instances).

I have IceWM and XFCE frequently added to my distros, even SimplyMEPIS, where KDE is clearly the featured desktop. On my old Dell Dimension 4100, using XFCE or IceWM is almost a necessity these days because it is getting quite long in the tooth. My other systems run KDE real well though, so KDE actually gets more use than it did a year ago, before I got the extra systems.

anticapitalista

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2024 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try lxde on antiX, masinick.
It is fast and light, but I don't really like it. I prefer just fluxbox (and icewm) sometimes using rox desktop.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2024 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anticapitalista wrote:
Try lxde on antiX, masinick.
It is fast and light, but I don't really like it. I prefer just fluxbox (and icewm) sometimes using rox desktop.

Me too, i prefer IceWM, and Fluxbox - at least your implementation, would beat LXDE unless you, John, or one of our other buddies has spruced up LXDE. I'm sure it would perform superbly on antiX, but then again, so do IceWM and Fluxbox!

eriefisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2024 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used LXDE itself but I have used a few components of it. It defaults to Openbox which I'm not a big fan of but this can easily be switch.

ghostdawg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lxde on my debian install but hardly use it after the first try out. Gnome is my main desktop. For Fedora 10 I also use gnome with Mac OSX theme setup. For sourcemage I use fluxbox with alot of gtk apps thrown in. I used to like kde but not much anymore, though when I had mandriva 2024, I kept it.

crazypenguin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mas,

I have been using LXDE w/Openbox on Mepis for a while. It is nice to see another light weight desktop for Linux.

It is too bad UDE isn't progressing any faster..

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2024 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few LXDE implementations that suggest it is flexible, reasonably lightweight, and capable of more. With just a plain Fluxbox, a plain IceWM, or a plain LXDE, I prefer IceWM myself because I've had more experience with it. There are indications that it is possible to spruce up LXDE pretty nicely - and when that is done, it still comes in lighter than XFCE and way lighter than KDE or GNOME, so it is useful to watch out for those opportunities and possibilities.

I know how to edit config files, but I also tend to be lazy. I like to find a few "good ones", then when I do, I grab either their contents or their idea, or both.

I think as LXDE implementations mature, we will find them more and more useful. As they are right now, to me it is more a technology to watch than one to get particularly excited about. I agree about Openbox - it's OK, but there are better implementations out there. Definitely worth watching though; it is pretty light and fast.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2024 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LXDE seems to be getting pushed towards netbook distros; I've seen some references to it for Eee.

Using a mouse heavy WM/DM for my Eee might be a problem, from what I've seen. My Eee has a touchpad stutter that is merely irritating on its better days. I've read that other people gripe about it, too. If the stutter is a hardware problem, I can't imagine how frustrating FluxBox could become. And by extension, the other *box WM/DM implementations would be a bit rough, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: