USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

openDNS YES ......

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » System Administration and Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2024 4:30 am    Post subject: openDNS YES ...... Reply with quote

Many of you know it, but did you using it?
http://www.opendns.com

well I do, and I am glad I do.

openDNS is the best control over your network or computer.

I just uploaded in the Photo Gallery two new sceenshots from openDNS.

I tested a lot of differant setups. openDNS is the best parent control, because your smart kids can never change your settings.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Interesting

Thanks

lberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just switched my home router to use the openDNS nameservers. I don't NOTICE an improvement in speed, which they claim is one of the benefits.... But I've only been using them for about 5 mins.

Haven't created an account yet. That might come in the future if I continue to use the openDNS servers.

Thanks for the post, Jada. Smile

lynch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the nameservers on my router for years.
I also use them when I'm setting up a static IP on a nic.

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2024 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main fault with opendns is that it redirects to a search page rather than just returning that the domain was invalid - but hey i guess they have to make their money.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2024 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukes wrote:
My main fault with opendns is that it redirects to a search page rather than just returning that the domain was invalid - but hey i guess they have to make their money.

Both Time Warner Cable and Comcast Cable DNS servers do that anyways here in the US.

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2024 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can change that behavior for time warner and comcast, and probably with openDNS (maybe not, haven't used them)

you just remove the "search [domain list]" line from resolv.conf.

if you use dhclient you can set this behavior via /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf (see manpages for details)

if you use dhcpcd you can set this behavior too but the details vary by distro. basically this involves making sure that the -R command gets passed to dhcpcd.

I do not know if you can set this behavior to be automatic with pump... or other dhcp clients.

YMMV

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incorrect performance from OpenDNS, lately. Latency being only slightly better that ISP is only part of the problem I've had with OpenDNS.

Only when I use OpenDNS: many times when I open a secured web site, the security certificate is coming to me configured incorrectly, and I have to go through 4 mouse clicks to get to that target site, a site which works fine when I use my ISP for DNS. The error seems to stem from OpenDNS injecting their domain information into the certificate, and Firefox pops up an error dialog. Other people see and report the same problem, and OpenDNS just blames the configuration of the security certificate issuer as the source of this problem; as I said, this ONLY happens when I use OpenDNS. Great to know who causes this problem, but I got tired of answering the SAME questions 4 or 5 times each day. 16 to 20 wasted mouse clicks with 4 popups a day and the necessary interruptions to READ the popup each time, but this ONLY happens with OpenDNS.

I do return to using OpenDNS from time to time, but when I see that same issue repeat, poof! I go back to my ISP. I have 6 web users in my house suffering the same problem as I suffer, and I got tired of walking them through the proper responses. This certificate problem started around the end of last year, so it is not as if it is a new problem.

As a question for you professional OpenDNS users, I have an OpenDNS account, did I configure something in OpenDNS to cause this problem??

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VHockey86 wrote:
nukes wrote:

Both Time Warner Cable and Comcast Cable DNS servers do that anyways here in the US.

I am on TWC. I am using openDNS rather then the TWC service. But TWC didn't give you the options to block several things. openDNS is also a good parent control. You can blocking all chat's and foren, video and music downloads, and you can self decide what chat and forum is OK for use.
You can see it here
http://usalug.org/phpBB2/album_page.html?pic_id=478

It replaces firefox addblock on my box, and the not bug free filter "urlini" at Opera.
http://usalug.org/phpBB2/album_page.html?pic_id=477

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lynch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use the nameservers. I dont used the controls that jada speaks of.
I don't have any of the issues you mention, mmmna.

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2024 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn wrote:
you can change that behavior for time warner and comcast, and probably with openDNS (maybe not, haven't used them)

No, it happens at the DNS server level, not on your local machine.

You try to access "someInvalidDomain.com", and instead of the DNS Servers returning that the domain doesnt exist, it redirects you to another IP which is a TWC server w/ search results with the domain you tried to enter.

There might still be a hack to get around it, but it's not anything to do with something being installed on my PC.

That said...I rarely ever actually type a url, so it's not by any means a big deal for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » System Administration and Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: